AK 240 Stainless Steel Edition Thread
Apr 26, 2015 at 5:10 AM Post #182 of 735
goodvibesWhat does that even mean? The products suck in terms of quality control (it is 100% true, my first Ak240 had the volume issue, then my first AK240SS was scratched deeply, and my current AK240SS has the 2.5 issue, depending on the cable), so we should rejoice that they are widely distributed and thus widely serviced ?

Apr 26, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #185 of 735

I knew it. 

Considering the exorbitant price of the SS AK240, would it really kill A&K to supply one such plug to each SS AK240 customer, FOC & gratis??
rolleyes.gif
  It's called serving the customers who support your business...

Apr 26, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #186 of 735

Considering the exorbitant price of the SS AK240, would it really kill A&K to supply one such plug to each SS AK240 customer, FOC & gratis??
rolleyes.gif
  It's called serving the customers who support your business...

That is not realistic. Though i support your idea. 

Apr 26, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #187 of 735
I can imagine and I am glad that it is just a cable problem,
since the 240SS works flawless with the AK 5Tp headphones.

Apr 26, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #188 of 735
  That is not realistic. Though i support your idea. 

It might be unrealistic for an arrogant company that's only interested in screwing customers for maximum profit margins, but it's totally realistic for a company that actually gives a damn about its customers.

We are talking about just a few dollars (including global shipping) for a tiny component to rectify a major problem with a DAP being retailed at more than two and a half THOUSAND dollars.

Many companies would jump at the chance to rectify such a serious issue for such a cheap outlay-per-customer, to keep them (somewhat) happy with the company's flagship product, and loyal to the brand for future product releases.

And if A&K can't be bothered to do the decent thing, then their distributors/dealers should try to find a conscience and provide the relevant plugs to customers who have purchased an AK240 SS from them. That's called product/customer support, and IMO, they're morally-obliged to make such a simple gesture after creaming such an enormous profit margin from each AK240 SS sale.

A&K products are a gravy train for those in the supply chain, and it's shameful to keep selling a problematic product without making reasonable efforts to rectify the issue at no charge to customers who have lined so many pockets to obtain such a premium device.

Any AK dealers who feel I'm being unfair, just go ahead and PM me...

Apr 26, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #189 of 735
I spoke with a rep for A&K at their Axpona booth yesterday about the 2.5mm issues with the AK240SS.   They are aware of the issue but there is no fix or remedy for it.  "Its a hit or miss", he said.  

Well, for me and it seems like many others, it more often a miss then a hit as I'm 0 for 2 on getting one without issues.  He really didn't have an answer for me, and I can't expect someone working their show booth to know all the answers for issues on their products.  

He explained to me what is causing the issue though, and its kind of what I thought when the tape fix worked.  Seems the actual 2.5mm plug on the headphones vary in length, the length is what is causing the issue cause most are too long for the AK240ss socket, so when you use some tape, it shortens the length of the plug that goes into the socket, thus fixing the contact issue.  

I'm in bit of a dilemma here as I'm still within my return policy but honestly, I don't want to return it unless I'm swapping it out for a third and final time.  I'm really considering just keeping this current unit because everything else is flawless, and I'm able to fix the 2.5mm issue with some tape.  The thing is, I haven't found anything that is this portable and sounds this good with my CIEMs (Roxannes and JH16).  I wish it didn't sound so good, then I wouldn't have an issue just returning it and moving onto something else.  I really didn't feel this way with the regular AK240, but something special about this Stainless steel version, the sound, the look, and the feel.  

Apr 26, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #190 of 735

It might be unrealistic for an arrogant company that's only interested in screwing customers for maximum profit margins, but it's totally realistic for a company that actually gives a damn about its customers.

We are talking about just a few dollars (including global shipping) for a tiny component to rectify a major problem with a DAP being retailed at more than two and a half THOUSAND dollars.

Many companies would jump at the chance to rectify such a serious issue for such a cheap outlay-per-customer, to keep them (somewhat) happy with the company's flagship product, and loyal to the brand for future product releases.

And if A&K can't be bothered to do the decent thing, then their distributors/dealers should try to find a conscience and provide the relevant plugs to customers who have purchased an AK240 SS from them. That's called product/customer support, and IMO, they're morally-obliged to make such a simple gesture after creaming such an enormous profit margin from each AK240 SS sale.

A&K products are a gravy train for those in the supply chain, and it's shameful to keep selling a problematic product without making reasonable efforts to rectify the issue at no charge to customers who have lined so many pockets to obtain such a premium device.

Any AK dealers who feel I'm being unfair, just go ahead and PM me...

I don't see how A&K would make a cable for few dollars. The brand name alone would cost 100 USD. Again, I totally support your idea.

Apr 26, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #191 of 735
Since you mention "fairness" you cannot really blame them for non-stock cable issue. If it was their cable, you could complain; however, it is not their cable. 

Apr 26, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #193 of 735
I didn't say cable.

I said plug.

Admittedly, it would require some initiative from customers to apply the new plug to their cable of choice.

Since you mention "fairness" you cannot really blame them for non-stock cable issue. If it was their cable, you could complain; however, it is not their cable. 

Very few other DAPs and DAC/Amps appear to have this issue. I've always thought a 2.5mm TRRS was a fragile, bizarre and unwise choice for a pocket device, but since A&K engineers chose to use it, and since they apparently revel in charging the earth for their products, then they are obliged to provide a workable workaround if there is a serious issue (and I don't mean a piece of tape
wink.gif
). This should not be at customers' expense. So it quite justified to 'complain' about their foolish choice of such a fragile TRRS socket.

None of this is personal, BTW, I'm just speaking strongly about the issue, not strongly at you personally
beerchug.gif

Apr 26, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #194 of 735
There's a reason they chose 2.5mm trrs for balanced instead of the 3.5mm trrs, they didn't want customers plugging their 3.5mm SE cables into the balanced socket and shorting something out. Only other option I know of is the 4-pin kobicon and I rather have a 2.5mm socket

Apr 26, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #195 of 735
There's a reason they chose 2.5mm trrs for balanced instead of the 3.5mm trrs, they didn't want customers plugging their 3.5mm SE cables into the balanced socket and shorting something out. Only other option I know of is the 4-pin kobicon and I rather have a 2.5mm socket

Yep, I know that reason. But I still say 2.5mm is a silly choice, just asking for trouble and obvious to cause reliability/durability issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back