AirPods
Apr 19, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #257 of 709
I know. i'm just saying that Apple loves to put overpriced tags and people are always going to fall for their products overlooking other good brands..

There really isn't a better product in this 100% wireless earbud segment.

Apr 19, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #259 of 709
I tried their earlier non sensor counterpart. Same overall shape. They do not fit, but no AirPods accessory I've seen fits in the case without removing. Those are tight quarters in there.

I tried the earlier version also with the same result as you. I'm hoping the version for Airpods is thinner. Otherwise, too much hassle. The AIrpods are all about convenience with acceptable sound.  

Apr 19, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #260 of 709
  I tried the earlier version also with the same result as you. I'm hoping the version for Airpods is thinner. Otherwise, too much hassle. The AIrpods are all about convenience with acceptable sound.  

Yeah. FWIW, those Spigen equivalents I've been talking up are just great for easy on/off and honestly better sound. Everything I disliked about the Earskinz was fixed with the Spigens. They're just easy to throw in the pocket and take like 5 seconds to on/off after a little practice. 

I did get drunk and lose an airpod once because I was being lazy with the on/off and making sure the airpods were back in the case. That was an expensive lesson. 

Apr 20, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #261 of 709
Has anyone tried these? Will the AirPods fit in the charging case with these covers on?

They will fit but the AirPods cover will not close according to folks behind EarSkinz. I've used the EarPods version of these and they unfortunately did stretch as someone mentioned and became painful sitting in my ears than creating any seal.

I ordered the AirPods version which will be shipping end of this month and contacted EarSkinz owner Jon who said they may have addressed the problem.

I do agree with a lot of folks on here AirPods are all about the convenience factor just pop them in wherever you are. I've given BeatsX a go even ended up selling my AirPods contemplating which to stick with and found ultimately going back to AirPods again and again. It's arguably the most frequently used headphone I've owned in years.

Apr 21, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #262 of 709
Agreed. I use them every day. The sound is acceptable - not offensive or truly anemic - and the convenience is just off the hook. I would try Earskinz - I have a pair on my Earpods - if they can come up with a way to allow them to stay on while in the case. otherwise, complicating the Airpods with attachment and removal defeats the point of them. 

Apr 24, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #263 of 709
Has anyone tried just normal cheap sponge foam covers?  I don't have the AirPods yet, but have tried them on the EarPods and they work to a certain extent for a better fit and sound.  I saw this youtube video and he claims they will fit in the case with the foam covers on:  https://youtu.be/NdLKIwEWejc?t=4m

Apr 24, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #264 of 709
Has anyone tried just normal cheap sponge foam covers?  I don't have the AirPods yet, but have tried them on the EarPods and they work to a certain extent for a better fit and sound.  I saw this youtube video and he claims they will fit in the case with the foam covers on:  https://youtu.be/NdLKIwEWejc?t=4m

Nice find! Just ordered the foam and will report back!

Apr 29, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #265 of 709
These are really great.

Apple products are very polarizing so I was apprehensive about getting these with that price tag, but I got tired of having to detach/reattach that stupid dongle to my Soundmagic S018's to my phone and decided to give bluetooth wireless earbuds a try and couldn't believe how expensive they all were. I begrudgingly bought the AirPods because the price was the same or less than other bluetooth earbuds and the design of truly wireless (I didn't want any cords at all) was appealing.

The sound is fine, nothing amazing but nothing awful and flipping around the EQ presets in settings gives them different fake manufactured soundstages for whatever you're listening to.

I tried the spiegen ear hooks to try and get some isolation but they were a pain in the ass to deal with and never felt comfortable. There's not much isolation, but for convenience they work great. I realized I even started using them on things that had a 3.5mm port just because it was so easy.

Not having any wires whatsoever is the best thing about them. They're convenient and that's all I want sometimes.

I still think it's a joke Apple removed the 3.5mm port on their phones and I feel crappy about buying right into their trick, but the AirPods are pretty ****ing great all things considered. The bluetooth audio market at the entry level is a joke and if we're being forced to move to bluetooth I give Apple props for not half assing it even tho they're the reason we're having to give it up in the first place.

At the price point, it seems a lot for not much, but compared to the alternatives in a non-3.5mm jack world where you don't want to carry around a silly dongle, the AirPods are the cream of the crop.

May 1, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #266 of 709
AirPods are really really good with the bass booster eq of Apple Music!! They are getting a big sound with balanced, non ears piercing highs. They are so light, comfortable, small and yet so acceptable sounding buds! No cables at all, no weight covering your ears, nothing pushing in your ear canals! And with the bass booster eq they get this meaty bass and mids which makes them unique really. AirPods is a big moment of creation for Apple!!

May 1, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #267 of 709
AirPods are really really good with the bass booster eq of Apple Music!! They are getting a big sound with balanced, non ears piercing highs. They are so light, comfortable, small and yet so acceptable sounding buds! No cables at all, no weight covering your ears, nothing pushing in your ear canals! And with the bass booster eq they get this meaty bass and mids which makes them unique really. AirPods is a big moment of creation for Apple!!

"Small Speakers" is good also.

May 13, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #268 of 709
So I tried those foam covers. They absolutely do block the sensor. Not really usable out of the box. They do, however, fit in the charging case.

I ended up throwing them away because I didn't like the black + sensor cover. I've been thinking it would be easy to punch a hole in them and make the outside sensor work. There's also a white variant that's less aesthetically jarring. They did sound good.

May 23, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #269 of 709
Are there any other decent audio quality Bluetooth earbuds that don't have a seal that blocks out noise, aren't connected together, and have a mic? I haven't found any that aren't connected and aren't IEM's.

May 28, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #270 of 709
I suppose sound quality is relative. In my AirPods, I hear sucked out mids, anemic bass, and overly energetic treble. EQ solved few of these problems. I use them for listening to podcasts and TV shows, but for serious listening they are not a serious contender. They are a casual product for casual listeners and casual sound. Because my analysis of the acoustic reproduction of sound in podcasts is so very casual, they do perfectly when I use them around the house, while cooking, out and about, and (in one ear only, per CA law) while bicycling. In this capacity, their convenience can't be beat.

As regards sound, keep looking. If convenience recommends these above even the Bose QC series, you are not an audiophile. Even my knockoff K3003i (which got 90-95% of the way there when I a/b'd with the real thing at the harman kardon store in NYC) sound miles better. The QC35 and new sony 1000x thing are both competitive, but it's a lot easier to pack bluetooth and battery into a circumaural can than truly wireless IEMs. Props to Apple for giving us our first truly competitive wireless IEM. It fits a lot of use cases. For most music, though, they disappoint anyone with a serious interest in sound. A used HD600 or Q701 would be a far worthier investment, even with zero amplification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back