AKG K167 TIËSTO - Discussion, Impression, Review & Appreciation Thread
Jan 1, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #1,292 of 1,489
I put my impressions on r/headphones so I thought i'd put them her as well. I used the k702 and denons as a reference since I think those are the most comparable performance wise in my headphone arsenal

[size=small] These were left burning in overnight as well as about 6-7 hours of listening from me yesterday.[/size]

[size=small] Soundstage - Large for a closed headphone - Good directional sound although generally the presentation is relatively up front just due to it being closed. That said, instrument separation is very solid and it uses the soundstage that it has effectively. Nowhere near as expansive or airy as the k702 nor as resonant as the k702 or denons.[/size]

[size=small] Detail - Very detailed. Cleaner presentation than the Denons but still very musical in its own right largely due to the fact that its a fast energetic headphone. You can hear everything in a recording. Not as analytic as the K702s but then again its not supposed to be since from what I read its locked into between what would be the studio and fun bass heavy setting on the AKG K267s.[/size]

[size=small] Bass - These things are insane. I'd say better bass than the Denons. The reason being is that while they won't sound as wild and thunderous, they are punchier due to the tightness that the bass has. Where denons have more of a "feeling" in the lower range rather than pitch so to speak these will slam you aggressively while giving an obvious intonation at the the same time. They extend very very low as well. They kill the k702 in this regard as that headphone just isn't really bass heavy as is although the k167 bass has a similar tightness. Just with way way more impact.[/size]

[size=small] Mids - Very natural - Vocals are presented in a very forward fashion, guitars sound nice and detailed and cut through when necessary. A lot depends on the recording. For example when listening to a band like Taking Back Sunday, Adam Lazzara's voice will be wailing at the forefront of everything, John Nolan's will be a bit further back and the guitars will be blasting you as well. However, when listening to something like Mineral which is very guitar focused, vocals come out lower in the mix as well. I'd say most of the time they tend to be very mid forward. Mids sound very smooth and liquidy. More forward than those of the Denons and less distant than those of the K702s due to the lesser soundstage.[/size]

[size=small] Upper Mids/Treble - Nice extension, smooth, not sibilant. Piano sounds extremely natural (granted these don't dethrone the king of classical in the AKGs) but they sound great in their own right.[/size]

[size=small] Final Impressions/Notes[/size]

[size=small] Not hard to amp at all (although i'd still recommend one), can easily be driven from an IPod, Isolate well (could barely hear them when listening in a car)[/size]

[size=small] Better all around headphone than the Denons or K702s. In the sense that the K702s lack aggression necessary for some music and the Denons lack the detail. I find the k167s to be a nice tweener as far as that goes with the capacity to perform well in a wide range of genres. The Denons do things better such as resonance and the k702s are better in that they're more detailed with more soundstage but where the k167 is strong is that it doesn't really do anything poorly.[/size]

[size=small] If you guys have any questions or would like me to listen to any specific artists or songs for impressions on any of my headphones mentioned above just let me know.[/size]

[size=small] EDIT: Forgot to comment on comfort - these do clamp a bit as they need a seal to isolate and they don't fit all the way around the ear so they can get fatiguing after a few hours. Other than that not too bad[/size]

Jan 2, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #1,294 of 1,489
I really love to unite sport and music - so i have to ask:
Does the headphones fit well during sports like Jogging, biking and working out?
(Have a regular head size)

Yeah they do, especially if you put he bands 1 more click in then you normally would.
Ex. I usually leave both bands at 4, if I put them both on 3, or 1 on 3, 1 on 4, it becomes more stable on my head.

Jan 2, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #1,295 of 1,489
Hey guys. I'm looking to pick these up, but I don't have a way to try them on beforehand since I'm Canadian.

Could I just ask how well they fit larger heads? For reference, my head barely does not fit on the largest headband setting for the Beyerdynamic DT990.

Thanks!

Jan 3, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #1,300 of 1,489
Quote:
I put my impressions on r/headphones so I thought i'd put them her as well. I used the k702 and denons as a reference since I think those are the most comparable performance wise in my headphone arsenal

[size=small] These were left burning in overnight as well as about 6-7 hours of listening from me yesterday.[/size]

[size=small] Soundstage - Large for a closed headphone - Good directional sound although generally the presentation is relatively up front just due to it being closed. That said, instrument separation is very solid and it uses the soundstage that it has effectively. Nowhere near as expansive or airy as the k702 nor as resonant as the k702 or denons.[/size]

[size=small] Detail - Very detailed. Cleaner presentation than the Denons but still very musical in its own right largely due to the fact that its a fast energetic headphone. You can hear everything in a recording. Not as analytic as the K702s but then again its not supposed to be since from what I read its locked into between what would be the studio and fun bass heavy setting on the AKG K267s.[/size]

[size=small] Bass - These things are insane. I'd say better bass than the Denons. The reason being is that while they won't sound as wild and thunderous, they are punchier due to the tightness that the bass has. Where denons have more of a "feeling" in the lower range rather than pitch so to speak these will slam you aggressively while giving an obvious intonation at the the same time. They extend very very low as well. They kill the k702 in this regard as that headphone just isn't really bass heavy as is although the k167 bass has a similar tightness. Just with way way more impact.[/size]

[size=small] Mids - Very natural - Vocals are presented in a very forward fashion, guitars sound nice and detailed and cut through when necessary. A lot depends on the recording. For example when listening to a band like Taking Back Sunday, Adam Lazzara's voice will be wailing at the forefront of everything, John Nolan's will be a bit further back and the guitars will be blasting you as well. However, when listening to something like Mineral which is very guitar focused, vocals come out lower in the mix as well. I'd say most of the time they tend to be very mid forward. Mids sound very smooth and liquidy. More forward than those of the Denons and less distant than those of the K702s due to the lesser soundstage.[/size]

[size=small] Upper Mids/Treble - Nice extension, smooth, not sibilant. Piano sounds extremely natural (granted these don't dethrone the king of classical in the AKGs) but they sound great in their own right.[/size]

[size=small] Final Impressions/Notes[/size]

[size=small] Not hard to amp at all (although i'd still recommend one), can easily be driven from an IPod, Isolate well (could barely hear them when listening in a car)[/size]

[size=small] Better all around headphone than the Denons or K702s. In the sense that the K702s lack aggression necessary for some music and the Denons lack the detail. I find the k167s to be a nice tweener as far as that goes with the capacity to perform well in a wide range of genres. The Denons do things better such as resonance and the k702s are better in that they're more detailed with more soundstage but where the k167 is strong is that it doesn't really do anything poorly.[/size]

[size=small] If you guys have any questions or would like me to listen to any specific artists or songs for impressions on any of my headphones mentioned above just let me know.[/size]

[size=small] EDIT: Forgot to comment on comfort - these do clamp a bit as they need a seal to isolate and they don't fit all the way around the ear so they can get fatiguing after a few hours. Other than that not too bad[/size]

Which Denons are you referring to emo boy!?

HEHEHE :wink:
(I like Mineral and TBS.)

I haven't gotten them because they LOOK uncomfortable... and that for me is the first thing I notice/look for...

Jan 3, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #1,301 of 1,489
Quote:

Which Denons are you referring to emo boy!?

HEHEHE :wink:
(I like Mineral and TBS.)

I haven't gotten them because they LOOK uncomfortable... and that for me is the first thing I notice/look for...

lol - I am a huge emo/screamo fan although my genre preferences include everything except country for the most part. Those bands were the first to jump to mind when I thought of different mixing styles.

I'm referring to the Denon D2000s

They do clamp a bit but I can wear them for extended periods of time without a problem

Jan 3, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #1,303 of 1,489
Asking again because no one replied above. Does anyone have a DT770/880/990 or a K/Q701/2 on hand for a size comparison?

Both those headphone frames are ever so slightly too small for me at the maximum, and I want to make sure they actually fit my head before buying.

Thanks!

Jan 3, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #1,304 of 1,489
I am in pretty much complete agreement of Beagle's assessment. I do think the the K167 does have a bit more oomph in the bass department as compared to the K550 though. I would say the bass of the K167 excels in the exact way the mids and treble excels in the K550. So if your music choice solidly relies on bass to sound correct the K167 is a better choice but if your music is predominantly based on the midrange and to a lesser extent the treble then I think the K550 is a better choice. If AKG did the unthinkable and made a headphone that has the bass of the K167 and the mids and treble of the K550 I would be in headphone nirvana (K267 possibly??).

Other than that if you have a smaller head the K550 may not fit comfortably, if you have a large head the K167 may be to uncomfortable and prone to possibly breaking. The K167 does have a slightly smaller cup size than the K550 so it may be uncomfortable for anyone with larger than average ears.

Budget wise the K167 is about $100 cheaper than the K550. If you can afford the difference in cost and want the sound of the K550 I think it's worth the added cost plus I think the K550 is built with better materials and cables. But if your budget is tight the K167 is a darn fine headphone worth every penny and is one of the best headphones in it's price bracket.

I just sent my K167 back to B&H today. They were great but the MID was not to my liking. DWEAVER, I'm thinking on getting the K550 now but I also own the SRH-940. Do you think the K550 is an upgrade to the Shure? Thank you

Jan 3, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #1,305 of 1,489
Quote:
I just sent my K167 back to B&H today. They were great but the MID was not to my liking.

I received a new headphone on Monday and am I love. I now can confirm that the K167 midrange is all wrong. I thought it had a tendency to quack like a duck and it in fact does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back