AK 240 Stainless Steel Edition Thread
May 9, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #271 of 735
I've got about 100 hours on my SS and it is starting to open up. I am so happy I made the switch to the SS even though I can't say yet whether it sounds better than my original 240, but I have high hopes.

once again I am a bit mystified as one who owns and enjoys a 240....if you cannot say whether the more expensive 240ss sounds better than the 240 why are you so happy that you made the switch which had to cost you quite a bit of money?

May 9, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #272 of 735

AK240SS --> Chord Hugo --> Bakoon HPA-01M --> Final Audio Design Lab 01

Looks like THE ultimate portable rig available out there!

i am not one to tell anyone what to do but somehow paying 3000 dollars for a DAP in order to use it as a transport seems completely absurd.....the 240 is a fabulous device with terrific dual DAC's....if one uses it as a transport it bypasses what you pay the 3000 dollars for....i can certainly understand using a used 120 or another less expensive DAP or an iphone or ipad but a 240ss?????

Use the SS alone when you need real portability. Use the external devices when you are in a hotel or airport. 

YMMV but I believe that's the case. 

May 9, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #273 of 735
  I've got about 100 hours on my SS and it is starting to open up. I am so happy I made the switch to the SS even though I can't say yet whether it sounds better than my original 240, but I have high hopes.

once again I am a bit mystified as one who owns and enjoys a 240....if you cannot say whether the more expensive 240ss sounds better than the 240 why are you so happy that you made the switch which had to cost you quite a bit of money?

It's too soon for me to make a judgement. Once the SS is fully broken in, I'll make my assessment. As to why I'm happy with my purchase, the 240 is a landmark product. To own a special edition model brings me a sense of satisfaction. The money spent is immaterial to me.

May 9, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #274 of 735
[COLOR=FF0000]AK240SS --> Chord Hugo --> Bakoon HPA-01M --> Final Audio Design Lab 01

Looks like THE ultimate portable rig available out there![/COLOR]

i am not one to tell anyone what to do but somehow paying 3000 dollars for a DAP in order to use it as a transport seems completely absurd.....the 240 is a fabulous device with terrific dual DAC's....if one uses it as a transport it bypasses what you pay the 3000 dollars for....i can certainly understand using a used 120 or another less expensive DAP or an iphone or ipad but a 240ss?????
I totally understand your point but I also see what he is doing. First of all, let's not lie to ourselves. Sometimes it doesn't need to make sense if it just makes us happy to have the best components.

More pragmatically, he can have the best DAP when out and and about, and make it even better when at home. I sold the Hugo and abandoned such rigs because I like standalone DAPs, but I have to admit this was the rig I had in mind. Looks great.

May 10, 2015 at 1:30 AM Post #275 of 735
Sometimes I use ak240ss on its own. The way I see it I might as well use it for transport as well as I have the option to. I have multiple setups and mix and match a lot. But yes for people with only one set up might want to select a cheaper transport

May 10, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #276 of 735
For domestic travel I use the 240SS on its own, for international travel, I will bring my 240SS/Hugo combo for a little smoother listening. The combo is especially a nice match with my FAD FiBaSs.  I have to say that when use alone, the balance out of the 240SS gives a clearly better/open sound over the SE out on the JH13. 

May 10, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #278 of 735
if i bought the ask240ss to learn later after a month an ak380 would be out i would be very unhappy

May 10, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #280 of 735
i feel the same hykhleif. would be very pissed if i bought ak240ss & a month later walaaa ak380 on the mark..
frown.gif
 "NOT NICE" it happend to me on a macbook pro retina & also a dell inspiron 15"(TOTL).

May 10, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #282 of 735
  i feel the same hykhleif. would be very pissed if i bought ak240ss & a month later walaaa ak380 on the mark..
frown.gif
 "NOT NICE" it happend to me on a macbook pro retina & also a dell inspiron 15"(TOTL).

for owners of ak240 its not that big of bum as its been some time that it got released, but dam if i bought the ak240ss and now be struck with the ak380 release, man that would be a huge slap

it happened to me with the mad dogs 3.2 that only after a few days the mad dog pro got released i was furious and that was only a small budget headphone so imagine if something that costs 3000 usd and then just within a month a bam new ak380 man

May 10, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #283 of 735
I don't understand why people would be pissed. Are companies not supposed to bring out new products? They have figured out how to ride the gravy train to just keep doing small incremental changes and you guys will keep buying the new shines and flipping the older model.

May 10, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #285 of 735
I am just curious what they intend to bring to the game. Unless they can bring Hugo sound, not very interesting. We will see.
Besides, we are already far into ludicrous price points. I hate myself for the SS, but if they go above the 3k mark, it is going to become laughable

İs hugo better than 240ss ? What is your favourite dap ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back