AKG K-701's. The best all rounder.
Feb 15, 2008 at 3:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

KrooLism

500+ Head-Fier
'Lo All.

It's been a while since I've been opinionated on Head-Fi.

Just received my new K-701's.

I dunno. Nothing really stands out about it. It's not as smooth or soothing as the HD-650, PS-1's are simply better for rock music period and the K-1000's certainly has more fidelity though lacking bass.

But... If you're like me and simply cannnnnnot be assed switching back and forth - try out the K-701's.

There are certainly no disappointments here.

Feb 15, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #2 of 61
That's been my reaction as well, after having mine about a week. They don't jump out at you as going any one thing really astoundingly well. They just do everything RIGHT.

Feb 15, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #3 of 61
Mine really took burn-in period to another level. I have around 800 hrs on mine and sound fantastic afterwards.
Mine sounds amazing on Classical music, as well as Jazz and blues
biggrin.gif

Feb 15, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #4 of 61
I love mine too, but I'm discovering quickly how picky these things are when it comes to amps (I'm already on my third!).

Feb 15, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #5 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigjppop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love mine too, but I'm discovering quickly how picky these things are when it comes to amps (I'm already on my third!).

I agree, I tried Arietta, and didn't like it.
I tried uAMP (don't laugh) and didn't like it
I tried MOVE and didn't like it,
I finally tried BADA PH-12 and my K701 likes it a LOT
biggrin.gif

I would like to try Canamp and Darkvoice sometime

Feb 15, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #6 of 61
I've tried the X-can v3; its nice but not tubey enough for me.

I've tried the WA3+ and its got a glorious tube sound, but it just doesn't have to umph to grab hold of the base on the 701's.

Now I have a WA6 in the mail to see if this little baby might just have my number.

Gotta love head-fi!

Feb 15, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #10 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by M3NTAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If only it's ear pads were softer and there was more bass impact.... I'd have them back in my corral

Yea - been listening for about 5 hous now. Not very comfortable for long periods.

Any fix to this?
mad.gif

Side note: Straight out of DAC1 is very good for them. Crystal clear music.

Feb 15, 2008 at 6:56 AM Post #11 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by KrooLism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea - been listening for about 5 hous now. Not very comfortable for long periods.

Any fix to this?
mad.gif

Side note: Straight out of DAC1 is very good for them. Crystal clear music.

Just keep listening
biggrin.gif
ear pads soften up.
Also I tend to wear them little bit lower (so that my ear canal is located little above the center of the headphone) and tiny bit to the front.

Feb 15, 2008 at 1:45 PM Post #12 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, I tried Arietta, and didn't like it.
I tried uAMP (don't laugh) and didn't like it
I tried MOVE and didn't like it,
I finally tried BADA PH-12 and my K701 likes it a LOT
biggrin.gif

I would like to try Canamp and Darkvoice sometime

Tried Gilmore [too etched and sterile], MPX3 (non-SLAMM) [not enough juice], Darkvoice 336i and Bada PH-12. Preferred and kept the Bada PH-12, although the 336i paired well w/the K701, too. (The DV seemed to impart a little more life and impact, but fell behind the Bada in terms of detail, extension, bass definition, spaciousness and overall likability.)

With the RAL re-cable ("Paradise Cryo-Silver Reference"/5 nines, solid core, cryogenically treated silver), the K701 were brought to another, almost transcendent level in every respect. They are my bona fide, "go-to" reference cans. Invariably, after listening to another set of headphones, I don the K701 and realize just how MUCH was missing before. : )

Thank you, AKG; and thank you, Brad Vojtec at RAL! : )

Feb 15, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #13 of 61
Not sure how many folks on this thread have had their "stock" K701s recabled. I was always skeptical about doing this but since I was planning to go balanced anyway, I decided to order K701s with a (Cardas) Fat Pipe balanced cable from HeadRoom. The improvement is not insignificant... and even more amazingly is apparent even after only 10 hours break in. I happen to have a stock K701 to compare, so I'm convinced the improvement is real.

My feeling is that you probably have not heard what the K701s are really capable of until they are re-cabled. Now, there are those who might argue that the K701s were designed and intended to be used only with the stock cable but frankly I find that hard to fathom, unless you argue that the AKG engineers had a specific "sound" in mind -- which of course would change to some degree after recabling. I don't know if anyone has done a sound spectrum analysis comparing "stock" with recable K701s, but I suspect you might see some differences. But other improvements that I hear such as better soundstaging and retrieval of low-level detail still may not show up.

Feb 15, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #14 of 61
I really liked mine. They only went because the K-1000 did it for me better, but I really did like the accurate "clean" sound that they gave me.

Feb 15, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #15 of 61
Right now, I'm a/b-ing the RAL/K701 and the (stock) K501. In all fairness, the K501 should have the equivalent re-cable, but I don't have the expendable income at the moment. Wish I had a stock set of K701 for a "stock-to-stock" a/b. : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back