AKG K 272 HD vs GermanMAESTRO GMP 8.35 D Monitor vs GermanMAESTRO GMP 435 S
Jul 9, 2010 at 8:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

SLaRe

100+ Head-Fier
Hello!

I'm from Spain and new to the forum. I have read a lot of threads of this forum about full-size headphones that helped me a lot in discarting various models, but I still have some doubts.

I'm about to buy a pair of headphones for monitoring some music I produce in my free time and for listening to music also. The models that I like are the AKG K 272 HD, the GermanMAESTRO GMP 8.35 D Monitor (probably with the same configuration that Acix has) and the GermanMAESTRO GMP 435 S

In a first moment I also liked the Audio-Technica ATH-M50, but I will buy them in the future for DJing purposes.

Can you help me to choose between the K 272 HD, the GMP 8.35 D and the GMP 435 S?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.

Jul 9, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #2 of 30
You forgot the GMP 8.300 D
biggrin.gif

Jul 9, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 30
The 8.35 sound signature with the oval pads are just between the 271MKll on the light/flat side of the 271MKll, and with the original pads the 8.35 are more on the warm bassy side. @ 35ohm they are great as DJ hps too.

Jul 9, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #4 of 30

Quote:
You forgot the GMP 8.300 D
biggrin.gif

No man, didn't forgot them, but I think it would kinda hard for me to move those 300 ohms. Are you happy with them? What amp do you use?

Quote:
The 8.35 sound signature with the oval pads are just between the 271MKll on the light/flat side of the 271MKll, and with the original pads the 8.35 are more on the warm bassy side. @ 35ohm they are great as DJ hps too.

If you have to choose between one of them, which would you pick up? TBH, Your review of the 8.35 has tempted me to buy them, but I need some help because I'm fan of AKG signature sound.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Jul 11, 2010 at 8:04 AM Post #5 of 30
Any more help? I still have the same doubts and I need a pair of headphones... I'm stuck between them.

The main difference I see is that the K272HD/K271 MK II cost 80€ less than the 8.35 with the extra pads, but money ain't a big problem if they worth it.

Jul 11, 2010 at 8:40 AM Post #6 of 30
If it saves you buying a second pair of headphones for DJ purposes, Acix is probably giving you good advice.  Many people feel the new AKGs aren't really up to par with the vintage ones.  German Maestro makes some pretty special headphones.

Jul 11, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #7 of 30
Yeah, the review that made Acix of the 8.35 helped me a lot. I think I gonna buy them with the optional earpads and in the future will buy a pair of open ones.

Jul 11, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #8 of 30
I honestly think you should consider the GMP 8.300 D as well. Despite their 300 ohm, they are not that difficult to drive.
They have a nice balanced, fast and toetapping sound. Much better than the boring K271/2.
And they are 124,- Euro if you buy them from the German Maestro webshop.
See the link in my sig for a review.

Jul 11, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #9 of 30

Quote:
I honestly think you should consider the GMP 8.300 D as well. Despite their 300 ohm, they are not that difficult to drive.
They have a nice balanced, fast and toetapping sound. Much better than the boring K271/2.
And they are 124,- Euro if you buy them from the German Maestro webshop.
See the link in my sig for a review.

Thanks, gonna check it out and consider them. What amp for PC do you recommend me?

Jul 11, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #10 of 30

Quote:
Thanks, gonna check it out and consider them. What amp for PC do you recommend me?

Doesn't matter that much. They are great out of my tube amp. as well out of the headphone amp in my Denon pre-amp.

BTW: you can always participate in the Geman Maestro loan program to try them out for yourself. Shoot Thomas a email, and he will send all three of them.
See: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/447840/german-maestro-eu-loan-program

Jul 11, 2010 at 9:17 AM Post #11 of 30

Quote:
Doesn't matter that much. They are great out of my tube amp. as well out of the headphone amp in my Denon pre-amp.

BTW: you can always participate in the Geman Maestro loan program to try them out for yourself. Shoot Thomas a email, and he will send all three of them.
See: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/447840/german-maestro-eu-loan-program

The loan program is nice, I will send the email in a while.

I've been reading your review and you say that the soundstage is not very deep. Is it some kind of signature of the sound of GermanMAESTRO o just a thing in this concrete model?

Thanks for all your help.

Jul 11, 2010 at 10:04 AM Post #12 of 30

Quote:

I've been reading your review and you say that the soundstage is not very deep. Is it some kind of signature of the sound of GermanMAESTRO o just a thing in this concrete model?

The EU loan program is a great option for you to check them out for yourself and to see if you like them. The 435 and the 8.35 use the same driver @ 35 ohm, but the 435 have a little bigger sound stage compare to the 8.35 because they are open design. In the future you can check out hps like the K-702.

Jul 11, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #13 of 30

Quote:

I think it has more to do with the closed back design.
The GMP250 I had (btw also a good headphone), has also not a wide soundstage.
But my open MB Quart QP 90 (MB Quart = German Maestro) has the widest soundstage I ever noticed in a headphone.
If you want a closed headphone with a good soundstage, the DT770 Premium would be a better choice, especially the 600 ohm Manufaktur version.

Jul 11, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #14 of 30

Quote:

The EU loan program is a great option for you to check them out for yourself and to see if you like them. The 435 and the 8.35 use the same driver @ 35 ohm, but the 435 have a little bigger sound stage compare to the 8.35 because they are open design. In the future you can check out hps like the K-702.

I think that the desirable thing would be to have an open and a closed back, or not? BTW, I will try to check out the 435 and the 8.35

Quote:
I think it has more to do with the closed back design.
The GMP250 I had (btw also a good headphone), has also not a wide soundstage.
But my open MB Quart QP 90 (MB Quart = German Maestro) has the widest soundstage I ever noticed in a headphone.
If you want a closed headphone with a good soundstage, the DT770 Premium would be a better choice, especially the 600 ohm Manufaktur version.

In my days of reading eagerly this forum, I came to the conclusion that the DT770 wasn't that good for monitoring because they lack a bit in details and where not as good as other rivals. Did I misunderstand it? However, where did you buy the Manufaktur version?

The more I read and search for a good phone, the more confused I am.

Jul 11, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #15 of 30

Quote:
I think that the desirable thing would be to have an open and a closed back, or not? BTW, I will try to check out the 435 and the 8.35

In my days of reading eagerly this forum, I came to the conclusion that the DT770 wasn't that good for monitoring because they lack a bit in details and where not as good as other rivals. Did I misunderstand it? However, where did you buy the Manufaktur version?

The more I read and search for a good phone, the more confused I am.

About the confusion: welkom to Head-fi
biggrin.gif

About the DT770: no headphone have caused more confusion than this one.
This is because there are so many models.
The older Headfi members have lived for a long time with the bass bloated Pro ones, with 80 and 250 ohm. Those are indeed not very detailed.
In 2005 Beyer released a Hi-fi model for home listening, with 250 ohm. Called Premium, or Edition 2005.Those are bright and highly detailed headphones, nothing like the Pro ones.
Later Beyer offered the DT770 Premium in 32 and 600 ohm through their website: 
http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/at-home/music-pleasure/hifi-manufaktur.html
The 600 ohm is highly regarded as one of the best closed headphones you can get for the price. With the Manufaktur option you can also choose leather earpads and so on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back