AKG K167 TIËSTO - Discussion, Impression, Review & Appreciation Thread
Nov 26, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #241 of 1,489
I could smuggle oatmeal raisin cookies in them.

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #242 of 1,489

These are fun, smooth & warm. They're all but cold. They can be a bit analytical, but in a musical way.

EDIT: Trying some new stuff and the bass is so tight that reminds me the Hippo VB bass. Don't you guys feel the same? (if you know what I mean)

i dont have clue about hippo VB , so the others respectable cans wont be better than this?  

Self portrait.

eye catching and big

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #244 of 1,489
AWESOME!
my wife gave me the go ahead to order these for xmas.  now to figure out the best place!

i dont mind big cups as long as they are comfy and surround the ear.
i love(d) my K81 DJ but my ears did tire after awhile sitting on them .

so these will work welll without an amp?  i may have to wait until Jan before i get one....

so we established an e6 wont make any difference with these, so what about an e11?  or e17?  im leaning towards e11 based on price.

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #245 of 1,489
also, how do we think the material used on the cups will hold up?  my K81 Djs are about 5 years old, but the cups are flaking off.  are they even replaceable/modable?

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #246 of 1,489
Quote:
also, how do we think the material used on the cups will hold up?  my K81 Djs are about 5 years old, but the cups are flaking off.  are they even replaceable/modable?

No idea about earpad longevity.  No replacement pads are out yet, however the Corsair Vengeance memorym foam leatherette or microfiber pads might work although they are more thin/shallow, so you might need to stuff them with a rope.
http://www.corsair.com/en/pc-computer-audio/pc-computer-audio-accessories.html

I don't have the pads anymore >__> but I still have the headset and here is a comparison shot. The Corsair earcups are about a 0.25" larger, so the pads will spin in place on the K167.  But they are $15 pads, so I'll take some spinning if I had to.  Pads like the one on the K167 are usually about $30ish.

Although I have a Fiio E7, I don't reallly crank it up.  I use it at volume 25-30 for music, and 30-35 for shows, which the max setting is 60.
I don't have much experience with amps.  I can't tell the difference from the E7 and my onboard audio. ;/

Nov 27, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #247 of 1,489
thanks.  so do these need an amp?  if so, which would you recommend between the e6, e11, e17?
id prefer the lowest cost i could get away with and actually improve sound.

Nov 27, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #248 of 1,489
Well my way of thinking is don't use an amp from the start until you are familiar with the way the headphone sounds, and that takes a few days.  Burn in could also take a few days, coincidence? :)  I didn't plug the E7 up to it until a few days later because I like to know if there is any change in the sound, which with the E7, I don't notice any difference /shrug

But that's me and I haven't heard a high end amp/DAC, so I can't really tell you.

Nov 27, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #249 of 1,489
Some headphones change quite drasticly with amp, others not so much. Doesn't even have to be that hard-to-drive headphones either, my Q40 sounds almost like a different headphone altogether amped, I wouldn't even enjoy it that much unamped (hollow midrange, lack of detail) but I love it amped (punchier bass, slightly forward & quite detail midrange). 

Nov 27, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #250 of 1,489
I think there are a little more bass on the K167 than the D2000, but it's definately more controlled, the D2000 bass can be a little soft at times, the K167 is tight - very impressive sound overall :)

D5000 looks to have a little more bass. From what i've read so far, the K167 should have a good amount of bass without overdoing it--like this K618
i've been using.

Nov 27, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #251 of 1,489
Quote:
I think there are a little more bass on the K167 than the D2000, but it's definately more controlled, the D2000 bass can be a little soft at times, the K167 is tight - very impressive sound overall
smily_headphones1.gif

Yea my guess it's more of a "hill-shape" peaked bass response. Denons are more linear which usually gets you a less punchy, more soft rumbly bass. It's difficult to compare bass quantity by ear as the type of bass can be missleading due to such a different character. Punchy bass tends to have a more hill-shaped bass curve, usually the peak centered around 70~120Hz or so area. This gives you a more hard-hitting, with a sense of tighter more faster bass due to the subbass presence seems less overhelming (subbass = slow) and there's less power required as the very lower frequencies requires also significantly more power so it puts more stress on the amping part (if amping isn't adequate it's particularly loose in the bass with headphones with linear and great bass extension). A linear/flat bass curve tends to sound less controlled, due to more subbass presence (slower) and gives you a sense of looseness. Of course the QUALITY (resonance/dampening, design of the cups, quality of the driver itself to produce accurate bass frequencies etc.) is perhaps even more important but assuming both headphones would have similar bass response quality, then you will percieve such differences based on the shape of the bass curve.

Here's a good example, for me personally I would rather take Ultrasone HFI-580's kinda bass curve over Denon D2000, I'd say both have quite similar amount of quantity but they are highly different, HFI-580 has a more punchy bass (would be even more so if peaked at a bit higher bass frequency) while D2000 is more soft and rumbly:

Nov 27, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #252 of 1,489
Well everyone, I found the weakspot.  The same spot for almost every headphone.  If you stretch the headband too wide while putting them on/off the angle part right there hits the bottom part.  In enough time (here less than a week), it will crack.  The hinge is still intact and that outer cosmetic piece just needs to be replaced I think.
The left side started creaking all of a sudden when I took them on and off, and I was like What is that?  Then I noticed that..  So much for stronger polymer plastic.
I already know this could have been prevented if the parts weren't so sharp and had a little more gap.  It you want to prevent this from happening, you could take the hinge apart and sand that bottom area slightly so that there is a small gap between the two pieces.  Or if you don't want to take them apart, just get some sand paper and move the bottom piece out of the way so you can sand the top piece.

Nov 27, 2012 at 6:37 AM Post #254 of 1,489
Well I guess it was too good to be true soundwise so there had to be a hook somewhere, so maybe build quality isn't stellar on these products but I prioritize sound quality (the best sound I can get for the price paid) way more than anything else so it wouldn't affect my purchase decision.

Nov 27, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #255 of 1,489
Quote:
so these will work welll without an amp?  i may have to wait until Jan before i get one....

so we established an e6 wont make any difference with these, so what about an e11?  or e17?  im leaning towards e11 based on price

E11 makes a difference. It's a great amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back