AKG K167 TIËSTO - Discussion, Impression, Review & Appreciation Thread
Dec 12, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #841 of 1,489
I've been away for a bit, so I'm catching up on this thread.  Let me just say that my headphone EXP just shot up 9000 points because I live in Japan now and I can try any headphone I want.  I've tried so many of the popular headphones from $150-1000 and nothing really impressed me except for the new Sony MDR1.  So many disappointing headphones out there for the price they ask.  The K167 still dominates at it's price point an I'd choose it over a more expensive headphone easily, aside from the K267, which we don't know about it.
I've currently been looking for a donor body to harvest and that hasn't been an easy task as cheaper headphones have crappy earpads and isolation.

So if I was to compare the MDR1 to the K167, the MDR1 has noticably tighter bass punch.  Not saying that's good or bad, but I didn't like it at first until I went through a few songs with it.  However it's friggin expensive here in Japan.  Was like +$400.

Also throwing this out there, but the AKG K540 is also a very good cheap headphone at it's price.  I might be picking one up as my beater headphone.

Also Also, another headphone I was really interested in was the Beyerdynamic COP.  Let me just say K167 > COP.  They had too much bass and sounded boomy.  Poor vocals also.

Dec 12, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #844 of 1,489
Quote:
I've been away for a bit, so I'm catching up on this thread.  Let me just say that my headphone EXP just shot up 9000 points because I live in Japan now and I can try any headphone I want.  I've tried so many of the popular headphones from $150-1000 and nothing really impressed me except for the new Sony MDR1.  So many disappointing headphones out there for the price they ask.  The K167 still dominates at it's price point an I'd choose it over a more expensive headphone easily, aside from the K267, which we don't know about it.
I've currently been looking for a donor body to harvest and that hasn't been an easy task as cheaper headphones have crappy earpads and isolation.

What is this place? Why does everything in Japan seem bigger and better than their american counterparts?

Dec 12, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #845 of 1,489
Quote:

What is this place? Why does everything in Japan seem bigger and better than their american counterparts?

It's called Yodobashi Camera, and the largest location is in Akihabara, which is about 30min walking distance from me. That's just one wall.  On the right side or the sides where I'm standing is even more (cheaper) headphones and earbuds.  http://www.yodobashi.com/

Also at this particular location, they even took the time to review the headphones!  That's a TON of headphones!!  There is a star rating next to 8-10 music genres.  I'll take a pic next time I go.  If anyone wants me to take a pic of certain headphones review chart, let me know or message me.

Dec 12, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #846 of 1,489
*____*  Oh my ***** screw That 1 year bachelor trainee programme at Japan suddenly became so much more attractive! In Finland there exists barely any places to demo headphones and at the places there is, the selection is very limited and usually not even containing the popular models. If I walked in there I'd feel like I entered heaven! ^^

Dec 12, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #847 of 1,489
Yeah, I have 28 hrs of burn in done so far and haven't noticed much bass impact improvement. The mids are much better now than out of the box. But the sub bass hasn't changed any that I can tell, but that is a good thing. Love the sub bass in these.

Where these have improved some is the treble. It wasn't harsh (for me) out of the box, but again, I am a big treble + bass guy. I like a thump and crystal clear sound. So far these are doing it for me. The treble has flatened out a bit. If it was harsh to someone out of the box, its now mellowed some, but still sound precise and clean.

Most of my listening so far has been straight out of my computer (corporate laptop) un amped.

I only listened the first day 2hrs in thru my e11, so I am looking forward to that. I need to take miow's suggestion and switching whatever it is under the battery to high and try that out.

I have yet to hear the MDR-1r from Sony, but did listen yesterday to the K550 and Denon 6000. Our best buy has a "higher audio" section with a bunch of $400+headphones.

Honestly, I liked the k167 better than all of them. The only one that I really liked was the Beyerdynamic T1. But it was $1000. That said, no clue how much burn in any of those samples had on them. They may need a lot more time on them.

So far very satisfied.

I am actually suprised at the semblance comments and the fact these are sounding worse with more burn in for the one listener. I believe we got our on the same day, but I think he has more burn in than I do, but it hasn't gone backwards for me yet.

Dec 12, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #848 of 1,489
Quote:
So these are better than K550 sound wise aren-t they.

Are the pads leather?

Should I wait for the K267 or go ahead and get the K167?

They do look badass cans IMO.

Unfortunately, they are not leather - but, are pleather.  Here is a link to the post I applied in this forum with a picture of the ear pad removed, so the materials could be observed:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/636439/akg-k167-ti-sto-discussion-impression-review-appreciation-thread/630#post_8940356

Dec 12, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #849 of 1,489
Quote:

Thanks, Trying to convince another user in the anime thread a K167 is a better investment over even a modded T50 so needed that input :)

No problem.  Just keep in mind that it was my impression between the T50RP and the K167.  I've personally completed over 8 Fostex T50RP modifications on 8 separate pairs.  However, I've also performed about 10+ variations of modifications on a "working" pair of Fostex headphones that I own.  The Fostex T50RPs do have their place, though.  I am holding onto mine because I do use them, too.  I tend to avoid words such as: killer, kills, sqashes, beats, stomps, passes by, bypasses, etc.  Such phrases are very subjective and vary by individual with their particular perceptions.

Enjoy !

Dec 12, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #850 of 1,489
Just received these in the mail. The headband on these are very stiff. I have a fairly large head, so the first time putting these on I heard a loud crack. Thank god the plastic didn't crack like PFULMTL's. But I will have to be careful with these. At the same time I think it's just the nature of this type of plastic. Very stiff, not malleable/bendable.

Clamping, comfort, and isolation seem very good. The sound seems a bit underwhelming, I will let these burn-in. (I'm one of those that burn-in through use)

Dec 12, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #851 of 1,489
These are the only phones I've had that can't be listen before 50 hours burn-in. Change is quite dramatic, especially bass. If you can, go a couple pages back and download my "special" burn-in playlist. Let them play overnight with that. Tomorrow they will sound quite different ; )

Dec 12, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #852 of 1,489
Payed and shipped yesterday, received them today. This is a out of the box impressions unamped. First thing I noticed was how small these looked compared with the few images and videos I saw. The cable is also shockingly light despite it being a coiled cable. I can see these being extremely portable but that brings me to an issue. The plastics feel cheap and as the another user stated, the headband feels stiff. I also heard a loud crack when I first put them on. The hinges at the adjustments are somewhat thin and I can see them cracking for people who have larger heads if they're not too careful. Cups are very soft and despite the small headband padding, feel very comfortable. Clamping force is just right for me. Overall, comfort is fantastic though I may need to wear these for several hours to get a better idea.

As for the sound quality, keep in mind that these are the first 20 min. of listening to them. I agree with many users here on the sound quality. The sub-bass is excellent, mid-bass is also perfect for me- tight and detailed, though for some of the bassheads they can be somewhat lacking. The mids sound very natural and forward. Another thing that jumped at me was how good the treble sounded. It sounds so refined. The sound separation and imaging is also amazing for a closed headphones. I should also point out that the sound isolation is great. As I type this on my mechanical keyboard, I could barely hear the clicking even when bottoming out the keys. Overall, they sound AMAZING for the price and I can't wait to hear them after burn-in. I was grinning the whole time while I was listening to them and couldn't stop. Compared with my ATH-M50's with over 100 hours, these in my opinion, trump them in every single aspect aside from the build quality.

Dec 12, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #853 of 1,489
cant wait for more MDR-1r and M100 and K267 comparisons....

i think id keep the K167 over  what the M100 offers, although i love their total package.  the 267 and MDR-1R still have me wondering if id rather spend more?

Dec 12, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #854 of 1,489
From what I've read the MDR-1R seems to be no competition for the K167's. The M100's are already out of my list. Waiting for the K267's.

Dec 12, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #855 of 1,489
Quote:
From what I've read the MDR-1R seems to be no competition for the K167's. The M100's are already out of my list. Waiting for the K267's.

yeah, the M100 seem to colored, or at least to bass tilted with not enough treble for me.
everything i have read on the MDR-1r seems very positive with the exception of some saying they are fatiguing.  with the exception of the one gentleman who says they have less bass than the Shure 940s, which i simply cant believe after most seem to love their bass and the 940s were some of my favorite clarity and treble cans, but lacked bass big time.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back