AKG K1000 Replacement on the Horizon?
Oct 8, 2006 at 12:16 AM Post #16 of 35
I would be extremley pissed if a K1000 replacement was released because then I would have to sell my K1000 at a big loss and then buy the new one with a big pricetag. Really something I dont need with this whole D02A situation.

Oct 8, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
Duggeh is way ahead of them.

I don't see how they can improve on the K-1000. If they add bass extension or reinforcement, then it will screw up the midrange and highs. Everything else is just right to me. Anything added or changed will just destroy what makes them so great.

That being said. I'd have to bite if they came out with a replacement of my favorite headphones.

Continue the earspeaker philosophy by incorporating dual drivers and an active digital crossover:
0.5" Diamond/Beryllium Tweeter
2.5" Midrange/Woofer

Retail of about $1-2k

Oct 8, 2006 at 6:08 AM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
I would be extremley pissed if a K1000 replacement was released because then I would have to sell my K1000 at a big loss and then buy the new one with a big pricetag. Really something I dont need with this whole D02A situation.

Yes, I'm sure you'd HAVE to. Gotta hate that hired hitman AKG would send out to you if you didn't!
wink.gif

Oct 8, 2006 at 6:14 AM Post #19 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
That'd be amazing, but I don't buy it. And I'm kind of with rob on this one. I don't really know what they could improve for me; I don't even care much about the really deep bass. I mean, sure, if they were EXACTLY the same as they are, and had that, it would be nice, but I really don't miss it as it stands. The only thing I'd genuinely like them to improve are cosmetics, which I am working on doing myself with modding (I'm thinking turning the red arches white, and the grilles black). Maybe velour temple pads as well, but again, I can just make those.

^^
may1100014fm0zb.jpg

Taken from:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=179304

Oct 8, 2006 at 6:49 AM Post #20 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003

I'd be upset as well. But whatever, I'm not parting from the K-1000 for a while even if there is a newer model.

Oct 8, 2006 at 7:01 AM Post #21 of 35
If there is a replacement model of K1000 I would not be able to resist....

Oct 9, 2006 at 5:44 AM Post #22 of 35
I am not holding my breath as far as any replacement. For one thing, the kind of take-no-prisoners engineering brief that drove the original AKG k-1000s comes along rarely. Marketing more often drives a design than balls-to-the-walls engineering, and remember that the K-1000 was originally developed as a product to sell to studio engineers (that's how i got mine several years ago), and not consumers.

Maybe I'm wrong and AKG would once again give their engineers a carte blanc as they did on the original project, but I'm skeptical. Beyond that, how many classic audiophile components were truly bested by their successors? The original Quad 57? I don't think so. The original ls3/5a? Has any mini monitor ever really bested it -- unh unh. The AKG K-1000 in theory could be bettered with updated materials and drivers, but with the cult that has formed around the headphone (and yes, I'm as guilty of membership as the rest of you) it would inevitably lead to some "suit" at Harmon insisting that AKG tailor the new K-1000 for the "audiophile" freaks at Head-fi. That would be the kiss of death.

Just be thankful you were in on the original, real deal. These are the good old days.
k1000smile.gif

Oct 10, 2006 at 12:30 AM Post #23 of 35
Great responses everyone! I agree that engineering "statement" products are rarely a priority at marketing-driven companies (sadly mine included). But I believe the market is there for $1K+ headphones as long as you are happy with units in the 100s and not 10,000s.

I wonder if Mr. Herstens has any inkling of AKG's future plans?

Steve

Oct 22, 2006 at 6:51 AM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
No. The K1000 is dead. No replacement on the horizon. As good as it was, it just didn't do enough volume to justify its own existence.

Was this the reason that AKG killed the K1000? (I'll avoid making the obvious pun on "volume.") AKG seems to sell a lot of low-volume products (for example, the "Hearo" series).

Moreover, the K1000 seemed to have a market pretty much to itself -- well, there was the Sony MDR-F1 (which is also discontinued -- I love the F1, but I seem to be in a definite minority on this point.) Some may argue that we have headphones that sound as good at the K1000 (although I will argue this point) but it is certainly the case that there is no contemporary headphone that feels as comfortable (especially on a hot day) as the K1000.

(Indeed, the explosion of interest in "in ear headphones" suggests that the sort of cushy-comfort that I covet is far down the priority list of many Head-Fi readers.)

I wonder if something about the manufacturing costs or process of the K1000 that changed, or if AKG just decided to keep the number of headphones they distribute constant with their introduction of the K701.

In any case, I think it is a big pity. My favorite higher-end headphones are the Sony MDR-CD3000 and the K1000, both with highly unique personalities, both now discontinued -- and while the AS3000 and K701 are interesting, neither can be considered as replacements. I can't but help wonder if the early 2000s were a golden age for headphones. Or maybe I'm just becoming an old fogie.

Oct 22, 2006 at 6:57 AM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003

So, you don't want them to release something newer and better just so you won't want to buy it? And deprives others of a replacement?

Oct 22, 2006 at 7:04 AM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by fmplautus
I am not holding my breath as far as any replacement. For one thing, the kind of take-no-prisoners engineering brief that drove the original AKG k-1000s comes along rarely. Marketing more often drives a design than balls-to-the-walls engineering, and remember that the K-1000 was originally developed as a product to sell to studio engineers (that's how i got mine several years ago), and not consumers.

Maybe I'm wrong and AKG would once again give their engineers a carte blanc as they did on the original project, but I'm skeptical. Beyond that, how many classic audiophile components were truly bested by their successors? The original Quad 57? I don't think so. The original ls3/5a? Has any mini monitor ever really bested it -- unh unh. The AKG K-1000 in theory could be bettered with updated materials and drivers, but with the cult that has formed around the headphone (and yes, I'm as guilty of membership as the rest of you) it would inevitably lead to some "suit" at Harmon insisting that AKG tailor the new K-1000 for the "audiophile" freaks at Head-fi. That would be the kiss of death.

Just be thankful you were in on the original, real deal. These are the good old days.
k1000smile.gif

Besides, the K701 is still relatively new.
cool.gif

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I think we'd have better luck waiting for HD700.

Oct 22, 2006 at 11:00 AM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy
Besides, the K701 is still relatively new.

Yeah, generally a ridiculous top model isn't so much about profit per unit as about brand identity. Like how Sennheiser used the Orpheus to finally convince people that they were as good as Beyer and AKG. For such a duty, there's a shelf life; when the buzz dies down, the top model doesn't contribute much to the brand anymore. The K1K was just too old, a bit old-fashioned looking with no new articles about it in the audio press. Ripe for the axe. Unfortunately, AKG's reputation is doing pretty well right now, so I don't know if there's any perceived need for another sports car model.

Oct 22, 2006 at 12:32 PM Post #29 of 35
I just spoke with the US National Sales Manager of AKG. There is no planned replacement for the K1000’s. What he reiterated is what he has told me before (and what I have parroted here) is that the K1000’s had been discontinued on at least two previous occasions and due to demand had been resurrected. It’s not likely, but it could happen.

Don’t hold your breath though. They’re not even considering it at this point.

Oct 22, 2006 at 1:26 PM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
Continue the earspeaker philosophy by incorporating dual drivers and an active digital crossover:
0.5" Diamond/Beryllium Tweeter
2.5" Midrange/Woofer

Retail of about $1-2k

the beauty of most headphones is the single driver, as you introduce multiple drivers the crossover can cause havoc. With the driver so close to your ears you can get the job done with a single driver

Users who are viewing this thread

Back