AKG K-701's. The best all rounder.
Feb 16, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #31 of 61
I can't stand the K701's... they sound terrible with rock. Almost no bass to speak of, even on the highest-end setups. All-arounder? Hardly. For me, that would go to the HD595's.

Feb 16, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #32 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Invariably, when putting the K701 back on after listening to any other headphone, I tend to prefer them [the K701].

That said, I find the K501 more midrange-forward and therefore in some respects clearer and more detailed in the midrange (i.e., picking up midrange nuances in vocals, strings, brass, etc.), precisely because these frequencies are purposely showcased, with no corresponding "competition" from the very highs or the lows. The RAL re-cable greatly enlarged the sound stage of the K701, but the stock K501 are not far behind, if not on-par with, the RAL/K701 in that respect.

I agree 100% with your findings. That forward midrange is so engaging with the k501 that I prefer it to the k701. The k701 is slightly more refined, so I can see why people like both. The k701 is closer to the k1000's signature than the k501's, but overall out of all the akg's I prefer the midrange of the k501 the most.

Feb 16, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #34 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That forward midrange is so engaging with the k501 that I prefer it to the k701. The k701 is slightly more refined, so I can see why people like both. The k701 is closer to the k1000's signature than the k501's, but overall out of all the akg's I prefer the midrange of the k501 the most.

I can go along with that. Now that I have them amped well, the K-701 has opened up and begun to sing for me. My appreciation is growing, but they still can't match the magic of K-501 mids or the overall experience of the K-1000. But the K-701 now has a place in my heart.

Though my favorite all-rounder is probably now the HD-600.
eek.gif

The K-701 is my second choice.

Feb 16, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #35 of 61
I have K701 & D2000, and I already spent many days with D2000 previously. I agree both headphones are good all-rounder, but K701 definitely an upgrade over D2000 for me.

K701 simply sound more crystal clear and refined than D2000, although the bass isn't strong as D2000, but they're quite natural.
I paired both cans with my -already-gone- Heed Canamp & my recent OMZ v4 built in amp. K701 simply out phased D2000 by many level.

Yet I still love using D2000 for watching movies or playing games, but if I choose one, I would choose K701.

Feb 16, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #36 of 61
Isint there anything one man can do to loosen up a bit that headband? I love the sound but after a while a cant concentrate because of the pain...
frown.gif

Those engineers ar AKG must have really small heads....

Feb 16, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #37 of 61
Stretch the headband for 1 day, it will solve the problem.
I leave it mine on 2 litre Fiji water bottle
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #38 of 61
readjusting the 701 every so often seems to help with fit and comfort. i really don't find them that uncomfortable though. making minor adjustments, i can easily wear the 701 for a few hours straight.

Feb 17, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #41 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by OvidiuDanut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isint there anything one man can do to loosen up a bit that headband?...

My AKG-501s were way too tight when new. I blew up a baloon and put the headphones on it when not in use. It was a bit hard to get them to stay on the baloon sometimes, but with a little practice I could manage it. After a few weeks they fit very nicely.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2008 at 6:43 AM Post #42 of 61
Mmmm - that head band is now seriously p*ssing me off.
mad.gif
mad.gif

I'm doing the ball stretch at night when I go to sleep.
(I put my headphone around a football to stretch it out).
I really do hope it softens up.

On another side note - "all rounder" for me also includes price. I got mine new for about $310 AUD due to the strong dollar.

Feb 17, 2008 at 6:48 AM Post #43 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, I tried Arietta, and didn't like it.
I tried uAMP (don't laugh) and didn't like it
I tried MOVE and didn't like it,
I finally tried BADA PH-12 and my K701 likes it a LOT
biggrin.gif

I would like to try Canamp and Darkvoice sometime

what did you find when you used the Arietta?

Feb 17, 2008 at 7:20 AM Post #44 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by FinnishPower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what did you find when you used the Arietta?

It sounded little too sterile, (it might be due to the fact that K701 only had 100 hours on it) detail was only slightly improved. Treble and midrange was nice, but bass was only okay. Soundstage was quite nice, but honestly, I felt that MOVE did almost everything that Arietta did so I sold Arietta to my friend and got a BADA PH-12 instead. WOW!! what a difference!!!

Feb 17, 2008 at 7:25 AM Post #45 of 61
That damn bump in the middle of the head band sits on the crown of your head. I agree that a slight rearrangement or positioning once and awhile is the best thing. I cant decide what I like best for an all a rounder, 650s or the 701s. I swear its different from album to album. I love the 701s for female vocals and jazz and the 650s for quicker stuff or rock but there are always exceptions. Frampton Comes Alive is soooooooo much better with the 701s. Maybe because its live, hell I don't know. I think I need to scrape for a Zana Deux so I can just close my eyes and point, keep one set of cans and sell the others, trying to find a reasonably priced amp that makes both sing is like playing pin the tail on the donkey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back