AK 240 Stainless Steel Edition Thread
Jul 29, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #676 of 735
Hi Guys,

I have a serious question. Do you think if should get the AK240SS used for USD1,300? How does it compare now?

Cheers

I am very partial to the 240SS, the design, the sound by itself and when used as a transport for my Mojo. The price seems very good, but there are new DAPs in that same range that you may want to check out ... the Sony WM1A comes to mind.

The state of the art in sound changes rapidly in regards to premium DAPs, but I for one love how the 240SS sounds. :relieved:

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #678 of 735
I am very partial to the 240SS, the design, the sound by itself and when used as a transport for my Mojo. The price seems very good, but there are new DAPs in that same range that you may want to check out ... the Sony WM1A comes to mind.

The state of the art in sound changes rapidly in regards to premium DAPs, but I for one love how the 240SS sounds. :relieved:

Wm1a is a great dap especially battery life double the 240ss and doesn't become over heat as 240ss.

For the size portable 240ss is great. For sound wise both different signature.

Wm1a with 4.4 and 240ss 2.5 this to be consider by the user.

Sound wise both are great.

Jul 29, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #679 of 735
I got one about a year ago for 1600. Great device. Check out the 240SS thread here on Head-Fi for impressions. My personal impression? Great with iems, lots of detail, very melodic/musical, great transparency/separation of individual instruments, and a wide soundstage. Some might call it bright as opposed to warm.

There was talk about volume knobs being loose, and shorting with iem cable where they plugged in to the balanced port. Mine has neither issue (the latter, should it even occur, is easily remedied with a piece of scotch tape).

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #680 of 735
Wm1a is a great dap especially battery life double the 240ss and doesn't become over heat as 240ss.

For the size portable 240ss is great. For sound wise both different signature.

Wm1a with 4.4 and 240ss 2.5 this to be consider by the user.

Sound wise both are great.

I've not had any troubles with my 240SS heating up except when I play DSD albums ... with FLAC hi res, no problems at all. I do not use the case.

So far, and correct me if I'm wrong, Sony is the only company that supports the 4.4mm balanced connection. Many DAPs from a variety of companies use the 2.5mm standard. I agree the thicker Sony connection is more sturdy, but I've never had an issue using the 2.5mm connection.

Jul 29, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #681 of 735
All my cables are 2.5, so no Sony for me.

No overheating, it really doesn't even get a bit warm unless it is in my shirt pocket with the screen facing my chest. I walk with mine in a Dignis belt pouch and it stays cool to the touch. And it is always in a leather case.

Jul 30, 2017 at 3:02 AM Post #682 of 735
The AK240 is still an excellent device even compared to the latest. If you can get if cheapthen go ahead. I have not found any DAPs with the best overall user experience than A&K and the iPod classics. The AK240SS to me has it all. the looks, enjoyable/pleasant UI the SQ and the ability to power a wide range of headphone.

The latest AK DAPs to me is just nothing but a rehash of mostly the same stuff started by AK240. It's a good thing AK released a new model this will make AK240 much cheaper now.

I got mine used at around 1300. Though I think is still expensive. I enjoy using it.

Jul 30, 2017 at 5:54 AM Post #684 of 735
I got one about a year ago for 1600. Great device. Check out the 240SS thread here on Head-Fi for impressions. My personal impression? Great with iems, lots of detail, very melodic/musical, great transparency/separation of individual instruments, and a wide soundstage. Some might call it bright as opposed to warm.

There was talk about volume knobs being loose, and shorting with iem cable where they plugged in to the balanced port. Mine has neither issue (the latter, should it even occur, is easily remedied with a piece of scotch tape).

Thanks for your comments. I dont have the $$ for a new one and would like to own a nice one for at least 10 years. I always believe in the law of diminishing returns

Jul 30, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #686 of 735
Just wanted everyone to know if you use the AK Connect app, there is a new Version 2.0 in the App Store.

Aug 9, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #688 of 735
I find the ak240ss one of my personal favourite DAPs. Superb detailing and resolution. My personal unit has the small issue of the volume knob being abit loose which causes the volume to jump around erratically sometimes instead of increasing/decreasing linearly when I try to change the volume. However, I use the screen instead of the volume knob so it isn't such a big issue for me. Also, my ak240ss is always in its leather case but I have not experienced the issue of it heating up. My unit gets a little warm only when it is charging. I would still highly recommend this DAP to anyone especially if u can find it cheap. Cheers!

Aug 9, 2017 at 2:48 AM Post #689 of 735
I find the ak240ss one of my personal favourite DAPs. Superb detailing and resolution. My personal unit has the small issue of the volume knob being abit loose which causes the volume to jump around erratically sometimes instead of increasing/decreasing linearly when I try to change the volume. However, I use the screen instead of the volume knob so it isn't such a big issue for me. Also, my ak240ss is always in its leather case but I have not experienced the issue of it heating up. My unit gets a little warm only when it is charging. I would still highly recommend this DAP to anyone especially if u can find it cheap. Cheers!

It's normal for the volume knob on AK240SS. The trick is you turn it slowly/gradually and it responds effectively. The guy who sold it to me also can't use the knob instead use the touchscreen for volume control and I thought the unit has a defective volume knob. I got used to other DAPs which I can turn the knob quickly and respond accordingly. But I got used to it that I can turn the volume up or down using the knob while inside my pocket.

Aug 9, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #690 of 735
It's normal for the volume knob on AK240SS. The trick is you turn it slowly/gradually and it responds effectively. The guy who sold it to me also can't use the knob instead use the touchscreen for volume control and I thought the unit has a defective volume knob. I got used to other DAPs which I can turn the knob quickly and respond accordingly. But I got used to it that I can turn the volume up or down using the knob while inside my pocket.
It doesn't work for my own unit even by turning it slowly unfortunately :frowning2: But I find that this is a small problem as it does not affect the sound so it does not bother me that much. Thank you for your suggestion nonetheless! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back