AKG K-401 or Senn HD580?
Apr 6, 2002 at 6:15 PM Post #16 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by violeta88
I'm looking for tight, moderately punchy bass, deep bass extension, a smooth, articulate midrange, and a non-bright, non-rolled off treble. I'm just wondering if the 401's have these qualities.

well, not really.

i owned a pair of K401 for about a month before going back to the HD580s. to me, the K401 looked and sounded like a cheap toy (i can just see team AKG getting their flame-throwers out
biggrin.gif
).

the HD580s are in a different class. they are simply the best headphones i've ever heard (i've heard the grado 125, ety er4-p and the akg K401). bass is great and the highs are not as bright as most. construction is solid and the comfort level is high.

go for the HD580s!
wink.gif

Apr 6, 2002 at 7:08 PM Post #17 of 57
I suggest the 580's as well, my altoids does a decent job of driving them.

Apr 6, 2002 at 7:26 PM Post #18 of 57
I think I'll go with the 580. Does anyone know if the standard Airhead-9v version does a better job at powering the 580's?

Apr 6, 2002 at 8:59 PM Post #20 of 57
Alright, JMT it is. But I'll make sure to get the dual 9V version. BTW, the reason I didn't keep my 497's was because I was having problems with their build quality. And I'm a stickler for build quality. Plus I had started to hear some grain in listening to them and I just couldn't stand them anymore. Not to mention the slight rattling problem that they had developed. Plus, in a couple of months I will be getting a good amount of money so I can buy a decent pair of headphones, just not a pair of AKG K1000's or Audio Technicas. $200 is my limit for headphones. And I want to purchase a pair through Headroom. Todd has helped me a lot throughout these past few months and I haven't bought anything from him, so I think it would only be fair to buy something from him. If anyone has any suggestions for other headphones that Headroom has for $200 or under that might fit my bill better, please tell me. Their price on the 590's is $250 BTW.

Apr 7, 2002 at 12:38 AM Post #23 of 57
I hear rumor that Jan Meier is about to start a sales action on the DT931 so it should be within your budget then.
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree with the 931 recommendation. IMO, you should only get the 580/600 over the 931 if you have a very good amp and you prefer laid back/recessed vocals. With a really great amp, I think I prefer the HD600, but it's close.

Haven't heard the 590 yet, though.
frown.gif

Apr 7, 2002 at 1:38 AM Post #24 of 57
It's already within my budget. He's selling it for $170. I Just don't know what to do about Headroom? Should I buy some $30 headphones from Headroom as a thank you to Todd for his help?

Apr 7, 2002 at 1:46 AM Post #25 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by violeta88
It's already within my budget. He's selling it for $170. I Just don't know what to do about Headroom? Should I buy some $30 headphones from Headroom as a thank you to Todd for his help?

No, I don't think so. You were sincere in your communications with Headroom so if something else comes along go for it. Don't throw money away. They provide those services because it works for them in the long run. If it didn't, they wouldn't. Besides, won't you be needing a sweet little Straightwire mini/mini cable for that JMT?
wink.gif

Apr 7, 2002 at 1:46 AM Post #26 of 57
Ask Todd to price match if you have a good working relationship. Otherwise tell him you'll call him back when you need an Etymotic or a Cosmic.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 7, 2002 at 3:03 AM Post #27 of 57
Thanks pigmode, I will be needing one of those Straightwire connection wires. So I guess Headroom will be getting some business from me after all. And Kelly, I had already planned on doing that. Thanks.

Apr 7, 2002 at 8:48 AM Post #28 of 57
b4 u go for the 580s i just wanna let u know that musicians friend sells the k401 for 100. and i know there's a coupon out there that cuts 25 off that so u could get it for about 80 shipped. all that saved money could go toward a nice amp
smily_headphones1.gif

but if price isn't the issue then go for the 580s.

Apr 7, 2002 at 2:36 PM Post #29 of 57
So, violeta, which would it be now... 580 or 931? Can't quite read you intent from your posts
confused.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 7, 2002 at 9:02 PM Post #30 of 57
Based upon what I can tell from what you've said Violetta, the 401's are definitely not for you and between the 401's and the 580's I feel that in virtually any case I can think of, the 580's are a better choice than the 401's.

Best of luck with your decision!

Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back