Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K 550tagged by System, 6/9/12
- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 6/9/12
- productAKG K 701 Whitetagged by System, 6/9/12
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by System, 6/9/12
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 6/9/12
- productFiiO E7 USB DAC and Portable Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 6/9/12
- productSennheiser HD-558tagged by System, 6/9/12
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 6/9/12
- productShure SRH840tagged by System, 6/9/12
Related Forum Threads
- first timer Last post on 10/20/12 at 11:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- starting my headphone journey and need some advice on which headphones to get Last post on 9/25/11 at 1:41pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Looking for new headphones Last post on 3/26/13 at 4:06am in Headphones (full-size)
- Help me choosing Last post on 12/1/13 at 11:15am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 8/29/14
I love these. I have BeatsPro, Monster Inspiration and these blow them away! They are super comfortable and I can hear the nuances of all sounds.
These are my go-to set of headphones and I could have them on for 4-5h without fatigue or discomfort. I love the sound signature but understand it's not for everyone. Highs: Clean, detailed,...
Having a V-Moda Crossfade LP2 for a while now and very impressed with its sound quality and comfort as closed-back headphones, I was looking for a set of open-backs for certain genres of music that...
As a budget closed-back set of headphones, I think they are not bad. The treble is rolled off quite a bit, which is not great in regard to clarity, but good in reducing fatigue on long sessions....
Best sound i ever heard from closed-up portables. I tried: koss porta, senheiser momentum, senheiser hd 25, ath es700, ath or7 and others i dont remember and some number of earphones and few gaming...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
AKG K550 Review. - Page 3
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I am struggling to find a closed headphone that is as good and comfortable as my DT990pros. These are definitely on the list with the D2000 I am just worried about the bass extension on them. On the D2000 only thing holding me back is the isolation. I need that cause my partner and brother are stupidly loud as soon as I put on my headphones to escape for an hour.
The T70 is the only other headphone that has me curious as well. Mainly cause I want a soundstage close to my DT990.
These do isolate pretty well, great soundstage, i thought the bass what tight, nice sounding, but its by no means a bass head set. There the best set of the 3 i have owned as far as sound goes, pretty comfortable to.
I do listen to dubstep/DnB but I also listen a lot of acoustic,pop,rock. That is why I asked about extension. I don't really want them to punch me in the ear drum. :)
I might just wait for the new Denon lines and look around at that time. Still debating the K550.
just wanted to ask some of the 701 fans out there, how are the k550 compared to them in terms of soundstage?
i was about to pull the trigger on the 701's for their reputable soundstage but since ive been a lot of good reviews on
the k550 its kinda a tough option now, not forgetting that the k550's can be more easily driven.
I own the Q701s, i did own the K550s, the soundstage on the Q701 is better. I have listened to both sets for several days, and in my opinion and what my ears hear and my taste, i think the K550s sound better. Its amazing how they sound for a closed back set, i think the Q701s have a tiny bit more bass, but not much. I prefer the mids and uppers on the K550s, im acually probally getting rid of my Q701s and going to get back the K550s.
Yes the K550s drive much much easier, the Q701s take a good amp to get the most out of them.
Edited by Soundfreak33 - 6/30/12 at 1:43pm
thanks for the feedback, and what amps have you used with the k550's? Is there a notible difference if you drive them from a e17 rather than something like asgard, matrix m stage or any other dedicated ss amp?
Actually K550 has better bass extension than D2000 or K701. D2000 has bigger midbass quantity.
Though K550 easier to drive than K701, but K550 is easily can reveal your set-up, so yes, there'll be noticeable different going from E17 to somewhat like Asgard or higher end desktop amp.
Has anyone had a chance to use the K550s for gaming and movies? I am interested in using a new set for 40% gaming, 20% movies, and 40% music. Everything is subject to change, so would these be a set to consider for an all-purpose headphone?
I was just about to pull the trigger on these. (Have sitting in a cart at Headphone bar) Now I have slammed on the brakes.
What is problem with them in movies with Dolby Headphone turned off or on?
- AKG K550 Review.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Liquid Gold - 2014 3 seconds ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable... 12 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 19 seconds ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 1 minute ago
- › 1964 Ears (The Appreciation Thread) 2 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › The new IEM of Vsonic VSD 3S ( impression updated by smailbz) 2 minutes ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 3 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by alexau123
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by jehovahluvsme
- › V-MODA LP2 by M-Techn1k
- › Audio-technica AIR Dynamic Headphones Ath-ad900x by M-Techn1k
- › Sony MDR-XD200 Stereo Headphones by M-Techn1k
- › Audio-Technica ATH-ES10 EarSuit Headphones by vincik
- › Sony Walkman NWZ-A10 by vincik
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Frank I
- › Viva Egoista Amplifier by Frank I
- › Beyerdynamic DTX 102 iE In-Ear Headphones (Silver) by MenacingTuba
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)