AK 240 Stainless Steel Edition Thread
Jan 14, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #602 of 735
Having had my new (to me) 240SS for a few days now, I find I am in complete agreement with what what printed in the first post of this thread.  I can't compare the Stainless Steel version to a base 240 as I am coming from a 120ll.  I am very pleased with the upper end, it has great brightness and detail without moving into sibilance.  The bass is solid but detailed- clearly differentiated thump and bump.  The mids are spectacularly solid, great richness and detail.  The soundstage is VERY wide, and instrumental separation is pronounced without being too independent.  Voices, male and female, are well-defined and clear.  

What I have found amazing is how much new I am hearing in music that I already thought I was hearing with great detail and clarity.  This device seems to open up sounds and harmonies and little filigrees previously buried in the mix.  It's not an analytical sound, it is very solid, with incredible detail.  

I've been playing random songs with it, just to see what they sound like, and so far have not been disappointed.  A very impressive device indeed.

Jan 16, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #603 of 735
  Having had my new (to me) 240SS for a few days now, I find I am in complete agreement with what what printed in the first post of this thread.  I can't compare the Stainless Steel version to a base 240 as I am coming from a 120ll.  I am very pleased with the upper end, it has great brightness and detail without moving into sibilance.  The bass is solid but detailed- clearly differentiated thump and bump.  The mids are spectacularly solid, great richness and detail.  The soundstage is VERY wide, and instrumental separation is pronounced without being too independent.  Voices, male and female, are well-defined and clear.  

What I have found amazing is how much new I am hearing in music that I already thought I was hearing with great detail and clarity.  This device seems to open up sounds and harmonies and little filigrees previously buried in the mix.  It's not an analytical sound, it is very solid, with incredible detail.  

I've been playing random songs with it, just to see what they sound like, and so far have not been disappointed.  A very impressive device indeed.

Glad you like it. Forgive me for saying this, but adding a Chord Mojo takes it up another level without adding too much to the footprint.

Jan 16, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #605 of 735
What's the point of buying a costly DAP if you're just going to use it as transport?

I didn't intend to add a DAC when I bought my 240SS, but after awhile I began looking for the next step. The Mojo was the next step for me.

Call me a crazy audiophile who continually seeks audio nirvana ...

Jan 16, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #606 of 735

Glad you like it. Forgive me for saying this, but adding a Chord Mojo takes it up another level without adding too much to the footprint.

I've read about the Mojo, and I don't think the sound signature is for me.  I like the brightness of the 240SS and don't see a reason to smooth it out.  Besides, I walk with my AK and I really don't want to stack (had a stack before, just creates more size and weight and poor handling while walking and trying to go through the menu.  And the AK is already heavy enough).  But thanks for the suggestion.

Now, if at the start of this whole descent into audiophile madness there had been a Mojo to attach to my phone, I doubt I would have had a Colorfly C3, a JDS Labs C5 amp, an iBasso DX50 (with the C5 as well), a Fiio X5, a Pono, an AK 120ll and an AK 240SS.  But there wasn't so I've taken this journey.  Too late to go back now.  

Jan 16, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #607 of 735

I've read about the Mojo, and I don't think the sound signature is for me.  I like the brightness of the 240SS and don't see a reason to smooth it out.  Besides, I walk with my AK and I really don't want to stack (had a stack before, just creates more size and weight and poor handling while walking and trying to go through the menu.  And the AK is already heavy enough).  But thanks for the suggestion.

Now, if at the start of this whole descent into audiophile madness there had been a Mojo to attach to my phone, I doubt I would have had a Colorfly C3, a JDS Labs C5 amp, an iBasso DX50 (with the C5 as well), a Fiio X5, a Pono, an AK 120ll and an AK 240SS.  But there wasn't so I've taken this journey.  Too late to go back now.  

My DAP history:

Rio 500
iPod 3 & 4
iPod nano 2, 4, & 5
iPod touch 2 & 4
Colorfly C4 Pro
A&K AK100
A&K AK120
A&K AK240
A&K AK240SS

I'm sure it will not end there, but the 240SS is a keeper unless Chord's module for the new Hugo 2 is a DAP and I need the money to buy it. Still, the 240SS brings me such tactile pleasure as well as aural. A landmark design, in my humble opinion.

Jan 16, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #608 of 735
Wait, we're counting iPods too?  OK, a couple of Nanos and a Classic 5.5.  Oh, and I forgot to list a Fiio X1 I bought because it was a nice cheap backup.

Jan 16, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #609 of 735
  Wait, we're counting iPods too?  OK, a couple of Nanos and a Classic 5.5.  Oh, and I forgot to list a Fiio X1 I bought because it was a nice cheap backup.

iPods are DAPs, too.

Regarding the tonal quality of the Mojo, the slightly warmer signature is in comparison to the Hugo which was highly detailed, in my opinion. Where the Chord DACs are truly exceptional is in retrieval of spatial detail ... the sense of a 3D soundstage is stunning.

Jan 16, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #610 of 735
I'm truly happy with how wide the soundstage is with the 240SS compared to the 120ll.  And how instrument and vocal placement is clear without going too far, into isolation.  That and the little bits that were a slightly buried in the 120ll that leap out at me now.  I'm hearing more in harmonies and in harmonics.  I picked up some finger work on a guitar part I'm very familiar with, where it sounds like fingers tapping strings where before I was just hearing the notes.  I hate to say it sounds smooth, because of how much detail I am hearing.  It may be the musical transitions and overlays that give me the feeling of smoothness.  It just sounds musical and alive.  

Jan 16, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #611 of 735
Yep, it is the clarity that the 240SS is famous for.  Enjoy it and don't do anything to it.

Jan 16, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #612 of 735
I'm going to hold it and pet it and love it.  
gs1000.gif

Jan 18, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #613 of 735
I bought my toy a new set of clothes, a Dignis/Borsa DAP bag.  They come from Korea, cost $50 plus a pretty hefty quick shipping fee, but it got here in about five days.  Nice material, my 240SS fits very well (I bought the medium could have gotten away with the small), nice belt loop, removable strap, well-padded.  Quality pouch.  Nice folks to deal with.  They've got a Korean site and a Korean site in English.  

Jan 19, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #614 of 735
Looks nice!

Jan 24, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #615 of 735
I bought my toy a new set of clothes, a Dignis/Borsa DAP bag.  They come from Korea, cost $50 plus a pretty hefty quick shipping fee, but it got here in about five days.  Nice material, my 240SS fits very well (I bought the medium could have gotten away with the small), nice belt loop, removable strap, well-padded.  Quality pouch.  Nice folks to deal with.  They've got a Korean site and a Korean site in English.  

Hi,

Can I have the link to purchase this pouch?:smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back