AKG K1000 Replacement on the Horizon?
Oct 7, 2006 at 4:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

SteveA

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All:

I made an inquiry to an online retailer about the availability of AKG K1000s. I know they have been long discontinued but they were still advertising them on their website. I received a prompt and pleasant reply stating their site was out of date and indeed they no longer had any for sale. He added a tidbit that piqued my interest: there will be a new model but they don’t know when it will be introduced / available.

This is the first I’ve heard of a possible replacement. Anyone else have any information?

Steve

Oct 7, 2006 at 4:44 PM Post #2 of 35
Lets get the rumour mill pumping then. Ive heard they look like this:

akg-k1240.JPG

Oct 7, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #3 of 35
Duggeh is way ahead of them.

I don't see how they can improve on the K-1000. If they add bass extension or reinforcement, then it will screw up the midrange and highs. Everything else is just right to me. Anything added or changed will just destroy what makes them so great.

That being said. I'd have to bite if they came out with a replacement of my favorite headphones.

Oct 7, 2006 at 7:58 PM Post #4 of 35
Bump this, while I'm listening to System of a Down on my K701...this is interesting news.
k1000smile.gif

Oct 7, 2006 at 8:25 PM Post #5 of 35
That'd be amazing, but I don't buy it. And I'm kind of with rob on this one. I don't really know what they could improve for me; I don't even care much about the really deep bass. I mean, sure, if they were EXACTLY the same as they are, and had that, it would be nice, but I really don't miss it as it stands. The only thing I'd genuinely like them to improve are cosmetics, which I am working on doing myself with modding (I'm thinking turning the red arches white, and the grilles black). Maybe velour temple pads as well, but again, I can just make those.

Oct 7, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #7 of 35
I'd like to see a replacement, if for nothing else, to simply drop the resale value of the K1000's a bit and make them more accessible for people who otherwise wouldn't have the chance to hear these -amazing?- set of cans. (Such as me
smily_headphones1.gif
) Apart from that, can't really comment.

Oct 7, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #9 of 35
Well I for one wish the bass extended linearly down to 20hz. I know it is possible to do this without sacrificing tonal purity and resolution up the FR spectrum. Those bottom few octaves would totally rule.

It would also be nice to see a beefier stock cable and pressure adjustment (really clamps my big fat head
k1000smile.gif
).

Having them in production again would totally set my heart at ease too because if I ever lost or damaged mine I dunno what I'd do.

Oct 7, 2006 at 8:55 PM Post #10 of 35
I would love to see a replacement. I love them so much that everytime I see them for sale I'm tempted to get a second pair for backup. But I'm content as long as AKG has drivers and can repair them.

Mine extend down to 35 Hz with really poor amplification. In my opinion classical music and some jazz is the only music I listen to that requires really good sub bass extension; but even then you're not getting that palpable feeling you get with speakers with such frequencies.

Oct 7, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
I would love to see a replacement. I love them so much that everytime I see them for sale I'm tempted to get a second pair for backup. But I'm content as long as AKG has drivers and can repair them.

Mine extend down to 35 Hz with really poor amplification. In my opinion classical music and some jazz is the only music I listen to that requires really good sub bass extension; but even then you're not getting that palpable feeling you get with speakers with such frequencies.

Try Portishead - It Could Be Sweet...

And yeah, lots of symphonic feels like something is missing during the big bass drum hits.

And kick drums feel a little lighter weight than they should. Spend an hour with ER4s then move to K1000s and it's obvious. Though what is there is so sweet.
k1000smile.gif

Hmm.. though maybe I'm not qualified to comment as I haven't exactly heard them through good amplification. Soon though..... soooon!

Oct 7, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #12 of 35
On my setup, the K1000s extends down to about 26Hz when I tested using a tone generator. However, the bass starts to roll off around 32Hz. I'm sure that something like the FirstWatt F1 can probably extend the bass even lower, or at least the roll-off point will be lower.

Oct 7, 2006 at 10:39 PM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveA
Hi All:

I made an inquiry to an online retailer about the availability of AKG K1000s. I know they have been long discontinued but they were still advertising them on their website. I received a prompt and pleasant reply stating their site was out of date and indeed they no longer had any for sale. He added a tidbit that piqued my interest: there will be a new model but they don’t know when it will be introduced / available.

This is the first I’ve heard of a possible replacement. Anyone else have any information?

The retailer is probably just misinformed.

According to AKG Austria/Germany there's no K1001 in the pipe.

I'd like to see an improved version though.
Same technology.Less matter.Better transient response.

It's possible nowadays to construct dynamic drivers with eletrostatics like transient response.Sony has proven it.

Oct 7, 2006 at 11:48 PM Post #15 of 35
No. The K1000 is dead. No replacement on the horizon. As good as it was, it just didn't do enough volume to justify its own existence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back