AKG K 551 vs K 550
Nov 4, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #3 of 36
As far as I know, the only difference would be new color schemes and new cable, w/ remote and mic. Hifiguy528 should do an unboxing this week. 

I hope nothing else changes. I've just bought a K550 and wouldn't be nice to see a newer, better model on the market. 

Nov 5, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #4 of 36
From what I can tell from the photos and the marketing shpiel on AKG's site:

K550
K551
Cable length
3m (99.99%)​
1.3m (99.99%)​
Cable ending
3.5mm mini jack (gold plated) screw on adapter for 6.3mm​
3.5mm mini (not gold) adapter included but not screw on​
Detachable cable
no​
no​
mic/Volume
no​
yes​
carrying pouch
no​
yes​
Comments
In the promo photos the cable looks significantly thinner than the 550's. Also the box on the 551's has the yellow "on the go" tag as opposed to the pink "home use" tag the 550's have. Not sure if that implies anything in terms of performance or just marketing.​
System
Dynamic​
Design
Closed Back​
Freq Range
12Hz - 28kHz​
Sensitivity
114dB SPL/V​
input impedence
32 ohms​
Max input power
200 mW​
Weight
350g​

Those are the (so far) physical differences. It looks to be a simple marketing trick with the only changes being in lieu of portability (pouch, shorter cable and mic/volume)
Of course we will have to wait for a proper review to see if anything has been changed/updated in regards to sound quality, insulation/padding, build quality and of course the ever present fitting/isolation.

I hope there is a review soon, I am on the verge of buying.

Nov 6, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #6 of 36
Quote:
I'm glad to see they included a pouch, although I'd like to see a hard case, like the ones V-Mode includes with its M series.

Anyway, looks like a marketing trick, as you said. 

+1 on the hard case!

You'd think that they would include a hard travel case for, what seems to be, the portable version of the K550's (i.e. K551's); but no...instead the dust pouch is there. A welcome inclusion nonetheless but ironically the accessory perfect for the home-dwelling K550's.

Let's hope HiFiGuy528 can give us some insight soon.

Nov 16, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #9 of 36
No coiled cable, no pouch either. Differences are colors, remote control on the cable and mic. Which by the way are very easy to use and very responsive....
if anyone is looking to buy them at a cheaper price buy from this guy. I got mine from him and saved some good money. 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110974797376?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649 

May 11, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #13 of 36
Hi everyone,

I've published my own review of AKG-K551 after joining AKG's "Expert Panel", which in my opinion is a great way to keep fans interested and engaged inviting them to test the products and take part into webinars hosted by AKG engineers. The review, which is in italian, can be read (and Google-translated!) at http://microcose.blogspot.it/2012/12/recensione-cuffie-akg-k551.html

I'm posting this for a different problem, though, which involves the new audio mini-jack "made for iPod": as this jack includes an addictional tiny section made to transmit commands to the phone (since the cord hosts a microphone and a remote control) I find it very difficult to use these AKGs with devices other than Apple's.

For instance, when I plug the phones to my Android phone, they don't even get recognized (unless I find that critical and unstable sweet spot) and the sound keeps coming out from the phone's speaker. Similar problems happen with my headphone amplifier (a chinese made hybrid one) and with my DAC as well: pairing is tricky, and most of the times no sound (or a badly "compromised" one, with frequencies missing) is all you can get.

Do you know of an adapter to transform this jack into a "normal" one, which can be used flawlessy on all audio products?

Thanx in advance for your help!

Dec 18, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #14 of 36
Hello there, im looking for a new pair of cans... i've read that K551 are not so enjoyable since they are quite flat .. ill use them for films/game and music (genre is electronic and famous hits )

Dec 18, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #15 of 36
Hello there, im looking for a new pair of cans... i've read that K551 are not so enjoyable since they are quite flat .. ill use them for films/game and music (genre is electronic and famous hits )

akg 550/551 are quite flat. they have a great sound stage for competitive FPS, but I imagine for the explosions of movies/games & the bass of edm, you can find a more suitable pair of headphones. if you love your bass, i would suggestion the m100 - v-shaped bass-heavy sound signature great for EDM. the momentum is another good option: very technical sound signature w/ lots of clarity & a slight bass boost.

the new akg k545 is said to have more bass, so that is a great option at $200. I have never heard em tho, so I can't comment about it's sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back