AKG K167 TIËSTO - Discussion, Impression, Review & Appreciation Thread
Dec 25, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #1,249 of 1,489
Quote:
My ears felt irritation 20 mins after usage, simply not big enough cup to cover my entire ear. The dt770 is a perfect fit for me, these are smaller.
Returned them yesterday, looking to buy the beyerdynamic COP.

I have the DT770 LE's and they really are something special to my ears, maybe some for you to consider? Comfort is superb :wink:

Dec 25, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #1,251 of 1,489
Sorry no, I haven't tried them 
frown.gif

Dec 25, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #1,252 of 1,489
Ears get soar a bit after like 40 minutes, but not badly, a little readjustment fixes it, or a little 2 minute break. Im really liking them so far. Parents let me listen in car again haha

Dec 27, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #1,253 of 1,489
Went on a drunken spending spree a couple of days ago. Received these today, and I have to say that I'm floored. I had recently sent back a pair of 900 pros (mids too recessed, sibilant highs) and needed a pair of phones for electronica/bass music. Initial impressions: the clarity on these is incredible (even more so at the price point....I picked these up brand new on ebay for $140, shipped). The bass hits ultra low and you feel the sub-bass. Mid-bass is evident, but not overly so. Mids are pretty good (Goldfrapp sounds ******* fantastic) and the highs are up there. These sound bright with the v-sound, but not in a cheap kinda way. Overall, I'm rather happy with these (lets see where these go after a burn-in)....

Dec 27, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #1,254 of 1,489
Quote:
Went on a drunken spending spree a couple of days ago. Received these today, and I have to say that I'm floored. I had recently sent back a pair of 900 pros (mids too recessed, sibilant highs) and needed a pair of phones for electronica/bass music. Initial impressions: the clarity on these is incredible (even more so at the price point....I picked these up brand new on ebay for $140, shipped). The bass hits ultra low and you feel the sub-bass. Mid-bass is evident, but not overly so. Mids are pretty good (Goldfrapp sounds ******* fantastic) and the highs are up there. These sound bright with the v-sound, but not in a cheap kinda way. Overall, I'm rather happy with these (lets see where these go after a burn-in)....

All these great comments about the K167 have me salivating for the K267.  Is the K167 a true circumaural or does it touch the ears?

Dec 27, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #1,256 of 1,489
All these great comments about the K167 have me salivating for the K267.  Is the K167 a true circumaural or does it touch the ears?

For me, they fit great. I am done with on ear or supraural phones. I must have smaller ears or just don't notice if my ears touch the drivers. If anything, after about 2 hrs I need to just take these off for about 1 min. I think its the pressure, but its not one that makes it uncomfortable for listening. I really enjoy their detail.

I just ordered the MDR 1R and will compare and see. I'm excited about their comfort claims.

Dec 27, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #1,258 of 1,489
These require no seal, which I really enjoyed after dealing with K550s for a few weeks before returning them. Anything over the ear sound the same with the 167 for me.

Dec 27, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #1,259 of 1,489
I've managed to make these a lot more comfortable with an easy mod. I had a spare piano cover lying around (we don't even have the piano anymore). It's made out of this quilt-like felt that's rather stiff so I figured it would be a nice complement to the very soft foam inside the earpads.

So I cut out four circular pieces fitting the earpad foams and basically sandwiched the foam inbetween two felt layers:

Now, the earpads don't collapse as much while still being very soft and supple. Quite comfortable now for at least 2-3 hours now, and I'm happy with it.

PS. Sorry for the terrible phone picture quality.

Dec 27, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #1,260 of 1,489
Quote:
All these great comments about the K167 have me salivating for the K267. 

I've had these for about a month now and I can say that they are very detailed, sometimes at the expense of musicality. I had pointed this out earlier on, as I found the lower-midrange area a bit lean. This provides more "clarity" in the bass and midrange, but the two are not always locked together. Also causes the part of the midrange (where vocals lie) to be a bit thin and honky. The K550 and the K167 have a lot of similarity but the K550 has a smoother midrange and more integrated bass to midrange. If I could have the K550 sound with the K167 fit I'd be super happy. Could the answer be the K267?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back