Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K 550tagged by System, 6/9/12
- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 6/9/12
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by System, 6/9/12
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 6/9/12
- productFiiO E7 USB DAC and Portable Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 6/9/12
- productSennheiser HD 558tagged by System, 6/9/12
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 6/9/12
- productShure SRH840tagged by System, 6/9/12
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- first timer Last post on 10/20/12 at 11:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Looking for new headphones Last post on 3/26/13 at 4:06am in Headphones (full-size)
- Help me choosing Last post on 12/1/13 at 11:15am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 11/28/14
My Amazon Review: I've owned many pieces of high end home audio over the years. Brands like Dali, Audio Research, Krell, Melos, and others. I expect a lot from my gear. In this case, one of the...
About me: I am not an audiology, sound expert or anything professional about audio of short. I am simply just a consumer with a lot of love for musics for years....I purchased this pair, and Would...
Before the Lyr 2 I owned two hybrid headphone amplifiers: the Hifiman EF2A, and the Maverick Audio A1. What both those entry level amplifiers lacked was the power and sonic dynamics to drive my...
I've spent about a month with Cayin N6 DAP, and I'd like to share my thoughts about it. There is few really great reviews of this DAP, so I won't repeat them again, describing it's box,...
I bought this in october. I agree with other reviewers, the sound is definitely value for money you can read other reviews for that. However, the build quality is terrible. I took good...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
AKG K550 Review. - Page 3
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I am struggling to find a closed headphone that is as good and comfortable as my DT990pros. These are definitely on the list with the D2000 I am just worried about the bass extension on them. On the D2000 only thing holding me back is the isolation. I need that cause my partner and brother are stupidly loud as soon as I put on my headphones to escape for an hour.
The T70 is the only other headphone that has me curious as well. Mainly cause I want a soundstage close to my DT990.
These do isolate pretty well, great soundstage, i thought the bass what tight, nice sounding, but its by no means a bass head set. There the best set of the 3 i have owned as far as sound goes, pretty comfortable to.
I do listen to dubstep/DnB but I also listen a lot of acoustic,pop,rock. That is why I asked about extension. I don't really want them to punch me in the ear drum. :)
I might just wait for the new Denon lines and look around at that time. Still debating the K550.
just wanted to ask some of the 701 fans out there, how are the k550 compared to them in terms of soundstage?
i was about to pull the trigger on the 701's for their reputable soundstage but since ive been a lot of good reviews on
the k550 its kinda a tough option now, not forgetting that the k550's can be more easily driven.
I own the Q701s, i did own the K550s, the soundstage on the Q701 is better. I have listened to both sets for several days, and in my opinion and what my ears hear and my taste, i think the K550s sound better. Its amazing how they sound for a closed back set, i think the Q701s have a tiny bit more bass, but not much. I prefer the mids and uppers on the K550s, im acually probally getting rid of my Q701s and going to get back the K550s.
Yes the K550s drive much much easier, the Q701s take a good amp to get the most out of them.
Edited by Soundfreak33 - 6/30/12 at 1:43pm
thanks for the feedback, and what amps have you used with the k550's? Is there a notible difference if you drive them from a e17 rather than something like asgard, matrix m stage or any other dedicated ss amp?
Actually K550 has better bass extension than D2000 or K701. D2000 has bigger midbass quantity.
Though K550 easier to drive than K701, but K550 is easily can reveal your set-up, so yes, there'll be noticeable different going from E17 to somewhat like Asgard or higher end desktop amp.
Has anyone had a chance to use the K550s for gaming and movies? I am interested in using a new set for 40% gaming, 20% movies, and 40% music. Everything is subject to change, so would these be a set to consider for an all-purpose headphone?
I was just about to pull the trigger on these. (Have sitting in a cart at Headphone bar) Now I have slammed on the brakes.
What is problem with them in movies with Dolby Headphone turned off or on?
- AKG K550 Review.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Three Word Story 29 seconds ago
- › Searching for a Amp at around 100$ 1 minute ago
- › The Tera player thread.Philips R2R DAC ( impressions, opinions,... 2 minutes ago
- › Need AMP+DAC recommendations for my newly purchased "DT990 Premium... 3 minutes ago
- › Headamp Pico Power Black 3 minutes ago
- › Resonnessence Herus 4 minutes ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 6 minutes ago
- › Resonnessence Herus 6 minutes ago
- › "The Lab" 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 9 minutes ago
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1+ Bluethooth Wireless Headphones by Deckardk
- › JVC KENWOOD In-Ear Headphones HA-FX750 by Whitigir
- › Schiit Lyr 2 by bpandbass
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by cleg
- › OSTRY KC06A Hi-Fi In-Ear High Performance Earphones Headphones by xsuper
- › Brainwavz Delta by vaziyetu
- › JVC Kenwood Victer Stereo Headphones Ha-sz1000 by Hawaiibadboy
- › MEElectronics M9 Classic Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones by pformagg
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H8 by Giogio
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-WS99BT Solid Bass Bluetooth Headphones by Giogio
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2