AK380 Amp Impressions and discussions
Sep 25, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #46 of 74
A friend of mine picked up a meteoric titan amp a couple days back after listening to my AK380cu + cu amp combo. So I got to look at and play around with the amp yesterday and unlike the copper amp, I am surprised this isn't even made of duralumin like the AK380. Personally, I felt for the price tag it carries and for uniformity sake, the least AK should have done was use duralumin to build the amp so it looks and feel exactly like the AK380. Don't now what made AK decide not to use duralumin for the amp but I sure as hell hope it isn't cost. I'd like to think people who purchased the AK380 would rather pay a little more for uniformity. I know I would. After all, the copper amp doesn't cost that much more and I would think AK could have made a duralumin amp for a bit less money and people would still buy it.

Not really ranting, just wanted to get some thoughts is all because all along I had the impression the amp was duralumin until I saw the actual unit yesterday so was a bit surprised...fortunately for me, AK made a copper amp to go with the AK380cu otherwise, I would really be ranting if there was no copper option...for which I would very likely just buy a different amp altogether.

Cheers and have a great weekend folks! 

Oct 30, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #47 of 74
Dillon, you have to understand if you buy the amp the combo will become a transportable unit at best if not a desktop unit. If you are using only iems/ciem you really do not need the amp. The spec is listed on the product page at AK. I am going to RW mod my 380cu and I will have the best sound a dap can produce. The 380/320 should be able to drive most portable phones fine. If I want an amp to drive bigger phones like HD800/s, Audeze line, and others, it won't be the AK amp.

Jalo, not sure if you have listened to this combo, but I am currently enjoying the hell out of my Audeze LCD3's with the AK380 as is.  It is effortless and I am not sure I want to mess with perfection.  
But what the heck...if I were to amp this combo as you mentioned, and I realize there are different tastes, what technically are a couple of good amps to pair?  Open question to all.
Looking at OPPO HA1 and Audeze Deckard.  

I was tempted to do the AK amp...but not sure I see the benefit.  When I travel I use my IEMs anyway so no additional travel power needed.
Thank you,
-N8

Oct 31, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #48 of 74
Jalo, not sure if you have listened to this combo, but I am currently enjoying the hell out of my Audeze LCD3's with the AK380 as is.  It is effortless and I am not sure I want to mess with perfection.  
But what the heck...if I were to amp this combo as you mentioned, and I realize there are different tastes, what technically are a couple of good amps to pair?  Open question to all.
Looking at OPPO HA1 and Audeze Deckard.  

I was tempted to do the AK amp...but not sure I see the benefit.  When I travel I use my IEMs anyway so no additional travel power needed.
Thank you,
-N8

Probably not the right thread for that question haha but I think for your LCD3 I would look at Audeze Deckard. If you don't mind spending a little more.. One of the best sounding and most powerful solid state amps I have ever heard is the Wells Audio Milo. Amazing little unique amplifier that stands vertical not horizontal. Powers my LCD4 with room to spare and is the best combo I have found.

Oct 31, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #49 of 74
I don´t know what people complain about. For me, the AK380 amp leaves no wishes unfulfilled. I love the sq, and I don´t have to mess around with rubber bands.....

Oct 31, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #50 of 74
Probably not the right thread for that question haha but I think for your LCD3 I would look at Audeze Deckard. If you don't mind spending a little more.. One of the best sounding and most powerful solid state amps I have ever heard is the Wells Audio Milo. Amazing little unique amplifier that stands vertical not horizontal. Powers my LCD4 with room to spare and is the best combo I have found.

Thank you for that...so no AUDEZE King for your LCD4s?  

Oct 31, 2016 at 2:35 AM Post #51 of 74
  I don´t know what people complain about. For me, the AK380 amp leaves no wishes unfulfilled. I love the sq, and I don´t have to mess around with rubber bands.....

Personally, there are a couple of niggles with the AK Amp that I can't get quite accept. The first one being hiss. It's pitch black quiet if nothing is playing but hook up a pair of more sensitive IEMs, play a track with a quiet passage and the hiss becomes apparent. No hiss playing the same track with the same IEM directly out of the AK380. This hiss is apparent in both regular and copper version of the amp.

The second issue is there is no way to override the auto shut off feature on the amp. I don't like the idea of having to turn the amp on every time after it goes off from not detecting a signal after a pre-determined period of time. Amps generally perform at their best when they are consistently running. AK's rational of saving battery juice is not justifiable to me. Think about it, the AK380 will always run out of juice way before the amp does and it doesn't help when the amp shuts down to save battery. I find having to regularly charge the combo when the amp still has 45 - 55% of juice. I don't want to crucify the power saver feature but the least AK could have done was to allow the user to control if they want the power saving feature enabled or not.

Because of this, my amp now stays in the box most of the time. But I wholeheartedly agree with you Haiku, that I like the uniformity of the combo and not having to deal with bands has been a real treat. If AK had given a little more thought into implementation, then the amp would have been end game for me. Also, performance wise, to be fair, a Vorzuge Pure II outperforms it for less money. It's also quieter and never shuts off on its own...unless it completely runs out of juice of course 
biggrin.gif

Oct 31, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #52 of 74

Personally, there are a couple of niggles with the AK Amp that I can't get quite accept. The first one being hiss. It's pitch black quiet if nothing is playing but hook up a pair of more sensitive IEMs, play a track with a quiet passage and the hiss becomes apparent. No hiss playing the same track with the same IEM directly out of the AK380. This hiss is apparent in both regular and copper version of the amp.

The second issue is there is no way to override the auto shut off feature on the amp. I don't like the idea of having to turn the amp on every time after it goes off from not detecting a signal after a pre-determined period of time. Amps generally perform at their best when they are consistently running. AK's rational of saving battery juice is not justifiable to me. Think about it, the AK380 will always run out of juice way before the amp does and it doesn't help when the amp shuts down to save battery. I find having to regularly charge the combo when the amp still has 45 - 55% of juice. I don't want to crucify the power saver feature but the least AK could have done was to allow the user to control if they want the power saving feature enabled or not.

Because of this, my amp now stays in the box most of the time. But I wholeheartedly agree with you Haiku, that I like the uniformity of the combo and not having to deal with bands has been a real treat. If AK had given a little more thought into implementation, then the amp would have been end game for me. Also, performance wise, to be fair, a Vorzuge Pure II outperforms it for less money. It's also quieter and never shuts off on its own...unless it completely runs out of juice of course 
biggrin.gif

Outperfoms it in what way? And also, I don´t think AK wouldn´t have called it "AK380 amp" if it wouldn´t perform on the totl level when it comes to SQ. 
wink.gif

Oct 31, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #53 of 74

Outperfoms it in what way? And also, I don´t think AK wouldn´t have called it "AK380 amp" if it wouldn´t perform on the totl level when it comes to SQ. 
wink.gif

Driving authority and implementation. Having tried sensitive IEMs to power hungry cans like the LCD-3 and HD650 on both amps, personally I always end up preferring the sound of the Vorzuge, Let's be fair, just because AK calls it AK380 amp, that doesn't qualify it as an amp with TOTL SQ. But I understand SQ itself very subjective and different people have different expectations when it comes to what TOTL / Reference should be. I don't want to sound like I am bashing the amp - I own one too and I am just subjectively stating that for the money, there are certainly better amps that can be had...if one is willing to put up with a non-uniformed look and the use of bands.

Oct 31, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #54 of 74

wink.gif

Actually, its far from the idea of a TOTL product when you consider its design. Firstly, half of the amp's weight is supported by that single screw, and the rest on the microUSB plug which doestn exactly inspire confidence. Its as if AK was trying to give you a reason to buy the dignis player+amp case, to provide an additional support to the entire stack. 

Secondly, the sound quality issues (and hiss), are very real problems that some of us do face when using the amp. I used to own a ak380+amp combi, and having sold that stack off and moved to the copper, I have no intention of getting the AK amp again. Sound quality wise, there are several stand alone amps that not only cost less, but sound significantly better. Take the kojo KM01 amp, or the analog square paper amps for example. Just in terms of resolution and focus of sound in its articulation, those amps already have the ak amp (both normal and copper version) beat.

I also recognize that owning said products, does lead to one having a certain amount of pride in its performance. But to say that its 'totl' is a rather claustrophobic view. There is a reason why a large number of 380 owners stop a the player as a source, but stick to traditional interconnects and amps to pair with their headphones/iems. 

in short, as an all in one integrated package for those who dont really wish to spend too much effort searching for their holy grail amp, the amp does a pretty decent job, but that's about it. Its SQ, is far from TOTL if you consider what the other portable amps in the market has to offer. 

Oct 31, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #55 of 74
  Thank you for that...so no AUDEZE King for your LCD4s?  

King is made for LCD4 and most likely sounds the best.. But I have many headphones and didn't want to spend the money on the king for just one of my headphones.. I got a couple (ampsandsounds LeeLoo for tube and wells audio Milo for solid state) that sounds amazing with my Audeze AND my other headphones such as grado and sennheiser.

Nov 4, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #56 of 74

Actually, its far from the idea of a TOTL product when you consider its design. Firstly, half of the amp's weight is supported by that single screw, and the rest on the microUSB plug which doestn exactly inspire confidence. Its as if AK was trying to give you a reason to buy the dignis player+amp case, to provide an additional support to the entire stack. 

Secondly, the sound quality issues (and hiss), are very real problems that some of us do face when using the amp. I used to own a ak380+amp combi, and having sold that stack off and moved to the copper, I have no intention of getting the AK amp again. Sound quality wise, there are several stand alone amps that not only cost less, but sound significantly better. Take the kojo KM01 amp, or the analog square paper amps for example. Just in terms of resolution and focus of sound in its articulation, those amps already have the ak amp (both normal and copper version) beat.

I also recognize that owning said products, does lead to one having a certain amount of pride in its performance. But to say that its 'totl' is a rather claustrophobic view. There is a reason why a large number of 380 owners stop a the player as a source, but stick to traditional interconnects and amps to pair with their headphones/iems. 

in short, as an all in one integrated package for those who dont really wish to spend too much effort searching for their holy grail amp, the amp does a pretty decent job, but that's about it. Its SQ, is far from TOTL if you consider what the other portable amps in the market has to offer. 

Had a little chat with Drew from Moon Audio. He said that the longer battery life, ease of use and better portability of the AK380amp easily outweigh the quote "subtle improvements in SQ" of the Vorzuge.....

Nov 4, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #57 of 74

Had a little chat with Drew from Moon Audio. He said that the longer battery life, ease of use and better portability of the AK380amp easily outweigh the quote "subtle improvements in SQ" of the Vorzuge.....

The only thing the AK Amp has over the Vorzuge (Pure II in this case) is the unified portability and this is due to the design itself since there is no need for a separate interconnect and the use of bands.

The difference in SQ is anything but subtle. There hasn't been one single time, regardless of the music where I've ended up preferring the sound of the AK Amp over the Vorzuge. But SQ, as I mentioned, is very subjective so to each his own. If you do get the chance, I truly recommend you try listening to the Vorzuge Pure II or the newer Pure II+. I honestly believe you will be in for a pleasant surprise. 

Ease of use - I don't know what we're basing this on but really, how hard can it be to flip the power switch on the Vorzuge and you know it always stays on unlike the AK amp with its auto-power off function that you can't override. It's frustrating every time I leave the combo for a while only to come back to it and find that the AK Amp has already powered off. And it isn't entirely reliable too - I've intermittently experienced the AK380 not detecting the AK Amp and I've had to physically detach and reattach it - and no, I'm not the only one facing this problem.

Battery life, the Vorzuge delivers anywhere between 10 and 11 hours so I cannot see how the AK Amp has better battery life. I'd even give this to the Vorzuge because I can charge it only when it really needs charging. With the AK Amp, I've often had to charge it up when it still has anywhere between 40% - 50% of battery life remaining because the AK380 is down to less than 10%. Unless I detach it and charge it separately but what's the point in doing that? Additionally, I can easily order a spare battery for the Vorzuge and replace it real easy peasy in case the existing one goes bad.

Last but not least, unlike the AK Amp, I can use the Vorzuge as an amp for just about any given source.

Let's be clear that I am not in any way trying to belittle you nor make you jump ship by bashing the AK Amp. You love it for what it does, how it looks and sounds, I get it and that's great! From one owner to another, honestly I'm very happy for you but for me, the AK Amp falls short of expectations and as much as we take pride in owning AK's flagship amp, we must not forget that there are better options that can be had for the same amount of money...at times, less even.

Anyway, no hard feelings and I apologize if you think I came on too strongly in any way. Perhaps I'm letting my frustrations with the AK Amp show a little too much. 

Nov 4, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #58 of 74

The only thing the AK Amp has over the Vorzuge (Pure II in this case) is the unified portability and this is due to the design itself since there is no need for a separate interconnect and the use of bands.

The difference in SQ is anything but subtle. There hasn't been one single time, regardless of the music where I've ended up preferring the sound of the AK Amp over the Vorzuge. But SQ, as I mentioned, is very subjective so to each his own. If you do get the chance, I truly recommend you try listening to the Vorzuge Pure II or the newer Pure II+. I honestly believe you will be in for a pleasant surprise. 

Ease of use - I don't know what we're basing this on but really, how hard can it be to flip the power switch on the Vorzuge and you know it always stays on unlike the AK amp with its auto-power off function that you can't override. It's frustrating every time I leave the combo for a while only to come back to it and find that the AK Amp has already powered off. And it isn't entirely reliable too - I've intermittently experienced the AK380 not detecting the AK Amp and I've had to physically detach and reattach it - and no, I'm not the only one facing this problem.

Battery life, the Vorzuge delivers anywhere between 10 and 11 hours so I cannot see how the AK Amp has better battery life. I'd even give this to the Vorzuge because I can charge it only when it really needs charging. With the AK Amp, I've often had to charge it up when it still has anywhere between 40% - 50% of battery life remaining because the AK380 is down to less than 10%. Unless I detach it and charge it separately but what's the point in doing that? Additionally, I can easily order a spare battery for the Vorzuge and replace it real easy peasy in case the existing one goes bad.

Last but not least, unlike the AK Amp, I can use the Vorzuge as an amp for just about any given source.

Let's be clear that I am not in any way trying to belittle you nor make you jump ship by bashing the AK Amp. You love it for what it does, how it looks and sounds, I get it and that's great! From one owner to another, honestly I'm very happy for you but for me, the AK Amp falls short of expectations and as much as we take pride in owning AK's flagship amp, we must not forget that there are better options that can be had for the same amount of money...at times, less even.

Anyway, no hard feelings and I apologize if you think I came on too strongly in any way. Perhaps I'm letting my frustrations with the AK Amp show a little too much. 

No apologies necessary, you don´t like the amp and that´s ok with me. I´ve only posted the statement from Drew, because I´ve been accused of having a "claustrophobic view", and you certainly can´t say that about Drew Baird.
I will also listen to the Vorzuge amp, if I get the chance!  
wink.gif

Nov 4, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #59 of 74

No apologies necessary, you don´t like the amp and that´s ok with me. I´ve only posted the statement from Drew, because I´ve been accused of having a "claustrophobic view", and you certainly can´t say that about Drew Baird.
I will also listen to the Vorzuge amp, if I get the chance!  
wink.gif

Firstly, its rather hard to not take Drew's words with a pinch of salt, given that he is kind of in the business, and there is rather little incentive for him to put you off a potential purchase, especially when there is nothing expressedly 'wrong' with it. You already seem pretty keen on the integrated amp idea, why put you off it? The problem, however,  is that it is a less than optimal decision, especially when your decision to spend close to 4grand on a player indicates a demand for a certain standard of sonic performance, which the AK amp does not deliver as well as other portable stackable amps of similar size factor.  

I've never heard the Vorzuge amp myself to be honest, but I daresay that the insinuated idea of separated amps in the markets (analog square paper, kojo brass, ALO CV5, CDM, RSA) being only 'subtly' better than the 380amp is a highly questionable statement. Granted, Drew may not be saying this, since your question seems specific to the Vorzuge amp. But the portable audio world isnt limited to a single Vorzuge amp, which I believe that Drew would have pointed as part of a balanced response one would give when asked to weigh the AK amp to other stackable amp systems. 

My main gripes with the Ak amp, are that it is too weak to power hungry headphones (take electrostatic phones for example) when compared to a some portable amps (even the cheap eleckit HP02), and that it is structurally weak (using the micro USB to bear weight makes structural sense to me), and it adds too little performance gain when compared to even some entry level dedicated amps (ALO RX nickle for instance). 

As for the longer battery life, you are looking at 1-2 hours at most, because you aren't taxing the AK amp circuit. The AK amp does NOT provide power to the player, contrary to popular beliefs. If Ak did one thing right with the amp, is that the amp runs its own dedicated power circuit which maintains a clean power which can only benefit the amp's sonic output. Hence, what benefits you will see is limited to just the fact that the player's amp circuit does not have to power your phones. I've used the 380+amp for a month, and I've left it playing continuously for periods of time to run stuff in, so I do know how long it can last, both with and without the amp.  

However, said advantages are far outweighed by the inherent design of the 4pins that feeds analog signal to the amp. If you have ever taken the player apart, you will note that the 4 pins are connected to the DAC circuit by ribbon wires. Think of it this way, your source signal, is fed to and amplified by the AK amp, by potato ribbon wires used in mainstream electrical appliances. Hardly confidence inspiring, and the reason why most modders target that first. 

Heck, while we're on the topic of modding, did you also know that the amp has lots of modding potential simply because of all the corners cut in it, because we find that Ak uses even more ribbon cables in the amp section. Plus, the amp runs a digital circuitry to control the sound output, which isnt as clean as a resistor based volume knob. Heck, some amps even forgo the whole volume control idea and simply amp the input based on pre-fixed gain settings, and rely on the source to control the volume (since the AK line-out mode isnt a true line-out to begin with). The more bells and whistles you add in, the more you compromise the sound (yes, that nice flashing blue light when the amp is on will add interference to the sound). Individually, you dont percieve these issues, but when added together, its pretty darn obvious. All these, are what leads the the AK amp falling behind it its performance compared to stack amps. 

So, yes, the amp is a great idea if you want an all in one package, the same way some people wish to buy off-the-shelfs PCs. However, there are some of us who recognize the problems with an all-in-one systems, and hence still stick to the traditional separate player + amp system. However, to say that the difference in performance that you get is only 'subtle' at best, is a fallacy which I think almost all people who run their 380 with stacks will disagree with.  Plus, you get to play with interconnects, which adds in another layer of fun by changing the sonic signature of the final output. You, cant do that with the AK amp. 

Dec 26, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #60 of 74
i have connected the charge cable to my AK380 AMP, at the charging light is on, and it charge but when I check it is like if it doesn't enter fully (see picture)
is that normal ? is yours exactly like that ? I want the opinion of many owners to be sure, and decide if I have to keep the unit or return it for change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back