AK 240 Stainless Steel Edition Thread
Dec 29, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #587 of 735

Anyone have any experience polishing scratches off their SS units? :joy:

Dec 30, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #588 of 735

Anyone have any experience polishing scratches off their SS units? :joy:

Did you ever share your thought on your MST mod? Just curious how is the sound different? How is the Pristine pairs with the 240?

Dec 30, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #589 of 735
Did you ever share your thought on your MST mod? Just curious how is the sound different? How is the Pristine pairs with the 240?

I've actually been trying to hit a good level of burn/run in as I've read that the solder I requested to be used (Munforf Supreme) has a very long run in period. I keep hearing changes every few dozen hours! Could be me going insane but that's just me.

As for general impressions, my unit has gotten the full upgrade except that I chose to stick with the stick AK opamps instead of the change that Ryuzoh suggested as I didn't want to change the sound signature in a way I wouldn't expect. I won't do a direct comparison with a 380Cu until my unit has run in more, since it hasn't fully settled down yet, but I feel like they're both different beasts. The 380Cu is slightly darker sounding by comparison and sounds very organic and warm. The 240SSR, by contrast, sounds brighter and more analytical, but is still quite musical. Have not sat down to really compare technical ability yet but the 240SSR is definitely equal if not close to the 380Cu (doubt it could surpass the Cu, definitely a regular 380 Black IME).

As for a pairing with the Pristine, its quite a bright and analytical combo but to my surprise the treble isn't offensive at all like I thought it would be. Quite nice for analytical listening! Currently waiting on a Zeus R Adel which I believe will sound absolutely lovely.

If anyone wants to hear the modded 240SS I'll be at Canjam NYC!

Dec 30, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #590 of 735
Hey guys I'm debating picking up the 240SS.

So I really miss my 240. I'm a little apprehensive about going all the way up to the 380. I do like the bigger screen, but the 240SS is perfect sized for traveling on a plane, it has a beautiful suede case and by all accounts the AK240SS sounds more like the 380 than it does the stock 240. I also miss the AK UI a lot and the ability to browse by "recent" music playlist when adding a bunch of new tracks for

I should also mention I also didn't necessarily like my RWAK240 mod "better" but it was just different. There was definitely slightly more bass and slam, but at the same time I felt that came at the expense of the wonderful clarity of the highs/mids and bass texture that the original non-modded sound signature had.I should also mention I also didn't necessarily like my RWAK240 mod "better" but it was just different. There was definitely slightly more bass and slam, but at the same time I felt that came at the expense of the wonderful clarity of the highs/mids and bass texture that the original non-modded sound signature had.

You hit the nail on the head with regard to the RW mod. Yes, the bass is stronger but I lost the clarity and the texture. To me the whole sound signature changed quite a bit. I really did not see that coming and in a way felt cheated. I should have been told about this prior to the mod and now I cannot go back. To me the 380cu is an upgrade to the 240SS. But the 240SS is worth every penny and I don't mind to pick one up again.

Dec 30, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #591 of 735
Too bad I am not coming to canjam Nyc but thanks for the impression.

Dec 30, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #592 of 735
Jan 3, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #594 of 735
hi just an update they sent me a brand new unit in sealed box even after 6 month of warranty.great company

Did you mean 6 months out of warranty?

Anyway, glad to hear they took care of you. Now, the burn-in process begins. 
wink_face.gif

Jan 3, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #596 of 735
yes it was out of warranty by 6 month I just paid for postage.I also got offered to pay around 1000 dollars and get the 380.do you think it's worth it.

Well, your brand new 240SS retails for $3,000 and a brand new 380 retails for $3,500, so unless you mean they offered the copper 380, $1,000 seems high.

As to whether you should upgrade, if you like the increased functionality of the 380 and the larger size isn't a bother to you, go for it. Sound wise, there have been mixed reports as to whether a 380 sounds better than a 240SS, different yes, but not necessarily better. The copper version may be a bit better.

As for me, I like the compact size of the 240SS. Also, I bought a Chord Mojo and the combination is a significantly better sounding experience.

Jan 3, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #597 of 735
Well, your brand new 240SS retails for $3,000 and a brand new 380 retails for $3,500, so unless you mean they offered the copper 380, $1,000 seems high.

As to whether you should upgrade, if you like the increased functionality of the 380 and the larger size isn't a bother to you, go for it. Sound wise, there have been mixed reports as to whether a 380 sounds better than a 240SS, different yes, but not necessarily better. The copper version may be a bit better.

As for me, I like the compact size of the 240SS. Also, I bought a Chord Mojo and the combination is a significantly better sounding experience.
cant thank you enough for your input i am sure they valued the 240ss at 2500 dollars.now i am confident in opening the box since i am not upgrading.which connection do you use for mojo

Jan 3, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #598 of 735
cant thank you enough for your input i am sure they valued the 240ss at 2500 dollars.now i am confident in opening the box since i am not upgrading.which connection do you use for mojo

Happy to help. I bought a 10cm 4 nines silver cable from Penon Audio for $31 shipped. I'm supposed to get it in the mail today. Prior, I used an inexpensive 7cm cable I picked up on eBay, but the connectors seem iffy since I sometimes get dropouts. Hopefully the new cable will take care of that.

The Mojo really makes a difference, so if you want to improve the sound on your 240SS, I highly recommend you get one. There's a large thread on the Mojo you may want to check out.

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #599 of 735
I just joined the AK 240SS club- bought a mint used one and am busily transferring music over to it as I type this.  I already installed my 200gb card, and during the short time I listened to several tracks on it I was mightily impressed!  I've really enjoyed my 120ll, but this is a major step up in SQ.  

Jan 11, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #600 of 735
  I just joined the AK 240SS club- bought a mint used one and am busily transferring music over to it as I type this.  I already installed my 200gb card, and during the short time I listened to several tracks on it I was mightily impressed!  I've really enjoyed my 120ll, but this is a major step up in SQ.  

Congrats on your purchase!

There are some members here who prefer the sound of their 240SS over the 380. I really like mine, I also like to hold it and marvel about its fantastic construction. Beautiful piece of gear ... or kit, as I've heard our U.K. friends say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back