AKG K1000: Tube or Solid State?
Jan 24, 2009 at 9:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 66

IceClass

Headphoneus Supremus
Is the AKG best powered by a tube or a solid state amplifier and why?

I'm interested in hearing from those who actually own or have owned the K1000. Those that have simply read reviews and postings from other actual owners and feel like posting, please don't bother.

Let's try to keep this thread based on actual direct observation as much as possible.

Jan 24, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 66
The absolute best amp I've ever heard with the K1000 is Foo_me's Zanden 300B amp. It was followed by Voltron's Moth 300B Paradigm amp. Somewhere further away was perhaps the woo5 and the solid state Pass amps.

Jan 24, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #4 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The absolute best amp I've ever heard with the K1000 is Foo_me's Zanden 300B amp. It was followed by Voltron's Moth 300B Paradigm amp. Somewhere further away was perhaps the woo5 and the solid state Pass amps.

it was the moth 300B pairing that hooked me on to the k1000. my own experiences have involved the RWA signature 30 and now a pair of tube monoblock power amps. i don't know if i'd make a categorical tube vs. solid state distinction here, but the k1000 do sound a lot better (IMHO) with an amp that provides some warmth and a liquid midrange. whatever amp you can find that offers this (along with the requisite power) is the right amp.

Jan 25, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #5 of 66
x2
It's never simply a case of ss or tubes because there is no specific ss or tube sound as such. Individual amp characteristics are a better guide than a blanket class.

These things have to be taken on a case by case basis, after all, there are plenty of both good and sucky amps in both camps.

Personally, I'm happy listening to mine from whatever it's attached to. It never fails to put a smile on my face.

Jan 25, 2009 at 9:09 AM Post #6 of 66
Sadly never heard the K1000 using a tube amplifier.
But both the Signature 30.2 and β22 seems to be great match for the K1000.
smile.gif

Jan 25, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #7 of 66
The K1000's sound best with a warmer amp, imo. What matters is the sound signature of the amp, not whether it has tubes or is SS. 300b-based amps (Cary 300sei, Dared 300b monoblocks, etc.) usually sound great. There are warm SS amps that sound great with the K1000's too.

Equally important to keep in mind with K1000's is your source. A high-end source that is both resolving, yet smooth is best.

Feb 2, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #10 of 66
I almost sold my K1000 before I heard them driven by Voltrons Moth 300b amp. To me, the resolution and sound staging were the best I'd ever heard in headphones. But the whole experiance was destroyed by their thin, etched, "solid-state" harshness. Inspired by the Moth, I built a diy GM70 amp. This added a sorely needed level of warmth and fullness without compromising their stunning resolution. You need to hear them on single-ended triodes. Jpelgs comments on a high resolution yet warm source are right on as well. I use an Audio Note dac with a tube output. You will never get really stunning low bass out of them, it"s just not in the design. But for what they do best, there are few if any equals.

Feb 2, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #11 of 66
...now I really need to hear the K1000 out of a tube amplifier.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Preferably a 300B power one...

Feb 2, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #12 of 66
I've gotten decent results from the K-1000 running it from a mass-market Denon two channel receiver. It was plenty good to listen to, but I much prefer the K-1000 on tubes. I'd spend a lot of time running it from a Conrad-Johnson MV-52 with very good results. Warm, engaging and superior mids. Lately, I've had it connected to the speaker taps on my Moth Si2A3. That's simply magical.

I'll second Frank's amp, too! He had it at the October LA meet and it sounded amazing!

Feb 2, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #13 of 66
i heard some Heco Speakers (German brand) on LA audio Tube amps and then on Marantz solid state.

on tube..they sounded smooth..but man..no control..very loose ..the guitar plucks werent sounded clear.

i assume this characteristic is common to K1000 also..coz they are like mini-speakers in a way

Feb 2, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #14 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i heard some Heco Speakers (German brand) on LA audio Tube amps and then on Marantz solid state.

on tube..they sounded smooth..but man..no control..very loose ..the guitar plucks werent sounded clear.

i assume this characteristic is common to K1000 also..coz they are like mini-speakers in a way

How many tube amps have you actually listened to? They are not all the same. You have to carefully match the amp to the transducer.

Also, have you listened to a K-1000? And did you read the first post in this thread?

Feb 2, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #15 of 66
^i clearly stated my experience ..no bluffing.

regarding Tube amps....compared Little Country with Graham Slee Novo...and had similar experience...although the vocals were much smoother.

Havent heard K1000 yet...but its obvious its the epitome of power hungriness in Dynamic headphones.

PS:was on mobile so missed out the 2nd line of OP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back