AKG K 271 good for watching movies?
Sep 29, 2006 at 3:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

the2ndrunner

New Head-Fier
I just got a 42inch plasma and instead of going with a speaker system which would clutter my room to much and annoy my parents, I think I want to go with a good pair of head phones. The plasma has a head phone jack. I've been hearing good things about the akg 271. Are they good for my needs?

Sep 29, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #2 of 11
Have you considered open phones, they usually have a better soundstage. From closed the biggest soundstage I have heard is ATH-A900.
K271S require amp to work properly, A900 don`t.

Sep 29, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #3 of 11
The AKG is a bit light in the bass department, I think. The Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80 ohm) is a great headphone for movies, it's like there's a built-in subwoofer
basshead.gif
cool.gif
Decent soundstage, and no real need for a separate amp.

Sep 29, 2006 at 11:08 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Barry
The AKG is a bit light in the bass department, I think. The Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80 ohm) is a great headphone for movies, it's like there's a built-in subwoofer
basshead.gif
cool.gif
Decent soundstage, and no real need for a separate amp.

x2 or the GS-1000...with a setup like the OP has and his visual marvel, you will want to pack some audio performance into your showcase in AV excellence maybe
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 29, 2006 at 11:44 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Barry
The AKG is a bit light in the bass department, I think.

Strongly disagree, with the right setup and Zu it goes low plenty.
blink.gif

But of course that does not apply to plasma TV heaphone jack.

Sep 30, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT
Strongly disagree, with the right setup and Zu it goes low plenty.
blink.gif

I don't have the Zu cable (headphile) but mine does bass just fine as well with my home setup. It really does need an amp though, it sounds quite a bit worse directly out of the iPod. Haven't tried it with movies yet though, seems promising though (well amped).

Ant

Sep 30, 2006 at 4:33 AM Post #7 of 11
The K271 gives what I would call an un-opinionated rendering of movie sound. If you are a film student, or of an analytical turn of mind, you'll probably like the way the K271 lets you listen closely to the sound design of a scene: ah, there's the footfall; oh, I see they put a little bit of street noise just outside that window; hey, I can hear the celing fan turning lazily; whoa, the title theme is playing really softly in the background. It's not called the K271 Studio for nothing: it's a high-quality monitoring instrument.

But if you just want to watch and enjoy the darn movie without deconstructing the sound design for film school, you can get more fun for your money with open headphones, and save the cost of an amp. If you don't absolutely need closed headphones (and it sounds like you don't, for this application), then I'd lean towards the Sennheiser HD595 (the current 60-ohm edition). It is a very good-sounding all-around headphone, it's easy to drive, it has some extra oomph in the bass that makes car chases etc. that much more fun, and it's quite comfortable. And (I just have to say it twice) it's just a really good-sounding all-around headphone.

PS: to echo some of the above posts, I too would recommend an amp with the K271. It tends to sound somewhat lifeless unless well amped. It reveals source deficiencies pretty well too -- if the audio electronics in your receiver/DVD player/TV are not exceptionally good, the K271 will make them sound kind of limp and unsatisfying. Whereas with the HD595, fairly ordinary-level electronics still sound very fun and lively.

Sep 30, 2006 at 6:25 AM Post #9 of 11
I just watched two movies on the 271s to see how they'd do and I think episiarch summed it up nicely. My 595 was more enjoyable to get immersed in a movie with, the K271S is more interesting to dissect it. The midranges on both, to varying degrees, are forward which makes dialog stand out well in 2-channel movie watching. If you like booming, subwoofer-like explosions I'm not sure either will be wholly satisfying though. I personally really like the bass on both of them but they don't produce it like a sub in an average HT setup would (thankfully).

Ant

Sep 30, 2006 at 5:06 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster
I disagree with Andrew_WOT, K271s will give you 80% of performance without amp, not bad at all. It is very comfortable to wear for long time.

Well, I honestly never tried without one myself, but based on what others say I assume it's pretty bad.
I wasn't absolutely happy with their comfort either untill replaced stock pads with velour ones. Now it's completely different ball game.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back