AKG K167 TIËSTO - Discussion, Impression, Review & Appreciation Thread
Dec 12, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #856 of 1,489
Quote:
 I've tried so many of the popular headphones from $150-1000 and nothing really impressed me except for the new Sony MDR1.  So many disappointing headphones out there for the price they ask.  The K167 still dominates at it's price point an I'd choose it over a more expensive headphone easily, aside from the K267, which we don't know about it.
I've currently been looking for a donor body to harvest and that hasn't been an easy task as cheaper headphones have crappy earpads and isolation.

So if I was to compare the MDR1 to the K167, the MDR1 has noticably tighter bass punch.  Not saying that's good or bad, but I didn't like it at first until I went through a few songs with it.  However it's friggin expensive here in Japan.  Was like +$400.

That's quite an endorsement for MDR-1R, did you have a chance to play with new Senns Momentum by any chance?

Dec 12, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #857 of 1,489
Quote:
yeah, the M100 seem to colored, or at least to bass tilted with not enough treble for me.
everything i have read on the MDR-1r seems very positive with the exception of some saying they are fatiguing.  with the exception of the one gentleman who says they have less bass than the Shure 940s, which i simply cant believe after most seem to love their bass and the 940s were some of my favorite clarity and treble cans, but lacked bass big time.  

Fatiguing is probably the last word I would think of using describing MDR-1R. They are literally the least fatigued phones I've used ever. But we should move on, this is AKG thread. Miow can scratch our eyes out.
biggrin.gif

Dec 12, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #859 of 1,489
Momentums already compared on second post of first page. You guys don't read
biggrin.gif

Concerning MDR-1R and I apologize for the off topic, are they basslight, Andrew_WOT? Please elaborate or PM me : )

Dec 12, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #860 of 1,489
Quote:
yeah, the M100 seem to colored, or at least to bass tilted with not enough treble for me.
everything i have read on the MDR-1r seems very positive with the exception of some saying they are fatiguing.  with the exception of the one gentleman who says they have less bass than the Shure 940s, which i simply cant believe after most seem to love their bass and the 940s were some of my favorite clarity and treble cans, but lacked bass big time.  

Yes.  Just to ensure I had all the bases covered, I had performed some searches last evening and did get through the review on the M-100 from innerfidelity.com (Tyll's site.)  While I'd love to hear the M-100s, I'm just not sure of the bass overload (from what I've read) would sit well with me.  But, I'm hopeful that I'll be able to hear them at some point in the future.  It's always good to put a pair of headphones on after reading many comments and a few reviews of them, just to see if your view is aligned with how they might be perceived by others.

Dec 12, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #861 of 1,489
I will update at some point about how the 1R compares to the K167. I just received the K167s today but haven't had a chance to hear them yet.

I will say that the 1R is a great can and is very balanced across the spectrum. It has its own warm flavor as well that is not too warm for my tastes (the HD600 is too warm for me for instance).

Dec 12, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #862 of 1,489
Quote:
I will update at some point about how the 1R compares to the K167. I just received the K167s today but haven't had a chance to hear them yet.

I will say that the 1R is a great can and is very balanced across the spectrum. It has its own warm flavor as well that is not too warm for my tastes (the HD600 is too warm for me for instance).

That will be interesting, thanks ; )

Dec 12, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #866 of 1,489
hmmmm... Not at all from what I read. Let's see ; )

I've never heard a phone with this layering, instrument separation, detail, superb treble, lush mids and deep, realy deep and TIGHT bass with lots of detail/texture. Does the MDR1 sounds like this? I don't think so
wink.gif

For the ones thinking that the K167's do not have sufficient bass (because you haven't tried them), get a JDSLabs C421, Bass Boost enabled, get a LOD (mandatory) and get ready for some ear massage. And they can go stronger than this. The drivers never distort. I've just dual amped and wow, so you are free to EQ too (I also have Clear Bass enabled from the SONY A865, which helps alot).

Dec 12, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #867 of 1,489
Quote:
hmmmm... Not at all from what I read. Let's see ; )

I've never heard a phone with this layering, instrument separation, detail, superb treble, lush mids and deep, realy deep and TIGHT bass with lots of detail/texture. Does the MDR1 sounds like this? I don't think so
wink.gif

For the ones thinking that the K167's do not have sufficient bass (because you haven't tried them), get a E11, EQ2/High Gain/Battery High Power, get a LOD (mandatory) and get ready for some ear massage. And they can go stronger than this. The drivers never distort. I've just dual amped and wow!!

Well, you just proved me wrong :). The only last reason i'm holding off on ordering the k167's is the build. It takes me a while to convince myself to make a final decision on a buy like this haha x)

Dec 12, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #868 of 1,489
I don't know man, I haven't heard the MDR1's, it's just my guess from what I read so far. Wish they were even better, but it's hard to believe.

Dec 12, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #869 of 1,489
Quote:
Well, you just proved me wrong :). The only last reason i'm holding off on ordering the k167's is the build. It takes me a while to convince myself to make a final decision on a buy like this haha x)

If it helps - I've heard the MDR-1R's are very warm sounding, and less analytical, take from that what you will. Also - I've heard of jack issues and creaking plastic on the MDR-1R's. 

I only buy a product if the build quality is promised to be great, hence me never buying anything that creaks, and also, why I am waiting for the more heavily built K267's.

Past good/great build quality headphones I have bought include:
  1. Audio Technica ATH-M50
  2. AIAIAI TMA-1
  3. UE 6000 / 9000
  4. V-MODA M-100

All of them were great with the build quality, some less versatile (sound/build-wise) though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back