AKG K1000: Tube or Solid State?
Feb 9, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #16 of 66
I have finally begun to listen to my 1000's via a Spectral DMC 15 and DMA 50. They truly sound amazing when driven properly. I am looking at tube amps now to audition. Has anybody auditioned a Manley Stingray?

Feb 9, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #17 of 66
Using the K-1000's with the TTVJ 307A amp is also an amazing combination. Warm with terrific detail, holographic imaging and layering (for a headphone), and tight, tuneful bass. I also heard very good sound from a balanced Beta-22 with a dedicated 4-pin K-1000 output.

Feb 9, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #18 of 66
The RWA and the Pass Labs Aleph both give a tube or warm sound even though they are solid state. The best combo that I've heard was the 300B, foo_me's, but be ready to spend $14K.

The Firstwatt F1 gives the best control of the drivers and gives plenty of bass, but can sound a bit un-warm if you will, so you'd need a high quality tube preamp.

I think the Aleph or Pass labs would be the way to go unless you want to spend $$$$ on a high end tube amp.

Feb 11, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #20 of 66
I'm new to the world of the "K1000 Club", having received mine just yesterday, but hooked up to my DIA 100 it sounds asbolutely spectacular. I am looking forward to hearing this highly detailed and musical earspeaker hooked to different amps for many, many years to come.

It's a long term relationship, the K1K and I. I feel it.

Feb 11, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #21 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm new to the world of the "K1000 Club", having received mine just yesterday, but hooked up to my DIA 100 it sounds asbolutely spectacular. I am looking forward to hearing this highly detailed and musical earspeaker hooked to different amps for many, many years to come.

At the start of my journey, I have found the Stefan Audio Art cables to be the best so far!

Feb 13, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #22 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am quite sure it will be a long term relationship.
Cause the K1000 is a very special pair of 'phones, and it scale nicely with amplification.

Enjoy!
k1000smile.gif

Feb 14, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #23 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am quite sure it will be a long term relationship.
Cause the K1000 is a very special pair of 'phones, and it scale nicely with amplification.

Enjoy!
k1000smile.gif

They are really different! I have lots of great headphones, but I find myself compelled to listen to these almost exclusively right now. The Spectral is a great mate for them.

Feb 14, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #24 of 66
I found the K1000 amazing with tubes, and very good with SS. The warmth of certain tubes certainly are a compliment to them.

Feb 14, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #25 of 66
Tubes, that Audio Note 300B amp I've heard mine with was amazing.

However, if you cant afford a good tube amp (one that has the sound and the power) I guess a nice SS would be better.

Feb 21, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #27 of 66
Have had them only one day.... so these impressions are very young.
One thing is very very clear and that is the right amplifier can make a huge difference in how much you can angle out the drivers without losing the "fullness" of the sound.

Yesterday upon their arrival I quickly hooked them up to my Aleph 3/Melos Preamp combo. It sounded amazing (as it should) but the sound quickly became thin when swinging out the drivers.

So today I finally set them up in the rig intended for them. It consists of a 300B amp built by Gabriel Velez and an Electra Print TVC. One word AMAZING. The difference in how much I can angle them out is large.

Wattage ratings are quite worthless. There is sooo much more to it.

I can see a long love affair with these phones.

Feb 28, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #29 of 66
So far the vast majority of people seem to prefer either...
A) Pure Class A solid state amps (PassLabs, FirstWatts etc.)
B) SETs (300B & 2a3 mostly)
C) Higher End Class Ds (RWA 30 & 30.2)

Certainly there has to be people that have tried others...lets hear about them ! Would really like to here experiences regarding other tube amp configurations. (various PP, other SETs like 45s, 307A, etc,etc)

Also wouldn't mind hearing about any various vintage tube amps that people have tried. I can't help but think that some of the best amps for the K1000s may be in this category. (thinking Eico HF-81 etc.)

An exciting thing about the K1000s is the fact that there is an endless amount of amplification choices. (and probably some undiscovered great ones out there)

popcorn.gif

Feb 28, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #30 of 66
I've tried the K1000's with a few solid state amplifiers, including a B22 (balanced). Once of the more satisfying amplifiers was the Kenwood KA7100 I own. Its an old SS amp from 1978 and it sounded amazing with the K1000's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back