AKG 550, Sennheiser HD598, or AKQ Q701
Jun 27, 2012 at 10:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

AaronAnderson

New Head-Fier

Trying to find a new set of fullsize headphones.

I only have Best Buy as a local resource. They have a ho-hum listening station in the Magnolia Theater section. 

They have the AKG 550 and the Sennheiser HD598. 

Luckily you can plug in your own source device so I brought in my iPhone loaded with some lossless tracks that I am intimately familiar with for listening. (But on the down side, you can't plug the phones directly into anything, so my portable amp is of no help.)

I use a pair of Shure SE215 IEMs while I'm at work. We have some loud-ass people who rub me like sandpaper. They are good for long listening sessions at low volume. As you can see in the graph they have pretty strong low end. I listen to all kinds/genres of music, so looking for something that is better for one thing than another isn't really what I want to do.

Anyway, to the point. I'm looking for something for use at home. I was considering a set of open headphones. It would be nice to have open when at the computer and need to take/make a skype call. It's hard to talk while you've got earplugs in... whatever that is called. I'm sure there's a name for it. 

I really want to try out the HD598; but they only come with a 1/4" plug... I'm all 1/8th. I Wouldn't have a real problem putting my own end on it if I really loved them. 

The AKG550's sounded awesome. I loved everything about them. Except they were closed... Which is not a deal breaker....

I threw the quincy jones cans in there because they're a pretty good price and "partially open" - I dont have a way to listen to them... but what should I expect from semi-open??

Is there anything else out there in the 250-300 dollar range I should check out?

Jun 27, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #2 of 11
Well, I own a pair of Q701's. They have this amazing neutral sound about them. It was what originally drew me to them. And now that I have been listening to all kinds of music over the past couple of weeks, I can say that they are well worth the price. I recommend them to almost everyone. The soundstage is amazing. The only thing they "lack" if you can say it like that, is bass. If you are looking for more bass, go with the K550's. Even though they are closed, they provide excellent sound and excellent bass. The only reason I didn't pick the 550's over the 701's was because I have several pairs of bass heavy headphones, and I just wanted something as clear as possible, and the Q's do not disappoint. It all depends on what you want in a set of headphones. More bass, K550. More overall clarity, and true to the track sound, Q701. Hope this helped.

Jun 27, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #4 of 11
Then the K550's should be a great choice for you. Honestly, they sound pretty amazing considering they are a closed set of headphones. Well worth the money as well.

Jun 27, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Trying to find a new set of fullsize headphones.

I only have Best Buy as a local resource. They have a ho-hum listening station in the Magnolia Theater section. 

They have the AKG 550 and the Sennheiser HD598. 

Luckily you can plug in your own source device so I brought in my iPhone loaded with some lossless tracks that I am intimately familiar with for listening. (But on the down side, you can't plug the phones directly into anything, so my portable amp is of no help.)

I use a pair of Shure SE215 IEMs while I'm at work. We have some loud-ass people who rub me like sandpaper. They are good for long listening sessions at low volume. As you can see in the graph they have pretty strong low end. I listen to all kinds/genres of music, so looking for something that is better for one thing than another isn't really what I want to do.

Anyway, to the point. I'm looking for something for use at home. I was considering a set of open headphones. It would be nice to have open when at the computer and need to take/make a skype call. It's hard to talk while you've got earplugs in... whatever that is called. I'm sure there's a name for it. 

I really want to try out the HD598; but they only come with a 1/4" plug... I'm all 1/8th. I Wouldn't have a real problem putting my own end on it if I really loved them. 

The AKG550's sounded awesome. I loved everything about them. Except they were closed... Which is not a deal breaker....

I threw the quincy jones cans in there because they're a pretty good price and "partially open" - I dont have a way to listen to them... but what should I expect from semi-open??

Is there anything else out there in the 250-300 dollar range I should check out?

How did the K550s fit your head ? were they lose fitting, did you get a good seal ?, just asking cause i had them and had a lousy fit, if they fit you well there a great headphone.

Jun 30, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
They come with one that costs no cents. It also results in a huge bulky connected that's just going to break/bend components. 

pro tip: HD598 has removable cable so it is easy to diy a more suitable one if you like, unlike the k550

also beware k550 has fitting problems and are closed and hd598 lack bass without proper amplification 

also check this review for the k550
http://www.head-fi.org/t/610298/akg-k550-review/30

Jun 30, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #10 of 11
I gave the 550 a second shot today. I really like them. I listened to all of the music that was built into the display and everything sounded great. Stuff from my ipod/e7 still sounded kind of harsh; but that could have just been them dicking with the inputs. Again, nobody around to pull the headset out. 

I still want to check out a pair of Beyer DT770 250ohm's 

Jun 30, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
I gave the 550 a second shot today. I really like them. I listened to all of the music that was built into the display and everything sounded great. Stuff from my ipod/e7 still sounded kind of harsh; but that could have just been them dicking with the inputs. Again, nobody around to pull the headset out. 

I still want to check out a pair of Beyer DT770 250ohm's 

The premium line is discontinued, so you'd have to find one used(there's one on ebay right now). I used to have the 550 and currently have the q701. I prefer the 701 because I prefer open, but I'd say the 550 is more balanced. The 598 mids I preferred to the 701, but had less clarity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back