AKG K-701's. The best all rounder.
Feb 17, 2008 at 8:09 AM Post #46 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorito123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That damn bump in the middle of the head band sits on the crown of your head. I agree that a slight rearrangement or positioning once and awhile is the best thing. I cant decide what I like best for an all a rounder, 650s or the 701s. I swear its different from album to album. I love the 701s for female vocals and jazz and the 650s for quicker stuff or rock but there are always exceptions. Frampton Comes Alive is soooooooo much better with the 701s. Maybe because its live, hell I don't know. I think I need to scrape for a Zana Deux so I can just close my eyes and point, keep one set of cans and sell the others, trying to find a reasonably priced amp that makes both sing is like playing pin the tail on the donkey.

I agree with K701 part - Live music is heaven on K701s...Eric Clapton unplugged WOW!!!! I don't find mine uncomfortable at all...I can listen to mine several hours straight
biggrin.gif

I found HD650s too slow and bassy...then again, I'm an anti-basshead :p

Feb 17, 2008 at 9:12 AM Post #47 of 61
I strech k701 around the stand it comes with to lossen the pressure on the ears, and for the headband i keep it streched with an elastic strapped to the upper "bars". I'm curios if it will lossen up.

Feb 17, 2008 at 10:55 AM Post #48 of 61
I have around 40 hours on my 701s. To me, they sound great with my DAC1 USB. In fact, they have many similarities with my DT880s.

Feb 17, 2008 at 10:57 AM Post #49 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by KrooLism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On another side note - "all rounder" for me also includes price. I got mine new for about $310 AUD due to the strong dollar.

what the hell, where from??!

Feb 17, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #50 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorito123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That damn bump in the middle of the head band sits on the crown of your head. I agree that a slight rearrangement or positioning once and awhile is the best thing.

I usually don't agree with Sr. Dorito
tongue.gif
but... that bump kills me. My head maxxes out the spring loading to the top of the headband, so I can't even add a piece of foam. My ear sits on the bottom of the earpad instead of "in it".

Feb 18, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #52 of 61
I've got the K701 arriving this week to try with my Channel Islands Audio VPH-2 amp. I will compare with my Grado SR-325 and post results after break-in. I will also be getting a CI Audio DAC soon to add to the mix. I can already hear a lot more detail with my SR-325is with the CI Audio amp compared to my Ray Samuels Tomahawk, although the highs seem over pronounced. I'm hoping the highs will mellow out a little after break-in. Overall the VHP-2 sounds very good.

Feb 18, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #53 of 61
It makes the acoustic sounds right in good price, unlike boasting RS-1, w5000, L3000 that makes heavenly sound on some roles but not certain...

Feb 18, 2008 at 10:31 AM Post #54 of 61
WindowsX is right -

The K701 covers a broader band of music - and recording quality - more comfortably than higher-strung - and more expensive headphones - do. Money will but you a hot race horse, but you can't just trot around the racecourse with her. More mundane cans adapt better to today's bad mastering and crappy digital.

Feb 18, 2008 at 11:22 AM Post #55 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WindowsX is right -

The K701 covers a broader band of music - and recording quality - more comfortably than higher-strung - and more expensive headphones - do. Money will but you a hot race horse, but you can't just trot around the racecourse with her. More mundane cans adapt better to today's bad mastering and crappy digital.

Extremely good point.

Feb 18, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #56 of 61
If they spaced out the pads on the head band so a crease was in the center (kinda like the 650s) then it would conform to the top of your head, how could they make such a nice set of phones and mess that up? Better yet why not make it out of something more conforming all together, like some sort of fabric or whatever.

Feb 18, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #57 of 61
I have what I (and others) would consider a big head

And yet I've never had fit issues with the K701... and rarely any other headphones for that matter...

Maybe my head is the right shape and made for headphones ??? =\

Feb 18, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #58 of 61
Top of a head is convex, and the top of the 701 headband is flat, that is why the headband on the 650s is recessed in the center, I envy you, but its ok I just move them from time to time and its not so bad. After a few hours though they have to come off. Sorry if im pointing out obvious things. I do have a big head (two or three notches off the hat size chart) and I also think using up more than an average amount of the tension in the headband retractors causes too much pressure on the headband. There is no love for fatheads like me. LOL

Feb 18, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #60 of 61
Mids are spectacular, all the detail you could ever want. Bass is kinda hard to explain. The bass doesn't roll off and because of this they wont accentuate any particular part of the bass and I think this is why so many people say the 701s are light in the bass dept (best explanation Ive heard yet). When you hear a drum note on the 650s and alot of other headphones you hear a soft boom, on the 701s its more like a snap because you can hear the drum stick hitting the drum. Im sure someone can describe it better than I can. Tight and snappy if you will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back