AK 240 Stainless Steel Edition Thread
Apr 26, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #196 of 735
It is not an issue from the plug's perspective, since it is not necessary for it to be universal, it would suffice; however, not necessary.

Beside that, I was anxious to buy it, specially Kuwait does not have A&K distributor, and thus it is a big issue if i face some problems with any of their products. But i do not care, eventually there will be some proper cables,well, there are good cables, Labkables for example.

Apr 26, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #197 of 735
  It is not an issue from the plug's perspective, since it is not necessary for it to be universal, it would suffice; however, not necessary.

Beside that, I was anxious to buy it, specially Kuwait does not have A&K distributor, and thus it is a big issue if i face some problems with any of their products. But i do not care, eventually there will be some proper cables,well, there are good cables, Labkables for example.

Well, I wish you good luck if you buy an AK240 / AK240SS.

I mean that sincerely, not sarcastically.

Personally, I would not deal with such a company, but that's just me.

Apr 26, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #198 of 735
Come on, don't ruin my day. I have had LONG Brainstorm thinking of whether to buy AK240SS now or wait, i'm sick of my iPod classic.

Apr 26, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #199 of 735
They know now more than a year that at least a few hundred have problems with this small proprietary port. Why they don't replace it with a well-known RSA/ALO port. I never heard of any problems with a 2,5mm plug or port - a lot of headphone manufacturers use this kind of connections for years.... no only the AK240 TRRS has this problems.

Apr 26, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #201 of 735
I really would still recommend this player. Just ensure you have local dealer with a lot of devices on stock because you need to change them till you find a working device

I don't know whether you meant to be sarcastic or not. But i LMAO ;D

Apr 26, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #202 of 735
  I spoke with a rep for A&K at their Axpona booth yesterday about the 2.5mm issues with the AK240SS.   They are aware of the issue but there is no fix or remedy for it.  "Its a hit or miss", he said.  

Well, for me and it seems like many others, it more often a miss then a hit as I'm 0 for 2 on getting one without issues.  He really didn't have an answer for me, and I can't expect someone working their show booth to know all the answers for issues on their products.  

He explained to me what is causing the issue though, and its kind of what I thought when the tape fix worked.  Seems the actual 2.5mm plug on the headphones vary in length, the length is what is causing the issue cause most are too long for the AK240ss socket, so when you use some tape, it shortens the length of the plug that goes into the socket, thus fixing the contact issue.  

I'm in bit of a dilemma here as I'm still within my return policy but honestly, I don't want to return it unless I'm swapping it out for a third and final time.  I'm really considering just keeping this current unit because everything else is flawless, and I'm able to fix the 2.5mm issue with some tape.  The thing is, I haven't found anything that is this portable and sounds this good with my CIEMs (Roxannes and JH16).  I wish it didn't sound so good, then I wouldn't have an issue just returning it and moving onto something else.  I really didn't feel this way with the regular AK240, but something special about this Stainless steel version, the sound, the look, and the feel.  

I use a 2,5mm TRRS from Linum (http://www.linum.dk/linum-balanced/) and i have absolutely no issues with that plug/cable. Maybe someone here with experience with that plug/cable too ?

Apr 26, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #203 of 735
I have the same Linum balanced cable for my JH16s and it requires the tape on my current unit otherwise it cuts in and out.  I'm going to try swapping one more time.  Maybe 3rd times a charm.  

Apr 26, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #204 of 735
It's also relevant that many AK240 users use it as a 'desktop' device rather than a pocket device (thus potentially placing less stress upon the 2.5mm TRRS socket).

But the AK240/AK240SS is a pocket DAP and should therefore be designed to operate reliably in precisely that context.

Apr 26, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #205 of 735
  I have the same Linum balanced cable for my JH16s and it requires the tape on my current unit otherwise it cuts in and out.  I'm going to try swapping one more time.  Maybe 3rd times a charm.  

Perhaps a thin acetate washer could be placed on the TRRS shaft of your cable plug, rather than tape upon the DAP chassis?

Apr 26, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #206 of 735

Perhaps a thin acetate washer could be placed on the TRRS shaft of your cable plug, rather than tape upon the DAP chassis?

Thanks Mython.  I had pretty much the same idea but was thinking of something in the way of a rubber o-ring on the plug but couldn't find any thin enough.  An acetate washer might do the trick.  I'll give it a try.    

update : In the mean time I've put the tape around  the iem plug and not on the ak240ss and its working just fine.  

Apr 27, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #208 of 735
When I bought my AK240SS from Can Jam, I was told by the guys at AK that the SS may not be around for too long. they were encouraging me to pick one up before they were gone. So far I have enjoyed the SS and I really liked the sound signature. I was told that there may be only 10 or so left in the US. After I played around with it at Can Jam, I could not let it go. It is such a solid piece of jewelry and I love to just hold it in my hand. I thought about buying the Paw Gold, but the absence of digital out kill the deal as I also like to connect the SS to my Hugo. So far I have no problem with the connectors.

Apr 27, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #209 of 735
Glad you're enjoying your AK240SS, Jalo.

As for AK240/AK240SS customers less fortunate than you, I hope they learn from this experience of A&K and act accordingly, with their wallets, in future.

I also hope A&K learn from this experience, but I personally doubt they will support their customers any better in the event of technical issues such as this, or that they will revise their pricing strategy. They seem to think they are above competitors, above customers, and that seriously addressing such a serious issue is... well... beneath them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back