AKG K 480 NC vs any other
Apr 26, 2011 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

TobiTeeuws

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, i'm new here to this forum and i'm searching for a new pair of headphones.
I broke my AKG K430's and they were pretty good. I looked around at the forum here and I came across the AKG K480 NC's.
And My question is: Are they good? Or do you have any other suggestions?
I want to use my headphones for like on the bus or when i'm travelling by plane with my iphone but also when i'm using my laptop. Do you have suggestions?
My Price range is like €300

Greetz Tobi 
L3000.gif

Apr 26, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #2 of 15
Welcome to head-fi!

For 300 euro's you can do a lot better then pay for noise cancelling mediocre headphones (at least for that price).

You can buy a pretty decent headphone amp, lod cable and Sennheiser HD-25 for that price for example, which blows the AKG 480 away.
A good portable AKG option would be the K181

Another nice portable for under that price could be the Audio Technica ESW9. You could even buy a Beyerdynamic 1350 or Audio Technica ES10.

Either way, read this excellent topic by joker: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-78-portable-headphones-reviewed-sennheiser-px90-px100-ii-added-04-17 

Apr 26, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #3 of 15
Bedankt voor de informatie man :wink: Ik zal ze zeker allemaal eens bekijke :wink:
Greetz 

Apr 26, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #4 of 15

Quote:
Bedankt voor de informatie man :wink: Ik zal ze zeker allemaal eens bekijke :wink:
Greetz 

hehe, I already thought you were Dutch or Belgian (your name).
Take your time and enjoy the ride, my fellow Dutch speeking man! And please, don't buy the 480, you can do a lot better.

Apr 26, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #5 of 15
Okay no problem mate :wink:
Do you have some other suggestions? Because the ones you have said are not that easy to find in Belgian retailers if you know what I mean. Just the crappy beats by dre and stuff.
I'd like to have a cable I can take off my headphone. (Cause I ripped off my k430) So I can replace it. Also a nice case when i'm travelling cause the HD-25 haven't a nice case. Just a pouch. 
And I see you have the K450's. How are they?
And the Q460's from AKG seems decent (i'm not a audiophile, i know) 
I'm not only interested in AKG but it's just because I know the brand a little bit. 
All suggestions are welcome and I know i'm very perfectionistic but i'd like to spent my money on very very good headphones.
And anyway thanks for your help :) 
greetz Tobi

Apr 26, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #6 of 15
Tobi, if you're really willing to pay 300 euro's for good sound, you have decent possibilities

K450 = Q460, they are the same in sound. They're nice for 66 euro's, but again, you can do a lot better in your budget

Please give some more info on which kind of music you listen to and your sound preferences, if you will

An excellent store for us Europeans: http://www.thomann.de/nl/koptelefoon.html 

Apr 27, 2011 at 7:24 AM Post #7 of 15
Euhm, Most off all I listen to rock but also some other genres like pop, drum n' bass and some other. 
I took a look at the sennheiser HD-25 and they look amazing! :D 
They seem really well built.
And the topic by joker you proposed is like you said excellent!

Apr 27, 2011 at 7:29 AM Post #8 of 15
Well yes. I listen to a lot of rock-orientated music and had quite some portables. HD-25 is the best I could find, I prefer it over ESW9, P5, T50.

HD-25 loves a headphone amp, and when used with iphone/ipod, you can make it sound noticably better with a LOD cable (cable from the Line Out of you ipod/iphone (onderkant ervan, clean signal) to the portable amp)

Apr 27, 2011 at 8:19 AM Post #9 of 15
Yeah that seems pretty nice, what version of hd-25 should I take?
Because there are 2 versions on the site thomann.
You have the BE's and the C II's . Which one is the best?
And could you give me a link of such a lod cable? Is this setting expensive?

Apr 27, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #10 of 15
I prefer HD-25-1 II (velour pads) http://www.thomann.de/nl/sennheiser_hd251_ii.htm?sid=4c573f46c001097ef48e246d3fec7ec0 

The LOD is only needed and useable with a headphone amplifier. With cables, as with many headphone related stuff, you can make it as expensive as you want, but FiiO's cables are decent for the money I suppose http://www.hifitogo.com/nl/accessoires/fiio.html 

I'd read a little bit about portable amps etc. if I were you

Also, I get a lot of my stuff here at the head-fi For Sale section, excellent experiences.

Apr 29, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #12 of 15
I have them!! :D i've bougt the HD-25-1-II by adidas and they look amazing!! :D

Apr 30, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #15 of 15
Ah, well done

Congrats, enjoy them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back