AK380 Amp Impressions and discussions
Feb 20, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #19 of 74
  I'm delighted with mine. No hiss whatsoever on any headphone.

Same here.  Listening via JH Angie.  I've heard hiss only once and discovered it was the source recording -- Charlie Haden and Gonzalo Rubalcaba's "Tokyo Adagio."

Feb 29, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #21 of 74
Hello All,

I'm new here and I just bought AK 380. My question is :
- How is important the AK380 Amp for A&K 380? you can hear a lot of diference in the sound? in micro dinamics? or it's only for more power?
Thanks .

Mar 9, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #22 of 74
  Hello All,

I'm new here and I just bought AK 380. My question is :
- How is important the AK380 Amp for A&K 380? you can hear a lot of diference in the sound? in micro dinamics? or it's only for more power?
Thanks .

I don't see any advantage beyond a little more power actually...

Mar 9, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #24 of 74
The sonic differences between amp and no amp are very small. I imagine I could not guess which was which in a double blind test.

The amp has the advantage of opening up a wider range of headphones and earphones to you.

The main disadvantage is you cannot use the charging dock with the amp in place and the amp is fiddly to install and remove.

Battery life does not appear to change with or without the amp attached.

Mar 9, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #25 of 74

I don't see any advantage beyond a little more power actually...

THanks.
  The sonic differences between amp and no amp are very small. I imagine I could not guess which was which in a double blind test.

The amp has the advantage of opening up a wider range of headphones and earphones to you.

The main disadvantage is you cannot use the charging dock with the amp in place and the amp is fiddly to install and remove.

Can I say with the AMP the 380 drives all head/earphones easily :)

Mar 9, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #26 of 74

Hopefully not since the amp comes with its own battery. I don't know for sure, but I guess the line signal is present anytime the AK380/320 plays music anyway.

Can I say with the AMP the 380 drives all head/earphones easily :)

At least many, yes. Did not try with the Abyss since I sold it some time ago, but the amp is not too powerful (~8V amp vs. 2.3V player alone, balanced outs) and they say nothing about current limitations... yes, its more than the player itself, but I would not expect any wonders.

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #27 of 74
I meant to say the amp battery and the 380 battery operate separately. If the amp battery dies you must switch your headphones to the upper jacks and run off the 380 battery with the corresponding loss of power. I am not sure if you can use the 380 with a dead battery and a fully charged amp . . .I have not tried this yet.

The battery life of the amp and the unit are approximately the same. 

Mar 11, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #29 of 74
As an initial "out of the box" impression with AK 320, the AK 380 amp grips the JH Angie 2 differently - definitely more bass weight in balanced mode. Need to get a full charge and try both SE and balanced outputs. The volume does not appear to be lower with the amp. Obviously lots to consider. Colour and fit are not a perfect match.

Mar 11, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #30 of 74
I just received my unit to pair with my ak320, and my first impressions are that it makes a huge difference in terms of sheer power and authority in driving full sized phones. Better bass definition and weight I think. Also love the convenience of having a combined integrated piece instead of a cumbersome strap-on stack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back