AKG K 272 HD vs GermanMAESTRO GMP 8.35 D Monitor vs GermanMAESTRO GMP 435 S
Jul 11, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #16 of 30
Now I have 3 models to decide... 8.35, K 271 MK II and DT770@600 Ohms 
atsmile.gif

But with 600 Ohms I will a powerful amp. What brand and model at affordable price for PC would you recommend me? Better with Velvet or Leather Pads?

Arrrggghhh what a difficult task to decide between all these models...

Jul 11, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #17 of 30

Quote:
Now I have 3 models to decide... 8.35, K 271 MK II and DT770@600 Ohms 
atsmile.gif

But with 600 Ohms I will a powerful amp. What brand and model at affordable price for PC would you recommend me? Better with Velvet or Leather Pads?

Arrrggghhh what a difficult task to decide between all these models...

Yes, that's the downside of the DT770/600. You need indeed a good amp. I can't recommend one, because there are so many. But they work best with a tube amp like a Darkvoice. But that's also because they have a tendency to sound bright.
The choice between velour and leather earpads is a tough one. I sadly didn't spend enough time with them with velour pads.
Most prefer the leather ear pads though.

I think the best thing you can do, is ask German Maestro to loan a couple of their headphones. Hearing them for yourself works better than to read about them.
And the GMP8.300 D is IMO not worse than the DT770/600, except for the soundstage. And their sensitivity is higher.
Don't let the higher ohm fool you, Those higher ohm cans are sometimes easier to drive. Sensitivity plays a more prominent role IMHO.

Jul 11, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #18 of 30
I decided to loan the 8.35 with extra pad to test the sound and the fit. If I don't like them, I will buy the K 271 MK II, because the DT770@600Ohm Manufaktur are a little expensive, plus the fact that need amplification and that means another 100-200€, with a total cost of aprox 550€, whereas that I can buy the K 271 MK II for 140€ shipping included and the 8.35 with extra pads for 185€.

Jul 11, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #19 of 30
Okay, and congrats on the worldcup!

Jul 12, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #21 of 30
Jul 12, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #22 of 30
I have sent the email to Thomas to enter the GermanMAESTRO loan program.

Jul 13, 2010 at 9:50 AM Post #23 of 30
Like I said in the EU Loan program's thread, I have chatted with Thomas through email.

I'm very upset because the shipping cost of returning the headphones from Spain to Germany is half of the sale price.

Now I don't know what to do... anyone can help me?

Jul 13, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #24 of 30

Quote:
Like I said in the EU Loan program's thread, I have chatted with Thomas through email.

I'm very upset because the shipping cost of returning the headphones from Spain to Germany is half of the sale price.

Now I don't know what to do... anyone can help me?

What I do is buying second hand headphones, and then selling the ones I dislike, and keeping the ones I like.
With a little luck, you don't loose too much money.
Problem is you don't find many used GermanMaestro's, but you can always check the selling/trade subforum here at Head-Fi.
Used K271/2 are probably available in Spain on trading boards. I know they are in the Netherlands for under 100 Euro.

Jul 13, 2010 at 10:04 AM Post #25 of 30
Thanks Tiemen, but I think that I don't need to search in the second hand market, because here in Madrid, a shop offers me the K 271 MK II for 120€ new, unused and with warranty, that's 60€ less than the 8.35D and the main reason why I'm so confused..

Maybe I need some re-thinking, maybe I would risk... Who knows? hehehe

Jul 15, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #26 of 30
Yesterday I came across one neighbour, who is german. Luckily, he has a pair of GMP 8.35 D with the 41-6050 pads, so I tested them. They look as sturdy as a rock, are very easily driven and ugly enough to keep away thieves. Though they sound good, IMO not as good as I have expected after reading the reviews, they are the most unconfortable pair of headphones I've ever tried. The clamping force was so extreme that """"almost"""" stapled my glasses to my head and ears. I think that this will improve if the caps weren't fixed to the headband. Also it would be nice if the package include a straight cable, because the coiled cable is a pain in the a**, really.

So, after feeling a little bit upset because of the GMP 8.35 D test, I'm almost decided to buy the K 271 Mk II, because of the price (120€), the accesories and I love that brand since already own a pair of K 324 P IEMs, but first I'm gonna try the SRH840, that recently has caught my attention.

In a near future I don't discard to buy a pair of Grados sr325is or Alessandro MS2 and another pair of more groovy headphones.

Jul 15, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #27 of 30

Quote:
Yesterday I came across one neighbour, who is german. Luckily, he has a pair of GMP 8.35 D with the 41-6050 pads, so I tested them. They look as sturdy as a rock, are very easily driven and ugly enough to keep away thieves. Though they sound good, IMO not as good as I have expected after reading the reviews, they are the most unconfortable pair of headphones I've ever tried. The clamping force was so extreme that """"almost"""" stapled my glasses to my head and ears. I think that this will improve if the caps weren't fixed to the headband. Also it would be nice if the package include a straight cable, because the coiled cable is a pain in the a**, really.

So, after feeling a little bit upset because of the GMP 8.35 D test, I'm almost decided to buy the K 271 Mk II, because of the price (120€), the accesories and I love that brand since already own a pair of K 324 P IEMs, but first I'm gonna try the SRH840, that recently has caught my attention.

In a near future I don't discard to buy a pair of Grados sr325is or Alessandro MS2 and another pair of more groovy headphones.

Sorry to hear that you don't like them, about the clamping force, you can pull the string down and control the pressure on your head. Did you check out the original pad as well?

Jul 15, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #28 of 30
I like them but not as much as I thought I would and I would buy them if the price was about the same as the AKG K 271 MK II, but the GMP with extra pads, dust covers and shipping are 187€ and the AKG are 120€ with a huge bunch of extras.

With the stock pads the sound was a little bit "darker".

About the clamping force... I was unable to solve it... It's the matter of wearing glasses...

Jul 16, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #29 of 30

Quote:
I like them but not as much as I thought I would and I would buy them if the price was about the same as the AKG K 271 MK II, but the GMP with extra pads, dust covers and shipping are 187€ and the AKG are 120€ with a huge bunch of extras.

With the stock pads the sound was a little bit "darker".

About the clamping force... I was unable to solve it... It's the matter of wearing glasses...

Yes, with the stock pads the sound is more darker with warm bass. I just prefer to have both options.

Jul 20, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #30 of 30
Finally, I ended buying the Shure SRH840 and the Audio Technica ATH-M40FS. The AT is the more neutral, detailed, responsive and "monitored" headphone that I have tried.

I'm also considering buying a pair of Fostex T50RP and a pair of Grado SR325is with flats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back