AKG K167 TIËSTO - Discussion, Impression, Review & Appreciation Thread
Dec 12, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #871 of 1,489
Quote:

I will say that the 1R is a great can and is very balanced across the spectrum. It has its own warm flavor as well that is not too warm for my tastes (the HD600 is too warm for me for instance).

Very strange...

Today I was listening to mdr 1r and then I listened to the hd600,and they seemed treble happy and a bit thin/cold/hollow in the midrange...same goes when I change from mdr 1r to shure 840,krk 6400 etc.

I find my 1R to be much more warm and full in it's sound,with a little reduced treble presence,which make it sound very warm.I kidda like it now,after many many hours of burn in,but it's still the warmest and smoothest sounding headphone in my collection.I actually like warm sound,but sony's are just a little bit more than I like,making my other headphones sound a bit thin,with much treble.

Dec 12, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #872 of 1,489
Quote:
For edm fans I will recommend the ue6000's over these. The ue has better bass imo and sounds smoother. This is an initial impression. Can anyone tell me if bass becomes more prominent after burn in?

Yes, it does.

For EDM get a JDSLabs C421, enable Bass Boost, get a LOD and there you go dude ; )

Dec 12, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #875 of 1,489
Quote:
For edm fans I will recommend the ue6000's over these. The ue has better bass imo and sounds smoother. This is an initial impression. Can anyone tell me if bass becomes more prominent after burn in?

In regards to the Logitech Ultimate Ears 6000, can the noise cancellation feature be disabled?  Also, to me, the "on headphone" volume control buttons would be a bit tough to take.  I think if Logitech had released a model similar to the UE6000, without the noise cancellation features and the volume buttons, they could get the model to a lower price point.  Then again, I haven't heard the UE6000s, so I can't comment on the sound.

Edit: With my K167s, I'm at the point of about 35+ hours of use / burn-in time.  I'm going to do some more listening a bit later and post impressions if I feel there are any changes to the sound worth mentioning.

Dec 12, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #876 of 1,489
Quote:
Also I feel as if vocals are more shrill compared to the ue6000's am I right regarding this? I like sweet and smooth headphones after burn in can they be to my liking vs the ue6000's?

Compared to the K167, the UE6000 is warm, bassy, rolled off in the treble and sleep-inducing smooth.

Dec 12, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #878 of 1,489
I listened to the EU6000 at the Apple store, but it was difficult to judge because I couldn't turn off the ANC.  The 167 are insanely tempting right now.  Digging my 990, but the amping thing and the open design is making mobile listening a pain (I knew that it would be going in, but figured I'd just continue using my MD Tribute IEMs out in public; did not factor in how addictive the move to higher-end full-size cans would be). 

Dec 12, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #879 of 1,489
Quote:
If it helps - I've heard the MDR-1R's are very warm sounding, and less analytical, take from that what you will. Also - I've heard of jack issues and creaking plastic on the MDR-1R's. 

I only buy a product if the build quality is promised to be great, hence me never buying anything that creaks, and also, why I am waiting for the more heavily built K267's.

Past good/great build quality headphones I have bought include:
  1. Audio Technica ATH-M50
  2. AIAIAI TMA-1
  3. UE 6000 / 9000
  4. V-MODA M-100

All of them were great with the build quality, some less versatile (sound/build-wise) though. 

i dont really feel the UE6000 are really all that well built.  the plastic feels cheap to me, beats like.  i actually think the K167 feel better.  i do concede the K167 are not the most rugged phones.  that is why i want a case for them.  

the build is what i am holding out hope for with the 267 and i assume the mdr-1r seems to be built well, per reviews.

Dec 12, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #881 of 1,489
Does anyone's right ear cup swivel more easily than the left ear cup? I feel more resistance on the left, kinda strange.

All I can say about this headphone right now is that the soundstage and imaging are great, better than the 1R (although the 1R does a very good job also) and the detail is way more than I anticipated. I would never have known this was being touted as a 'DJ can' of not for the styling and Tiesto on the label. These sound very analytical and refined sounding. In comparison to the 1R they do not sound as full-bodied. I will try burning these in, though I am not a huge believer in that.

Dec 12, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #882 of 1,489
Quote:
That's quite an endorsement for MDR-1R, did you have a chance to play with new Senns Momentum by any chance?

Yeah, I listened to the Momentums.  I'll just say that I didn't like them.

Dec 12, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #883 of 1,489
Quote:
Does anyone's right ear cup swivel more easily than the left ear cup? I feel more resistance on the left, kinda strange.
All I can say about this headphone right now is that the soundstage and imaging are great, better than the 1R (although the 1R does a very good job also) and the detail is way more than I anticipated. I would never have known this was being touted as a 'DJ can' of not for the styling and Tiesto on the label. These sound very analytical and refined sounding. In comparison to the 1R they do not sound as full-bodied. I will try burning these in, though I am not a huge believer in that.

They do with a GOOD amp, bass boost and LOD (just forget your players internal amp, whatever it is, it sucks)

Dec 12, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #884 of 1,489
Quote:
i dont really feel the UE6000 are really all that well built.  the plastic feels cheap to me, beats like.  i actually think the K167 feel better.  i do concede the K167 are not the most rugged phones.  that is why i want a case for them.  

the build is what i am holding out hope for with the 267 and i assume the mdr-1r seems to be built well, per reviews.

I meant the UE9000 more than the 6000 - but they both felt pretty okay, and neither felt like they were going to crack or anything. THe other headphones on the little list were better built than the UE 6000's - for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back