AK 240 Stainless Steel Edition Thread
Apr 4, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #648 of 735
I still use my Mojo with my 240SS, it just sounds better to me than when used by itself. Perhaps I just prefer the sound of the FPGA design in the Mojo.

Regarding being used as a transport, many have reported that the 240SS does improve the sound over a less expensive DAP, including the AK100/II. As to why this can be, it is a contentious issue. I've never been able to test this theory since I don't own another DAP. However, it would not surprise me in the least if it is true; reproduction of lossless music can be improved by greater resonance control, tighter tolerance internal componentry, and better circuit design, all of which are hallmarks of the 240SS.

John, before I bought the 380Cu and 1Z, I paired my 240SS with my Hugo and to me I do like that pairing and I think the 240SS sounds better as a transport to the 100/120 line.

Apr 4, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #649 of 735
Hi, someone is selling a used ak240ss and a rwak240 and I'm wondering if it's an worthwhile upgrade from my ak100 and mojo stack. I'm using a jh16 firm.

I've been thinking about letting go of my RWAK240SS so someone can enjoy it, but I really struggle in cutting the apron string. Partially because I think the 240SS is so beautifully done with SS it is a solid piece of fine art, and Partially because Vinnie is no longer doing the red wine mod which makes it somewhat special. I kind of want of keep it for memory sake but I don't use it too much. I am about 60/40 on keeping it. What should I do?

Apr 4, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #650 of 735
I've been thinking about letting go of my RWAK240SS so someone can enjoy it, but I really struggle in cutting the apron string. Partially because I think the 240SS is so beautifully done with SS it is a solid piece of fine art, and Partially because Vinnie is no longer doing the red wine mod which makes it somewhat special. I kind of want of keep it for memory sake but I don't use it too much. I am about 60/40 on keeping it. What should I do?

Hi Jalo,

I understand where you are. I used to work in the high end audio biz, and over the years, I was fortunate to have owned some pretty exotic gear. When I think back about some of the impulsive decions I made to sell an item, I now view some of those occasions with regret.

Head-Fi related, I wish I never sold my Krell KSA5v. It was a great headphone amp, and built like a tank.

I bought my 240SS because of its limited availability compared to the other versions of the 240. I've thought about selling it, too, maybe get a 380SS or 380Cu. But part of me thinks back to the Krell or other favorites I've owned (Nagra VPA mono tube amps),

and I think I will ultimately be unhappy selling something that is sure to become a collector's item.

Maybe put your 240SS back in its box and store it away ... and one day open it up again and smile you didn't give it up.

Apr 4, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #651 of 735
Hi Jalo,

I understand where you are. I used to work in the high end audio biz, and over the years, I was fortunate to have owned some pretty exotic gear. When I think back about some of the impulsive decions I made to sell an item, I now view some of those occasions with regret.

Head-Fi related, I wish I never sold my Krell KSA5v. It was a great headphone amp, and built like a tank.

I bought my 240SS because of its limited availability compared to the other versions of the 240. I've thought about selling it, too, maybe get a 380SS or 380Cu. But part of me thinks back to the Krell or other favorites I've owned (Nagra VPA mono tube amps),

and I think I will ultimately be unhappy selling something that is sure to become a collector's item.

Maybe put your 240SS back in its box and store it away ... and one day open it up again and smile you didn't give it up.

Well said and very good point. yes, the Krell KSA was a great amp. See you this weekend.

Apr 5, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #652 of 735
The blue note edition for the ak240 is now reduced to us$1999. Theoretically, each blue note album is us$25. So the cost of the 75 albums comes up to about us$1800. Seems like a good deal....

Apr 5, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #653 of 735
The blue note edition for the ak240 is now reduced to us$1999. Theoretically, each blue note album is us$25. So the cost of the 75 albums comes up to about us$1800. Seems like a good deal....

Yes, that is a great deal provided one likes the music, which I do.

Apr 5, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #654 of 735

It is a good deal for a good DAP and good music.
Once again, it is limited to the US, as is the deal on AK240SS.

In Europe, it is still cow milking land, where stock AK240 is still sold over 2400$, and the Blue Note Edition for over 4400$.
Silly distribution agreements that prevent any rebate even when the DAP was released a long time ago... free market my **s

Apr 5, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #656 of 735
There is a Singapore website (qoo10) selling it for sgd$3000. Very tempting. If i buy it my wife will kill me!!!!

At least you'll have beautiful music to accompany you to the hereafter.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #657 of 735
Still loving my 240SS connected to my Mojo. The new SP1000 looks nice, but I prefer the small form factor of the 240SS.

Jun 12, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #659 of 735
It would be perfect if only mojo has 2.5mm output.

When comparing the 2.5mm output from the 240SS to the non balanced output of the Mojo, the Mojo wins hands down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back