AK 240 Stainless Steel Edition Thread
Aug 9, 2017 at 3:28 AM Post #691 of 735
It doesn't work for my own unit even by turning it slowly unfortunately :frowning2: But I find that this is a small problem as it does not affect the sound so it does not bother me that much. Thank you for your suggestion nonetheless! :)

Oh, that's unfortunate. But I agree the AK240SS is one of the best DAPs I tried so far both SQ and user experience. I tried almost all AK DAPs except the latest one and AK240SS to me is the best DAP AK produced. Other DAPs (non-AK or iPod) I tried are nowhere near the overall performance/experience of an AK240. Some might get a thing or 2 spot on only to be let down on some other things mostly, UI and basic features lacking/not working properly.

If not for the insane price I would have gotten it sooner. But thanks for AK churning out new products almost like clockwork that AK240SS is appearing on secondary market now at way less than the retail price. Even brand new/unopened AK240SS sells way less than it used too. But buying this used is still more practical and save several more dollars.

Now, it I can find a way to increase the battery life on AK240.

Aug 12, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #692 of 735
It doesn't work for my own unit even by turning it slowly unfortunately :frowning2: But I find that this is a small problem as it does not affect the sound so it does not bother me that much. Thank you for your suggestion nonetheless! :)

I'm beginning to have the same problem with my SS. Most of the time, I use it as a transport, so the skittish volume adjustment isn't an issue for me. Still, it saddens me a $3,000 device that's two years old has this problem, especially since this issue goes back to the original AK240 from the first shipments; I bought the AK240 when it was first released, and within a month the skittish volume got worse and worse. iriver replaced it with a brand new one, but I only had that one for a year before I sold it to buy the SS.

Being out of warranty, and likely needing to be shipped back to South Korea for repair, the cost probably doesn't make sense, and there's no guarantee it won't happen again. I'll call iriver next week to confirm my suspicion.

One thing I have noticed is when the control is wacky, doing a full shutdown and then rebooting temporarily improves things, but based on my AK240 experience, once this problem occurs, it gets worse over time. The fix is a new optical encoder volume control.

Sep 24, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #693 of 735
I recently replaced my 240SS with a shiny new Astell&Ultima SP1000SS (which is superb beyond belief) and was considering selling the older unit. Then I thought, maybe I can use it as a transport with my av receiver and Kef speakers. With a little help from Jason and AK, I ended up getting an optical cable to connect them and now have my AK sending all of my music into my av system. No more CD's going into the Oppo, and now I can use hi-res files as well. And I get to keep the 240SS, which is just a beautiful-looking device (the SP1000 is great but looks like my iPhone 7+).

Oct 18, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #694 of 735
I'm beginning to have the same problem with my SS. Most of the time, I use it as a transport, so the skittish volume adjustment isn't an issue for me. Still, it saddens me a $3,000 device that's two years old has this problem, especially since this issue goes back to the original AK240 from the first shipments; I bought the AK240 when it was first released, and within a month the skittish volume got worse and worse. iriver replaced it with a brand new one, but I only had that one for a year before I sold it to buy the SS.

Being out of warranty, and likely needing to be shipped back to South Korea for repair, the cost probably doesn't make sense, and there's no guarantee it won't happen again. I'll call iriver next week to confirm my suspicion.

One thing I have noticed is when the control is wacky, doing a full shutdown and then rebooting temporarily improves things, but based on my AK240 experience, once this problem occurs, it gets worse over time. The fix is a new optical encoder volume control.

To me the AK customer support rules, my only problem with this players are the erratic volume control in the AK240SS, i wrote to
support.inc@iriver.com
And the prices are these:
  • Volume rotary encoder: $5.00
  • Labor: $35.00
  • Estimated total: $40.00
I send the AKplayer and it was fixed in 5 days, now my AK240SS is in perfect condition
(This was done in march 2017)

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #695 of 735
To me de AK customer support rules, my only problem with this players are the erratic volume control in the AK240SS, i wrote to
support.inc@iriver.com
And the prices are these:
  • Volume rotary encoder: $5.00
  • Labor: $35.00
  • Estimated total: $40.00
I send the AKplayer and it was fixed in 5 days, now my AK240SS is in perfect condition
(This was done in march 2017)

Thank you for the info. I see you’re in Chili ... where did you ship it to have it repaired?

Oct 18, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #696 of 735
Thank you for the info. I see you’re in Chili ... where did you ship it to have it repaired?
I send it via DHL and I received it in my personal mailbox in USA...
The repair was done in Astell&kern from USA

Oct 18, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #697 of 735
I send it via DHL and I received it in my personal mailbox in USA...
The repair was done in Astell&kern from USA

Really? That is good news since I can drive to their office. Thanks!

Oct 18, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #698 of 735
Really? That is good news since I can drive to their office. Thanks!

Send a mail to them first or write a personal message to Jason to confirm...
I was attended by James Bullinger

Nov 22, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #699 of 735
Is the SS that much better sounding than the Gunmetal? I cancelled my SS order (used from ebay) and ordered a gunmetal from amazon (Used- like new) because I like the gunmetal color more, but I didn't know they sounded different!

Nov 22, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #700 of 735
Please check my just posted comment on this in the 240 thread.

Nov 22, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #701 of 735
SS has more detail and is brighter. And prettier, but also heavier. I kept mine when I bought an SP1000 because, well, it's so pretty and sounds so nice.

Nov 22, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #702 of 735
Dang,

I’m going to have to follow through and get that SS again, although I’m always scared to deal with eBay. Is there a way to make sure I don’t get a counterfeit item? Like verify the serial number or something ?

Nov 22, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #703 of 735
Dang,

I’m going to have to follow through and get that SS again, although I’m always scared to deal with eBay. Is there a way to make sure I don’t get a counterfeit item? Like verify the serial number or something ?

There are no counterfeit DAPs as far as I am aware. The worst Is either they don't send you anything or you get a faulty item.

Dec 10, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #704 of 735
I’m hesitant to update my SS with the latest firmware due to a user’s comment on the 240 thread about clicking noise between tracks.

Has anyone updated and been happy with the change?

Dec 10, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #705 of 735
I’m hesitant to update my SS with the latest firmware due to a user’s comment on the 240 thread about clicking noise between tracks.

Has anyone updated and been happy with the change?

Mine did not have this problem with latest updated firmware.

Only time I heard the clicking noise was on receiving my used player.
Did a full factory reset and problem solved.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back