AKG 701 boring?
Oct 29, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #31 of 59

Quote:
 Schiit Asgard amps, along with the AKG 701's and the Grado 325is. I also had from before the Grado 80 and Senn 580, and a PA2V2.

monkuboy, didn't schiit asgard made k701 good sounding? if still boring, i think you need a more powered amp than schiit... grados are highly efficient, instant musical but less detailed than k701. The details of k701 is amazing sometimes for me... plus the emotions of the vocals of the singer sometimes moves me. My grado sr60 will also give attachment with the vocals and emotions of the singer but k701 is better..it can shock you sometimes...when the singer breathes...then gives the first note...even the very last note...and the last breath..amazing. My Sr60 can't do this but it has air, airy, vocals that is also sweet sweet to ears, that is sometimes addictive. This is the trait that I want to wear my Sr60. The trait that I want with k701 is the giving away of the emotions..communicating the words lyrics of the song with emotions...but there are times it's really boring...cos i'm just using a very cheap amp...I will be surprised when i use a high powered amp!  

Oct 30, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #32 of 59
Hi guys, thought I´d write a summary. Here are some comments:

"Buy something with a different sound signature. That sounds the simple problem here, you just don't like the sound. Everyone has different tastes."

"It might improve if you paint it fluorescent green"

And these models have been suggested: HD600, HD650, DT880, HD650, SR-325, SR-225, DT880, DT990, SR325is, Grado HF-2 with jumbos, AD900, AD1000PRM, or AD2000. Guess I have some reading to do =)

Coupe asked what kind of music I listen to. Here are a artists + albums:

Band of Horses - Everything All the Time
Beethoven - Piano Sonatas (Nodaira)
Elton John - Elton John (1970)
Essential Bach
Fleetwood Mac
Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova - The Swell Season
Muse - Resistance (2009)
Muse - The Resistance  2009
Pearl Jam - 2009 - Backspacer
Pearl Jam - Ten
System of a Down
Telemann - Concertos for Woodwinds
Tori Amos 1991-2005

What about learning more about EQ and other settings like the Rockbox implementation of crossfeed?

Thanks for all feedback! /Erik

Oct 30, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #33 of 59

Quote:
What about learning more about EQ and other settings like the Rockbox implementation of crossfeed?

Thanks for all feedback! /Erik

IMO, EQ'ing or trying to amp a headphone that you fundamentally dislike would be like buying a truck and trying to turn it into a sports car.  You'd be much better off buying a car that has a frame, and build that is meant for that use.  Not necessarily a Ferrari, but at least a car.  You'll wind up with a sportier car if you soop up a Honda Civic than if you try to soop up a Ford F150.  Or better yet, just get a sports car that is built that way from the ground up.

But unlike fancy car mods, EQ is free, so it doesn't hurt to try.  I'm not into it myself

Oct 30, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #34 of 59
Keep in mind that I have not listened to the brand (more than a few seconds), plus I mostly enjoy trance, but Grado is universally respected as a great destination for rock.

At < $100 SR80i can be a good choice.

I am not certain about the requirements for an amp.

Oct 30, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #35 of 59

Quote:

monkuboy, didn't schiit asgard made k701 good sounding? if still boring, i think you need a more powered amp than schiit... grados are highly efficient, instant musical but less detailed than k701. The details of k701 is amazing sometimes for me... plus the emotions of the vocals of the singer sometimes moves me. My grado sr60 will also give attachment with the vocals and emotions of the singer but k701 is better..it can shock you sometimes...when the singer breathes...then gives the first note...even the very last note...and the last breath..amazing. My Sr60 can't do this but it has air, airy, vocals that is also sweet sweet to ears, that is sometimes addictive. This is the trait that I want to wear my Sr60. The trait that I want with k701 is the giving away of the emotions..communicating the words lyrics of the song with emotions...but there are times it's really boring...cos i'm just using a very cheap amp...I will be surprised when i use a high powered amp!  

Actually the Bellari seems to be a better match for the 701's.  Last night I did more comparing between the 701's and the 325is.  I wouldn't say the 701's are boring but the sound character is just different.  With the Grado's it is like I am right there with the musicians or vocalists, standing in front of their amps (and with the vocalists, it is more like listening to them with amplification, not direct), whereas I am out in the audience with the 701's.  There also seems to be a surprising amount of sibilance with the 701's as opposed to the Grados or my Senns, which makes me think maybe the 701's need breaking in time.  I don't think it is a matter of power as either amp drives them quite loud and seemingly without any strain. I actually hear more details of the type you mentioned with the Grado's because of that up-front midrange - the breathing of the vocalists, the little background noises, etc., and find the emotions come across more effectively. It's kind of like if you eat two different foods, one very spicy and one mild. Even though both may be really tasty, you have to eat the mild one first because eating the spicy one first will overpower the mild one.  That's like how it is listening to the 701's versus the 325is.  Anyway, I want to keep on listening and give everything the proper break in time.

Oct 30, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #37 of 59
Quote:Originally Posted by dcpoor 

"I've never had a problem with sibilance with k701's. If the problem persists after "burn-in" I'd look to the amp or source as the problem."

I've had three of the 701/2s and have found them to be quite amp dependent. Although I haven't tried it with the Asgard, I have found differences between other various amps. Even with slight sibilance.

Nov 13, 2010 at 8:09 AM Post #38 of 59
yep definitely sibilance is should not be an issue, I have my Sony ex700's to bother me with that.  K701 should not be sibilant if amped properly.

Being reveling, yes thats can be an issue.  Don't try and rationalise this as being good - if a headphone makes most of your music sound bad, it is not a good thing!

Being unexciting and thin, yes that can be a problem also.  I also had issues with hearing people couch and move around in concert hall recordings.

Lacking authority and bass quantity?  Again that can be an issue.

I miss a few things from my k701, including the bass quality, insane speed and PRAT, but personally not the soundstage which i feel is a gimmick. (for reference i replaced them with an RS1i)

But the overall package didn't agree with me, and the above qualities can be found in more musical, less objective headphones (albeit more expensive ones)

Nov 23, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #39 of 59
What a shame. I bought the 701 based on raves from high-end mags. Just listened for the first time at home...Wow, this sound is, uh, no fun.

Quote:
I wouldn't buy an amp for a headphone unless you already like it, and just want it to sound better. 

If you don't agree with the basic sound of a headphone, no amount of amps and sources will fix it.  Start with something you like, and upgrade amps/sources/cables if you want to improve it. 

You might want to try an HD600 if you want a very balanced phone.  Really depends on your taste though....

Nov 23, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #40 of 59

Quote:
What a shame. I bought the 701 based on raves from high-end mags. Just listened for the first time at home...Wow, this sound is, uh, no fun.

Quote:
I wouldn't buy an amp for a headphone unless you already like it, and just want it to sound better. 

If you don't agree with the basic sound of a headphone, no amount of amps and sources will fix it.  Start with something you like, and upgrade amps/sources/cables if you want to improve it. 

You might want to try an HD600 if you want a very balanced phone.  Really depends on your taste though....

IMO, AKG701 amped properly and un-amped are two totally different animals. you really need to amped them properly before you can say whether they are for you or not.

Nov 23, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #41 of 59
Amped, K701s are vibrant, engaging, and very musical headphones.  Unamped, they can be pretty flat and boring.  The Matrix M-Stage brought them to life.

Nov 23, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #43 of 59
If I wanted a veil, i'd of went to a convent!  *ducks* 

very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:
Somebody mentioned the HD650's? 

Nov 24, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #44 of 59
Try dampening the drivers a little. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/411268/the-akg-k701-friend-or-foe-mods-that-may-help-others/90

Nov 24, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #45 of 59
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try amplification before giving up on them. Suggestions for a good match that doesn't cost too much? 
k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back