AK380 Amp Impressions and discussions
Dec 27, 2016 at 6:22 AM Post #61 of 74
ok i an see, am I the only person to possess the AK380 AMP here ?
i will return the unit to amazon and request for change 

Dec 27, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #62 of 74
  i have connected the charge cable to my AK380 AMP, at the charging light is on, and it charge but when I check it is like if it doesn't enter fully (see picture)
is that normal ? is yours exactly like that ? I want the opinion of many owners to be sure, and decide if I have to keep the unit or return it for change.

It is normal as such.

Dec 27, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #64 of 74
It's ok now! when you get the confirmation from more than one person, in more than two thread : the answer may be considered as definitively ok and fine. I'm ensured now. 
you know what ? I asked the question to AK support service, and they read me and took 4 days to answer me that the connexion is ok.... so I can say that I was right to ask; as they themselves hesitated before replying me. I think they know that it may be a default of conception concerning all the AK380 amp ...

Jan 8, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #65 of 74
Hello,

Is it possible to use Google Pixel Phone and AK380 as a DAC? I understand I need an OTG USB-C>microUSB cable but I am not sure if it works. 

Thank you & best regards,

Igor

Jun 9, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #67 of 74
Probably not the right thread for that question haha but I think for your LCD3 I would look at Audeze Deckard. If you don't mind spending a little more.. One of the best sounding and most powerful solid state amps I have ever heard is the Wells Audio Milo. Amazing little unique amplifier that stands vertical not horizontal. Powers my LCD4 with room to spare and is the best combo I have found.

I ended up with the AK380 AMP...not impressed at all. The pure AK380 sounds perfect and effortless on LCD3's as is. The AK380 AMP diminishes quality and increases fatigue especially on hi gain.

Nov 20, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #68 of 74
Looks as though this forum has died, but just in case!

From reading the posts here and elsewhere there seems to be no consensus as to whether the AK380 amp is a worthwhile addition to the AK300. It either only adds volume, or it improves SQ and widens soundstage!
Is balanced output in particular improved or not? My phones are easily driven (around 30ohm) but I still need 120 - 130 for adequate volume.

I believe the AK380 Amp is discontinued and I have the opportunity to buy at £350 (rrp in the UK is £499). Worthwhile or not?

Any advice much appreciated.

Nov 21, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #69 of 74
It certainly adds volume, which is nice for headphones.
Regarding SQ, differences are subtle at best (tighter bass at the expense of less treble extension), but this is with an AK380.
Soundstage is definitely not improved at all, even with the balanced output.

I got mine at 350£ as well, this is a good price.
Be careful to test both outputs when you receive it if it's not a new unit, because the first amp I got from UK Amazon Warehouse had a dead balanced output, so I had to send it back, and I'm pretty sure they put it back on sale right away after they received it.

Nov 21, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #70 of 74
Hi

Many thanks for your comments. They confirm what little is out there re 380 vs 380 plus 380 amp. In the AK300 forum there are a couple of positive comments re 300 vs 300 plus 380 amp. Maybe the 380 has a more powerful amp section? The 300 doesn’t really shine here. I doubt that single DAC vs twin DAC would have any influence.

The 380 amp I have my eye on is from an Amazon trader so I don’t think it is the one you returned - I hope!

Jul 12, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #74 of 74
Tests and on-line comparison services

Astell&Kern AK380 AMP

Headphone AMPs (or as a headphone amplifiers)
Simple test reports for "dummies":
Balanced Hi
Balanced Norm
Unbalanced Hi
Unbalanced Norm
Профессиональные отчеты:
Balanced Hi
Balanced Norm
Unbalanced Hi
Unbalanced Norm

On-line comparison services with Astell&Kern AK380 AMP
Comparison of change the frequency response of joint work of Astell&Kern AK380 AMP with different headphones
Comparison of amplifier voltage and headphone sensitivity for optimal sound playing
Comparison of voltage graphs

Comparison of characteristics:
Balanced Hi
Balanced Norm
Unbalanced Hi
Unbalanced Norm

Volume comparison:
Balanced Hi
Balanced Norm
Unbalanced Hi
Unbalanced Norm

Amplifier tested with AK300

About of default amplifier of players AK300/320
Till now only were tested AK300 and AK320 DAPs in the Reference Audio Analyzer. The power of AK300 and AK320 amplifying part are near the same.

canvas.png

This grapth in on-line service

On the graph horizontal upper scale indicates the impedances of the headphones in ohms, which are connected to the amplifier. The right vertical scale indicates the voltage in decibels (dBV).

If we compare AMPs in maximum mode (before the clipping zone of signal), we can see that the maximum voltage value is 6 dBV in the balanced and unbalanced mode.

The AK320 have about 7 dBV in maximum mode, and the AK300 have slightly less than 6 dBV. The difference in loudness is 1 dB. It is possible that from one sample to another sample players can be a little quieter or little louder. The level for current is similarly higher for AK320 by 1-2 dB depending on the mode.

The maximum output current in the balanced mode is lower. The difference in current between the balanced and unbalanced mode is 6 dB. That means two times less current level in balanced mode. The reason of the limit is in the total current consumption by amplifier. An amplifier consumes current regardless of whether it play a sound or not. In the balanced mode the number of operating amplifiers doubles. So if the player will not limitat the current, the operating time of the player can be significantly reduced which cause complaints from the user.

The ideal case is to have option in player to turn off the limit by current. The player's owner must have notice that player about reduced of player working time.

In this case, the balanced output for the low-impedance load is less powerful. When you switch to the balanced output it is possible to hear a "wheeze" that was absent at the unbalanced output on the same level of loudness.

The balanced output recommended be used with high-sensitivity IEM headphones.

canvas2.png

If we look at the graphs in the maximum quality mode (in equivalent class A), then for AK300, the maximum voltage level in the balanced mode is slightly reduced due to the simpler implementation of the DAC.

The output current in the balanced mode is lower than in the unbalanced mode. The difference is 10 dB.

What changes when connecting AK380 AMP?
Unbalanced mode
canvas3.png

The amplifier has two modes of gain: Normal and Hi.

In the normal mode, the parameters and capabilities are the same as the AK300 / AK320 standard (internal) amplifiers. In the Hi mode, the voltage is more on 3.5 dB, and the output current is the same level. So, this mode will be useful primarily for high-impedance headphones or listening to quiet recordings. If, for example, low-impedance headphones are not played well from a default amplifier AK300/320, the AK380 AMP will not improve sound.

Balanced Mode

canvas4.png

In the balanced mode, according to the criteria of equivalent class A in Norm mode, the voltage level is comparable with AK300 due to the characters of the spectra with the DAC from AK300. If the AK380 AMP was tested with AK320, then the voltage level would be higher. Thus, the Norm mode repeats the default amplifier. As opposed unbalanced amplifier in balanced amplifier output current is more on 4-6 dB. And, if we consider the criterion of the equivalent class AB, the limitation is shifted additionally on 8 dB. This is a good boost for low-impedance headphones with medium and low sensitivity.

In the Hi mode, the voltage level becomes a highest for portable players, almost to 15 dBV. The manufacturer wrote is 18 dBV (8 VRMS) in the specifications. But in practice, above 15 dBV at the amplifier output the signal begins clipping. An additional 3 dB is worth considering as an additional pre-amplification for quiet music, as adding the volume before a DAC.

15 dBV is a high value not only by the standards of portable devices, but also by stationary amplifiers. The only downside to this gain can be audible background noise when using high-sensitivity headphones. Fortunately, switching Hi / Norm hardware and in Norm mode background noise is quieter.

In addition to the voltage in this mode, the output current also increases by 6 dB! In standard player amplifiers, it was different.

Сonclusion
Thus the additional amplifier Astell & Kern AK380 AMP is mostly demand for balanced over-ear headphones with low-sensitivity.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back