AKG K167 TIËSTO - Discussion, Impression, Review & Appreciation Thread
Nov 26, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #226 of 1,489
I am hearing so many good things about this pair of headphones. The only thing that is stopping me is that there is no detachable cable, it's coiled (not so much of a problem, though I prefer straight), and it's not really portable. I don't care about the polka dots ^^ and the silver on the side looks nice :3

Nov 26, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #227 of 1,489
Oh, were you one of the people I recommended the K618 to?  If so /highfive
You know what I mean then when I say the K167 is a notch less on the bass compared to the K618.  The K618 just has too much that it starts to sound boomy.  If you are listening to just bass music it's fine, but when you switch to rock or metal, the bass becomes too much. So the K618 is not really versatile, unless you can't afford a higher end headphone, then just stick with it.

I was sold on the K618 as soon as i saw the pictures. It is what the tiesto's should've looked like. I'm going to keep them around just to remind myself
what too much bass sounds like for those moments when i get the urge to get a q40. I'm going to check out the K167 after i see some more impressions.

Nov 26, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #228 of 1,489
I guess I could do a rap session evaluation., since I haven't talked about that yet.  Listening to various Freddie Gibbs, Kanye West, JayZ, Eminem, Drunken Tiger, and random things I have. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28QCXMsELQE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQrFP5aeDm8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyZ_eS5q_Ow

Is the bass adequete? Yes
Is the vocal performance clear?  Yes
Balance?  Perfect balance of bass and vocals.  Bass is not overpowering and vocals are at the right level.
Fiio E7 Bass Boost performance?  Yeah, there's more bass, but the vocals and treble get recessed some.  It sounds almost like when I'm in the car, which I don't really like.
Most versatile headphone for $200?  It's starting to sound like it. :)

Nov 26, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #229 of 1,489
Quote:
I got them on ebay for 180 with free shipping, not a bad deal.  Currently in my stable I have:  Shure srh840, beyer dt770, senn hd25, maudio q40, ultrasone hfi-780, and denon d2k's.....Can you tell I just found this site?  I am going to be running them through an E11.  Will try to post some impressions once I receive them.....

yeah, man i would love to get your comparison reviews to the DT770 and hifi-780's  
both those sets were in my sights until this K176.  

i am planning on getting these for xmas along with my first ever introduction to an amp, the e11.  

Nov 26, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #230 of 1,489
Quote:
I got to do an outside test today, which is just me using them at stores.  yeah...I'm going to paint the earcups black.  They draw too much attention.  One guy just stopped walking down the isle and looked at them.  Maybe people recognize the Tiesto logo?  Or maybe it's the large amount of silver on the earcups.

These have friggin awesome isolation.  Just standing in line at the store and I don't hear anyone talking or the intercom.
I thought the cable was going to be a problem, but it is actually the right length if it's connected to your player in your pocket.  I take back what I said about not liking the cable earlier.

I've had them playing music nonstop since I got them. I think they are burned in now.  The bass is very deep, and at the same time still very detailed.  Is OK to confess my love to them?  Yeah, now I can say I do really love these headphones. :)

(random headphone testing)
I went to the store and just happen to pass by the electronics section.  Tested the K167 against some the Beats line up, Sony XB600, and Skullcandy Hesh, out of curiosity.  The Executive Beats weren't working, so there was the Solo, Mixr, and Studio.  It was no contest against the Solo and Mixr Beats, they sounded really cheap.  The Beats Studio has decent bass, but it's not as clear.   It didn't have the forward sound or fullness of the K167.
The Sony XB600 was just horrible and muddy.  No detail at all haha.
The Skullcandy Hesh is actually not a bad headphone for $60, but very a V shaped sound.  The Hesh was like the DT770 but less bass and slightly less detailed.  I would choose the Hesh over the Beats Mixr and Solo.

Back home I realize that these headphones have a gap right above the earcups to fit your glasses if your frame is thin.  Don't push them too far back and it's comfortable.  Yet another win with these headphones.

You compare with wrong brand & type. Try Full size Sennheiser HD215, Pioneer DJ2000, Denon DJ, Technics 1200, Shure SRH 750DJ these quite remarkable in the industry.
How K167 compares with them?

Nov 26, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #231 of 1,489
Out of those, I've heard the Pioneer HDJ-2000 and I did like those, but overpriced just for music if you aren't a DJ/Producer.  If you want a well built metal headphone though, then it's worth the price.  I'm seeing them for around $230-ish online, and that's not a bad deal at all.  However they do sound different.

HDJ-2000 is brighter than K167
HDJ-2000 has more forward treble than K167.
K167 has similar bass quantity than HDJ-2000.
K167 is much lighter than HDJ-2000
K167 earcups don't flick back into place or flip vertically like the HDJ-2000
Comfort: Tie.  Both have squishy earpads that go completely over your ears.
K167 has better headbang/headbob capability :p

Winner?  Depends if you like bright or dark sound signature because the bass quantity is similar (I don't remember the bass quality of the HDJ-2000, but it wasn't bad, that's for sure).  Although the HDJ-2000 is brighter, it has clear highs.  I don't rememember it being harsh or piercing.
The K167 is going to always be cheaper.  As I said earlier the HDJ-2000 is overpriced just for listening to music.  If you are a DJ/Producer, then the features of the HDJ-2000 will make it worth the price if you like a bright sound signature.

Nov 26, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #232 of 1,489
Quote:
Out of those, I've heard the Pioneer HDJ-2000 and I did like those, but overpriced just for music if you aren't a DJ/Producer.  If you want a well built metal headphone though, then it's worth the price.  I'm seeing them for around $230-ish online, and that's not a bad deal at all.  However they do sound different.

HDJ-2000 is brighter than K167
HDJ-2000 has more forward treble than K167.
K167 has similar bass quantity than HDJ-2000.
K167 is much lighter than HDJ-2000
K167 earcups don't flick back into place or flip vertically like the HDJ-2000
Comfort: Tie.  Both have squishy earpads that go completely over your ears.
K167 has better headbang/headbob capability :p

Winner?  Depends if you like bright or dark sound signature because the bass quantity is similar (I don't remember the bass quality of the HDJ-2000, but it wasn't bad, that's for sure).  Although the HDJ-2000 is brighter, it has clear highs.  I don't rememember it being harsh or piercing.
The K167 is going to always be cheaper.  As I said earlier the HDJ-2000 is overpriced just for listening to music.  If you are a DJ/Producer, then the features of the HDJ-2000 will make it worth the price if you like a bright sound signature.

Superb explanations, of HDJ2000. Thank you, if you have other comparison mentioned above please add here.
Which one more fun, smooth & warm sounding? I hate bright cold analytical things, because what i want is enjoyable music not seeking music imperfections.
And how about soundstage & presentation, forward treble kind annoying right? I prefer forward bass over forward trebles. DT1350 had forward mids, i must EQ the mids alot to have enjoyable presentations. 
What is headbang/headbob? To shake your head?
Yes I agreed for casual listener using Pro gear not so wise, kinda overprice. But the pioneer launched for quite some time, hence the discounts make it about on par with 'newly released' 

Nov 26, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #233 of 1,489
Quote:

Superb explanations, of HDJ2000. Thank you, if you have other comparison mentioned above please add here.
Which one more fun, smooth & warm sounding? I hate bright cold analytical things, because what i want is enjoyable music not seeking music imperfections.
And how about soundstage & presentation, forward treble kind annoying right? I prefer forward bass over forward trebles. DT1350 had forward mids, i must EQ the mids alot to have enjoyable presentations. 
What is headbang/headbob? To shake your head?
Yes I agreed for casual listener using Pro gear not so wise, kinda overprice. But the pioneer launched for quite some time, hence the discounts make it about on par with 'newly released' 

These are fun, smooth & warm. They're all but cold. They can be a bit analytical, but in a musical way.

EDIT: Trying some new stuff and the bass is so tight that reminds me the Hippo VB bass. Don't you guys feel the same? (if you know what I mean)

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #235 of 1,489
wow, the cups are big.

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #240 of 1,489
Damn, I love the cup size. It'll look even better with the larger headband on the K267. This may be completely misplaced thinking on my part, but I think AKG was making these to be their flagship DJ line, above the K618/619, before anything else - and they just wanted to get a deal with a DJ/musician later on in the process as an advertising strategy. Makes sense, considering they're a brand new line, branded with a name, and STILL sound amazing (Still waiting on my K267's..)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back