AirPods
Feb 15, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #556 of 709
This thread is Michaelsd’s roller coaster journey with the AirPods. Funny enough, I share many of the same sentiments. When I first tried my cousins, I didn’t understand the hype. Then I gave in because I got an Apple Watch.

Now, I am thoroughly satisfied with the sound. The fit leaves a little to be desired, but foams really helped, and I bought the hooks for running (haven’t tried them yet, but I don’t see them working out to well).

The weak fit led to the purchase of B&O E8, which I really, really like. My wife has taken over the AirPods but I think I’m going to buy another set for myself.

All that being said, I have used my JH16’s maybe three times since the purchase of these earphones. And I really have no desire to purchase higher end stuff anymore.

As a side note, does anyone worry about the electromagnetic waves Bluetooth headphones transmit? I’ve been a little paranoid lately.

Feb 16, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #557 of 709
What is it that you guys like about the AirPods that you didn't like before? This is a really interesting phenomenon.
Was it snootiness? Was it brand prejudice? Was it form factor dismissal? Was it peer pressure?

Feb 16, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #558 of 709
What is it that you guys like about the AirPods that you didn't like before? This is a really interesting phenomenon.
Was it snootiness? Was it brand prejudice? Was it form factor dismissal? Was it peer pressure?

When I originally bought AirPods in February of 2017 I had been coming off the high of enjoying the Beats Solo3 and Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless, both of which I had bought recently but as a huge Apple fanatic I impulsively bought AirPods for the simple fact that my local Apple Store had them in stock out of sheer luck and at this point it was extremely difficult to find them.

Feb 16, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #559 of 709
Sorry, pressed “reply to thread” too early. To continue:

When directly comparing them to the Solo3 and Momentum 2.0 I didn’t really find them to offer anything over them, especially since the Solo3 also has a W1 chip and is almost just as convenient. After a week I returned them so I only had gotten limited usage, and due to the weather hadn’t gotten a chance to use it for the purpose I bought it for which was my morning runs.

Coming into it without bias this time and without a limited timeframe to test, I came away impressed with the balanced sound which has cleaner mids than the Solo3 and even more clarity than the Momentum (which has a better soundstage and separation, definitely super premium headphones) with my iPhone due to the AirPods’ use of the AAC codec.

They fit well, sound more than adequate, and I’ve been happy to find there’s more to them than how simple they appear at first glance.

Feb 16, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #560 of 709
Sorry, pressed “reply to thread” too early. To continue:

When directly comparing them to the Solo3 and Momentum 2.0 I didn’t really find them to offer anything over them, especially since the Solo3 also has a W1 chip and is almost just as convenient. After a week I returned them so I only had gotten limited usage, and due to the weather hadn’t gotten a chance to use it for the purpose I bought it for which was my morning runs.

Coming into it without bias this time and without a limited timeframe to test, I came away impressed with the balanced sound which has cleaner mids than the Solo3 and even more clarity than the Momentum (which has a better soundstage and separation, definitely super premium headphones) with my iPhone due to the AirPods’ use of the AAC codec.

They fit well, sound more than adequate, and I’ve been happy to find there’s more to them than how simple they appear at first glance.

I have a question; do you have any idea why AirPods have lower volume than all other headphones or iems, wired or wireless? To get the same sense of volume as 50% of other headphones, you must go to 80-85% on the AirPods. 50% on Beats X is 85% on AirPods! I think this is the only problem of the AirPods, because in order to get an adequate volume, at the same time you get some mid-high piercing and little distortion. Being earbuds is not an excuse for getting lower volume since there is no technical reason for a speaker that fires out of your ear to “lose” volume in comparison to a speaker that fires inside of your ear...Seal or no seal, volume should be equal, I guess...

Please share your opinions...

Feb 16, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #561 of 709
I have a question; do you have any idea why AirPods have lower volume than all other headphones or iems, wired or wireless? To get the same sense of volume as 50% of other headphones, you must go to 80-85% on the AirPods. 50% on Beats X is 85% on AirPods! I think this is the only problem of the AirPods, because in order to get an adequate volume, at the same time you get some mid-high piercing and little distortion. Being earbuds is not an excuse for getting lower volume since there is no technical reason for a speaker that fires out of your ear to “lose” volume in comparison to a speaker that fires inside of your ear...Seal or no seal, volume should be equal, I guess...

Please share your opinions...

Lets not forget what AirPods are: two independent earbuds that have to fit a power-efficient DAC, amp, Bluetooth chip, and battery. They can’t fit as large of an amplifier as even wired Bluetooth headphones like the BeatsX (which I found to have a fatiguing treble at the volume level I preferred). I think AirPods get more than loud enough. Over 80% fatigues me quickly, and they begin to noticeably distort at that level. 75% is the optimal listening volume I’ve found for fullness without fatigue.

They’ve been measured to distort at above 90dB and to reach around or over 100dB at max volume, both of which are respectable figures. You really shouldn’t listen at over 88dB as the ear begins to try to protect itself from hearing loss at that level.

Also keep in mind that IEM with tips fit deeper into your ear, and AirPods’ lack of isolation makes the perceived volume lower unless you’re in a quiet room.

Feb 17, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #562 of 709
Lets not forget what AirPods are: two independent earbuds that have to fit a power-efficient DAC, amp, Bluetooth chip, and battery. They can’t fit as large of an amplifier as even wired Bluetooth headphones like the BeatsX (which I found to have a fatiguing treble at the volume level I preferred). I think AirPods get more than loud enough. Over 80% fatigues me quickly, and they begin to noticeably distort at that level. 75% is the optimal listening volume I’ve found for fullness without fatigue.

They’ve been measured to distort at above 90dB and to reach around or over 100dB at max volume, both of which are respectable figures. You really shouldn’t listen at over 88dB as the ear begins to try to protect itself from hearing loss at that level.

Also keep in mind that IEM with tips fit deeper into your ear, and AirPods’ lack of isolation makes the perceived volume lower unless you’re in a quiet room.

If that’s the case, then I guess the same goes for all independent/wire free buds, as the likes of Bragi, Sony etc. But, as far as I know, they are all louder than the AirPods even though their space is ever more limited, since they do not have the protruding microphone and antenna directing to your mouth.

Also I disagree with you about the Beats X and I may recommend you to not just read the reviews of RTings but listen for yourself and create your own opinions coming from your own ears! RTings has a wrong view regarding the highs of the X, since it is impossible to rate perfect its bass, perfect mids, but just good highs. When a speaker has so balanced and well pronounced midrange, it’s absolutely logical to reduce the low highs a little, in order to avoid distortion/sibilance and piercing effects. But there is also a small peak in the high treble in order to maintain air in the presentation. It’s not tuned oddly, just correctly for the particular headphone and a little out of ordinary, but with really good audio results.

Beats X to me are much better than both Solo3 and Studio3. Very very comfy, light, with a really manageable cable. You do not need to occupy a pocket when you don’t use them, just hang them from your neck, but at the same time they are the only ones that are pocketable since they have a flexible and feather like over the neck part of the cable. Beats X are not Beats actually, they are Apple 100%, being the only Beats that use Apple’s proprietary lightning port!..

Feb 17, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #563 of 709
If that’s the case, then I guess the same goes for all independent/wire free buds, as the likes of Bragi, Sony etc. But, as far as I know, they are all louder than the AirPods even though their space is ever more limited, since they do not have the protruding microphone and antenna directing to your mouth.

Also I disagree with you about the Beats X and I may recommend you to not just read the reviews of RTings but listen for yourself and create your own opinions coming from your own ears! RTings has a wrong view regarding the highs of the X, since it is impossible to rate perfect its bass, perfect mids, but just good highs. When a speaker has so balanced and well pronounced midrange, it’s absolutely logical to reduce the low highs a little, in order to avoid distortion/sibilance and piercing effects. But there is also a small peak in the high treble in order to maintain air in the presentation. It’s not tuned oddly, just correctly for the particular headphone and a little out of ordinary, but with really good audio results.

Beats X to me are much better than both Solo3 and Studio3. Very very comfy, light, with a really manageable cable. You do not need to occupy a pocket when you don’t use them, just hang them from your neck, but at the same time they are the only ones that are pocketable since they have a flexible and feather like over the neck part of the cable. Beats X are not Beats actually, they are Apple 100%, being the only Beats that use Apple’s proprietary lightning port!..

I did try and return the BeatsX and while the sound was good you’re right that it’s 100% Apple tuning. Flat bass response with no exaggeration. My main issue with it was the fit as none of the tips were comfortable to me and the cable which produces very noticeable cable noise when used for active/fitness purposes. They are a solid IEM and a no-brainer at their $99 sale price for those not looking to use them for active purposes.

I’m still curious to see what Beats puts out this year. They’re all over the place sound-wise. BeatsX is basically neutral, Solo3 has a ~ 7dB bass boost, and Studio3 has a shaped sound that isn’t bassy nor neutral.

Also, every other wireless IEM uses ear tips which insert deeper in your ears and will make them at least a few decibels louder from fit alone.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #564 of 709
I did try and return the BeatsX and while the sound was good you’re right that it’s 100% Apple tuning. Flat bass response with no exaggeration. My main issue with it was the fit as none of the tips were comfortable to me and the cable which produces very noticeable cable noise when used for active/fitness purposes. They are a solid IEM and a no-brainer at their $99 sale price for those not looking to use them for active purposes.

I’m still curious to see what Beats puts out this year. They’re all over the place sound-wise. BeatsX is basically neutral, Solo3 has a ~ 7dB bass boost, and Studio3 has a shaped sound that isn’t bassy nor neutral.

Also, every other wireless IEM uses ear tips which insert deeper in your ears and will make them at least a few decibels louder from fit alone.

That’s a very interesting comment about the sound of Studio3, a shaped sound neither bassy nor neutral!! Impressive really! To tell you the truth i liked them when I tried briefly but I have problem with full size cans. They all make my ears and head’s sides really hot, especially in summer! And they all feel uncomfortable after 1 hour of listening...Also I never liked all this bulk on my head...

Feb 18, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #566 of 709
I bought a huge bag of foamies many months ago for basically pennies and they fit the Airpods fairly easily. They still fit (and charge) in the case without any problems.

The only issue really is that the sensors stop working as effectively but as I'm using the Airpods with an Android phone rather than Apple you only have Play/Pause available when tapping them. I consider it a small price to pay when I look to the improvement in fit and sound quality.
There’s a video out there on YouTube showing a guy who cut holes in the foamies so there is no functionality lost using the AirPods. I did it and everything works. I can also angle the pods so they’re parallel with my jawline and done hand straight down, which imo make them look kinda silly.

Feb 21, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #567 of 709
That’s a very interesting comment about the sound of Studio3, a shaped sound neither bassy nor neutral!! Impressive really! To tell you the truth i liked them when I tried briefly but I have problem with full size cans. They all make my ears and head’s sides really hot, especially in summer! And they all feel uncomfortable after 1 hour of listening...Also I never liked all this bulk on my head...

I use the Sony Hybrid tips on the Beats X. The fit has improved greatly for me.

Feb 27, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #568 of 709
AirPods have remarkably good sound quality for wireless earbuds. Fit, like with any other headphone, is paramount to hearing the sound as it’s intended.

Feb 27, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #569 of 709
AirPods have remarkably good sound quality for wireless earbuds. Fit, like with any other headphone, is paramount to hearing the sound as it’s intended.

Personally, I am eagerly waiting for the new Apple branded headphones, rumored to get announced later this year...I think the real wireless sound capabilities will be presented there...

Mar 8, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #570 of 709
I hate AirPods. I'm sitting here with four other headphones I'm quite fond of and yet I'm using AirPods. :deadhorse:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back