AKG K-401 or Senn HD580?
Apr 7, 2002 at 11:53 PM Post #31 of 57
Violeta,

It seems that if you really don't know what you want specifically other than a high quality can, the best and safest place to start is with the Sennheiser 580's*. No matter what, with these you cannot go all that wrong. Chances are you will like them very much, even if they don't remain your favorites forever. Near Senn HD600 sound for a relative "song" (pardon).

BTW, have you checked out jwf2's advertisement in the ForSale/Trade forum? At that price you could afford a decent amp (from HeadRoom, maybe?) and really be able to evaluate them. If, for some reason, they were not your cup-of-tea, they would be relatively easy to sell afterward or just keep and get something with a different type of sound.

*(I have not personally heard these)

Apr 8, 2002 at 3:25 AM Post #32 of 57
Well, right now I am trying to decide between the HD590's and the Beyer DT931's. I've ruled out the 580 as being just too hard to properly drive. I know it can be driven out of a JMT, but to sing it needs a Blockhead. And I'm NOT buying a Blockhead. If I'm shelling that much money out I would just buy a Stax and be done with it. That's what I want. I want electrostatic sound. But not wimpy-ass HD600 type electrostatic sound, I want something that is going to propel me INTO the music. That's why I'm thinking DT931. It has all the good qualities of the HD600 with a more forward sound. And without the damn midbass hump. It's just bright. I can live with bright, as long as it sounds good. It's better than unengaging sleepyville.

Apr 8, 2002 at 3:51 AM Post #33 of 57
violeta, remember that you haven't actually heard any of these headphones
wink.gif
Before you go characterizing all of these headphones and making decisions based on other people's reviews, you should really try them out.

Apr 8, 2002 at 4:22 AM Post #34 of 57
Well, unfortunately I CAN'T try them out. There are NO Beyer dealers in my area, NO dealers carrying Senns above the HD570, nothing. NOTHING. Anything even mentioned on this forum even worth buying I have to order online. And I do not feel like driving 400 miles over to Headroom to try out some headphones. I do not have the time or the money. So I have to base my decisions on what I've read. I haven't read once that the Sennheiser HD580/600 is forward when powered by a JMT. I've always read that it was laid back. So, by going with the scientific method, they are laid back when used with a JMT. But when used with a Blockhead, I always read that they sounded more in the middle. So, by using the same deduction method, I can assume the amplifier makes the headphone sound neutral. Here are the known facts: I cannot afford a Blockhead. I can only afford a JMT. I hate laid back sound.

If electrostatic headphones sound anything like electrostatic speakers, then I know that they have a neutral soundstage. The Beyer DT931 is unanimously said to have a soundstage on the forward side of neutral. Fine with me. Better than sleepyland. The Beyer is also said to be a little bright. Since all of my previous headphones have been a little bright, this is fine too. Last time I made a unwise decision based on one review. But, these headphones have a decent reputation, which the JVC's were a little iffy on. If anyone knows of a definite reason why I shouldn't get the DT931's please tell me, because I'd like to know. But, right now they are looking like the best match for me. The 590's just seem too inaccurate for my tastes.

Apr 8, 2002 at 4:47 AM Post #35 of 57
violetta,
You're misusing the word soundstage. Soundstage has nothing to do with frequency response. This is just an indicator that you really need to begin hearing some of these cans as Mac suggested.

While your line of reasoning is understandable, you really owe it to yourself to get some experience hearing. Buy from Headroom and if you don't like what you've bought, return it within 30 days and try something else.

Happy Listening!

Apr 8, 2002 at 6:04 AM Post #36 of 57
I wasn't misusing it in that way, however. I was trying to say: The placement of the soundstage is "in the middle" in the DT931 as opposed to laid back in an improperly amped HD600. But, I do agree that I need to buy from Headroom. I just hope they can go down to a price that I can afford on the DT931. Or find me a headphone that will fit my needs better that I can afford.

Apr 8, 2002 at 7:07 AM Post #37 of 57
Ah, sorry for the misunderstanding then. Best of luck on your headphone choice!
Cheers!

Apr 8, 2002 at 12:54 PM Post #38 of 57
My personal feeling is that if you get the Senn 590's, you'll spend more money on the long run.
I spent 3 years connecting my HD580's with my laptop and I was quite happy about it. Of course I'm more happy now with the AKG SAC amp.
For about $200, you can get a second hand Senn 580's + JMT amp combo. This should bring you happiness for the next few years. Most of all, you don't need the full potential of the HD580's to enjoy your music.

Good luck.

Apr 8, 2002 at 1:44 PM Post #39 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by PC Corp
[size=xx-small]My personal feeling is that if you get the Senn 590's, you'll spend more money on the long run.
I spent 3 years connecting my HD580's with my laptop and I was quite happy about it. Of course I'm more happy now with the AKG SAC amp.
For about $200, you can get a second hand Senn 580's + JMT amp combo. This should bring you happiness for the next few years. Most of all, you don't need the full potential of the HD580's to enjoy your music.[/size]

I think this is good advice!

Apr 8, 2002 at 1:48 PM Post #40 of 57
A JMT customized for the 580 should also take you far...

Just make sure it has 0 ohm output impedance. (advice from Sennheiser itself!)

My Porta Corda would be driving them pretty well if it weren't broken...
frown.gif
(my fault too)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 9, 2002 at 12:12 AM Post #41 of 57
I was talking to Todd this afternoon and I decided to abandon the high-end headphone idea all together. Instead, I am buying two cheaper headphones that I know that I will love. The Sennheiser HD280 and the Sennheiser HD495. The reason why I didn't keep my previous 495 was that it would distort without an amp, but now that I am getting an amp, problem solved. I will have the 495 when I need a cheap knock around open portable headphone, and I'll have the HD280 for more serious, refined, and tuned out listening. Don't worry, I'll eventually go high end, but when I do, I'll splurge and get the $399 Stax electrostatic vertical headphones. Cheap electrostatic bliss.

Apr 9, 2002 at 12:29 AM Post #42 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by violeta88
I was talking to Todd this afternoon and I decided to abandon the high-end headphone idea all together. Instead, I am buying two cheaper headphones that I know that I will love. The Sennheiser HD280 and the Sennheiser HD495. The reason why I didn't keep my previous 495 was that it would distort without an amp, but now that I am getting an amp, problem solved. I will have the 495 when I need a cheap knock around open portable headphone, and I'll have the HD280 for more serious, refined, and tuned out listening. Don't worry, I'll eventually go high end, but when I do, I'll splurge and get the $399 Stax electrostatic vertical headphones. Cheap electrostatic bliss.

It sounds like Todd made an excellent decision.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2002 at 12:41 AM Post #43 of 57
Well, nevermind that, I'm going Stax NOW. If I order from Japan and forget about getting a JMT, a Stax is in my price range. Better stock up on AA batteries.

Apr 9, 2002 at 12:56 AM Post #44 of 57
Whoa! I am getting dizzy....

Apr 9, 2002 at 1:17 AM Post #45 of 57
BTW, I would not consider the Senn HD280 a "refined" phone. A high-quality, closed can (as closed cans go), yes. But refined, no. The open 495's with an amp should sound better all around*.

*I have not heard the 495's. But the form factor and contruction quality is virtually identical to that of its brother, the infamous 490, which was very good (except for the sound itself) IMO. They were very comfortable, light yet solid, single-sided cord. If the sound of the 495's are as good as Headroom's pre-497 reviews were, they should be a solid value when paired with an appropriate amp, and present a more refined sound than the 280s ever would. If you don't really need the isolation, why bother with the 280's at all?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back