AirPods
Mar 9, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #571 of 709
The AirPods are funny. They are noticeably worse for sound quality but they’re also the headphones I have to have with me most frequently. They are so convenient. I listen to a lot of podcasts and audiobooks so they are perfect for that use. The mic is good enough for phone calls and they are just *smart*.

I’ve never had good luck with apple earbuds as far as fit goes. For these, I found a reddit post that talked about using nexcare waterproof tape with holes punched out for the sensors. I find this hack gives me a good enough fit that they don’t fall out when I’m working out (flat on my back on the bench or even upside down doing Rocky-style crunches suspended from my pull-up bar). Again, the sound quality for music isn’t great but for what they’re used for - spoken word or workout tunes, they’re the best I’ve found.

Mar 26, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #572 of 709
As much as I like AirPods, I think the ~ 5dB treble boost fatigues my ears. To reach a full level which I find is 70-75% volume, I definitely get fatigued quicker than I’d like — and any lower isn’t high enough for me. That’s one of the advantages of a headphone like the Beats Solo3, which has a 7dB bass boost and a rolled-off upper treble. I can reach a full level at ~ 70% without fatigue. I get why Apple chose this tuning for AirPods as it does create a bright sound that surprisingly works for EDM but the treble is a bit sibilant for those with sensitive ears like me.

Mar 26, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #573 of 709
I do find AirPods to produce a more natural sound than the Solo3 and are overall an upgrade over those $299 on-ear headphones. With a good fit the bass does reach surprisingly low, and the mic is much better for calls than the terrible mic on the Solo3.

Apr 1, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #574 of 709
Man, AirPods are fantastic when they’re fitted properly. Pro tip: I find that positioning the stems so they interlock with the bottom of the earlobe greatly increases the fit and sound quality. (Basically so they naturally fit on the ear.) Taking an extra second in the mirror to make sure they’re perfectly fitted makes a huge difference. Even if I could get better sound quality out of wired IEM’s the convenience of AirPods is way too high, plus they sound better and more consistent than most IEM’s I’ve tried. Once you have no wire at all it’s all but impossible to go back.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #575 of 709
Side note: I just noticed how inconsistent all of the FR measurements for the AirPods are. They’re all very different, which indicates to me that earbuds of this shape are difficult to measure and/or vary widely by fit.

Apple_AirPods_All_-_-_HDM-X%20in%20ear_-_90_20-20k_-_fr_impedance.png

769dd52af1ae2da68706c250b43f5b36.png

07A607EB-1040-4554-A84E-D7DD5E50C3BA.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #576 of 709
BB93D336-77E8-4A21-8F54-6A55EA814BA1.jpeg

Just to demonstrate Apple does care about ruler flat audiophile quality, here’s a reminder of the FR of the 2013 in-ear Apple headphones before they even started caring seriously about audio quality.

Apr 2, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #577 of 709
Man, AirPods are fantastic when they’re fitted properly. Pro tip: I find that positioning the stems so they interlock with the bottom of the earlobe greatly increases the fit and sound quality. (Basically so they naturally fit on the ear.) Taking an extra second in the mirror to make sure they’re perfectly fitted makes a huge difference. Even if I could get better sound quality out of wired IEM’s the convenience of AirPods is way too high, plus they sound better and more consistent than most IEM’s I’ve tried. Once you have no wire at all it’s all but impossible to go back.

Yeah I know. Lol. Bro, tellin ya, check out those spigen locks for $10. You can literally lock them into that position. They stay ther for workouts too when you do that.

I’m all about the Bose these days for workouts and general listening when it’s convenient. But the Bose case doesn’t fit into the jeans pockets very well compared to AirPods.

Apr 2, 2018 at 12:50 AM Post #578 of 709
Yeah I know. Lol. Bro, tellin ya, check out those spigen locks for $10. You can literally lock them into that position. They stay ther for workouts too when you do that.

I’m all about the Bose these days for workouts and general listening when it’s convenient. But the Bose case doesn’t fit into the jeans pockets very well compared to AirPods.

I’d go crazy if I had as many headphones as you do :p. It’s a cool hobby though since every headphone is so different. Do you really like the Bose compared to the AirPods?

I’m gonna look into those Spigens but since I’ve gotten the fit perfect the AirPods barely move. I have no doubt it’s possible to get some better sound characteristics like a better seal for bass but AirPods are fairly natural the way Apple intended.

Apr 2, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #579 of 709
I’d go crazy if I had as many headphones as you do :p. It’s a cool hobby though since every headphone is so different. Do you really like the Bose compared to the AirPods?

I’m gonna look into those Spigens but since I’ve gotten the fit perfect the AirPods barely move. I have no doubt it’s possible to get some better sound characteristics like a better seal for bass but AirPods are fairly natural the way Apple intended.

You already crazy B.

Apr 2, 2018 at 6:57 AM Post #581 of 709
Yup. But already too deep in the hobby to get out. :beerchug:
BeatsX sound is one million times better than AirPods. I use both sets a lot so I am writing this in full knowledge, after thorough testing under all conditions. I like BeatsX a lot, full/rich and balanced sound plus the most comfortable and stable iems I’ve ever used, and I have used many... Finally I cannot deal so much with the lack of bass and the piercing highs of AirPods, it reminds me of old small radios...

Apr 2, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #582 of 709
BeatsX sound is one million times better than AirPods. I use both sets a lot so I am writing this in full knowledge, after thorough testing under all conditions. I like BeatsX a lot, full/rich and balanced sound plus the most comfortable and stable iems I’ve ever used, and I have used many... Finally I cannot deal so much with the lack of bass and the piercing highs of AirPods, it reminds me of old small radios...

LOL that was a quick change from the biggest AirPod fan on here.

I did try BeatsX but disliked the treble and fit. Also if you run with them the cable hits into the back of your neck and produces a lot of cable noise. For those who can get a perfect seal that isn’t painful (medium was the only size that had a good enough seal but hurt my ears) they are good for the price but the wire makes it so they’ll never be as convenient as AirPods.

I do wish the highs on the AirPods were a bit less sibilant as well.

Apr 2, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #583 of 709
I’ve had both for some time, too, and the AirPods definitely sound better *to me*. I don’t have any problems with lack of bass or sibilant treble. I’m guessing it’s a fit issue for you.

Just last night, I was out walking our dog and started playing some music. I thought double tapping on my AirPod would start my audiobook but Lorde’s new album started instead. Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised at how good they sounded even after only listening to music with my better IEMs through my FiiO Q5.

Apr 2, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #584 of 709
Since Airpods nestle in the hollow of your outer ear and don't really couple directly with the ear canal, how they sound depends a lot on the shape of your outer ear. For me, they sound great, but by adjusting their position manually I can make them sound horrible.

Apr 2, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #585 of 709
I’ve had both for some time, too, and the AirPods definitely sound better *to me*. I don’t have any problems with lack of bass or sibilant treble. I’m guessing it’s a fit issue for you.

Just last night, I was out walking our dog and started playing some music. I thought double tapping on my AirPod would start my audiobook but Lorde’s new album started instead. Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised at how good they sounded even after only listening to music with my better IEMs through my FiiO Q5.

But didn’t you hear the much richer mids and full sub bass of the Beats X?? Where is AirPod better? It has nothing to do with fit. AirPod bass is practically non existent in comparison to Beats X or any other in ear for that matter. I still like AirPods for phonecalls and some music listening at home. But what to like from AirPods when I am in the metro with all train noise entering my ears?? I cannot hear any music in this scenario even at 90% volume! Also AirPods’ volume of 90% is equal to BeatsX’ volume of 60%. AirPods at 90% are naturally presenting distortion in the high region especially, which is non existent in BeatsX’ 60% volume! Of course AirPods are more convenient, even though you occupy a pocket of your jeans for their case when you can just hang Beats as a necklace. But in any case wire free is definitely more convenient. But that’s all there is to it. Sound is thin on AirPods! No full impression, no warm sub bass! Nothing to invite you to liking the audio outcome. It’s balanced and actual, but too cold and radio like, IMHO!! I cannot enjoy audio when mids are thin, and that’s my problem with AirPods, as well as the non existent noise isolation. Of course it’s just my opinion of how AirPods sound to my ears...To each his own...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back