AirPods
Dec 6, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #346 of 709
Yes I have zero interest in Tidal. Qobuz however is much better than Apple Music in terms of promoting good music. Apple is much more limited in the range of music they help you discover.

What is good music? The dead jazz scales’ manipulation of the 50s and 60s that Tidal sells?? All new music, experimental pieces of young musicians etc, can be found in Apple Music! Their catalogue is limitless! What is good music, is personal matter, so please do not write that Tidal promotes good music, because I will answer that Tidal promotes dead music. Civilization moves on, takes from the past but moves on... I personally need the furure’s catalogue not the audio consequences of methamphetamyne use of a peculiar guy of 1958 that Tidal promotes in FLAC...

Dec 6, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #347 of 709
As I guessed previously, these “audiophile” “copy/paste” phrases like wider soundstage, better instrument separation etc, are not quantifiable so I don’t know if they have any substantial meaning in the real world. Believe me I have heard many headphones and speakers, and the so called instrument separation and clarity of the AirPods is in really high level. What is clearer on your Bose? Do you hear an instrument or a song’s part on your Bose that you cannot discern on AirPods? Really, I don’t think so... Check the graphs to see for yourself. Mids and highs are quite extended, what exactly is “hidden” to your “trained” ears??

It if you prefer simpler words it is clear that with the AirPods there is much more of an impression that the sound comes from inside my ears (more limited soundstage), and when music gets complex instruments tend to be more mixed with one another (more limited separation).

But honestly it sounds like you have made up you mind already so I don't assume anything anyone says would convince you to change you mind.

Dec 6, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #348 of 709
It if you prefer simpler words it is clear that with the AirPods there is much more of an impression that the sound comes from inside my ears (more limited soundstage), and when music gets complex instruments tend to be more mixed with one another (more limited separation).

But honestly it sounds like you have made up you mind already so I don't assume anything anyone says would convince you to change you mind.

With “audiophiles” you can never get to some sort of firm outcome, just because they are never satisfied! You can read to a forum for a 1000 eur Shure SE846 iem that it is “veiled”!!!:)))) So ok, AirPods present instruments more “mixed” than your Bose! Be happy, move on...

Dec 6, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #349 of 709
With “audiophiles” you can never get to some sort of firm outcome, just because they are never satisfied! You can read to a forum for a 1000 eur Shure SE846 iem that it is “veiled”!!!:)))) So ok, AirPods present instruments more “mixed” than your Bose! Be happy, move on...

It's nothing to do with the resentment your posts express towards audiophiles though (I don't claim being one btw, I am just a casual listener). I have both the AirPods and QC30s, listen to them in different situations, and if sound quality or isolation is the top priority there is no doubt I'll go for the Bose for the reasons I have mentioned (and as I said this doesn't prevent me from really liking the AirPods).

How do you quantify that for you the AirPods sounds as good or better and get a "firm outcome" btw? A frequency response graph tells about the frequency coverage but doesn't describe sound quality, which can only be subjectively described by a listener.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #350 of 709
It's nothing to do with the resentment your posts express towards audiophiles though (I don't claim being one btw, I am just a casual listener). I have both the AirPods and QC30s, listen to them in different situations, and if sound quality or isolation is the top priority there is no doubt I'll go for the Bose for the reasons I have mentioned (and as I said this doesn't prevent me from really liking the AirPods).

How do you quantify that for you the AirPods sounds as good or better and get a "firm outcome" btw? A frequency response graph tells about the frequency coverage but doesn't describe sound quality, which can only be subjectively described by a listener.

A frequency response graph says everything, if you know to analyze it. And it says it all in a scientific and quite objective manner, I should say. But most probably you prefer a foggy and unsubstantiated opinion, in order to not accept that in this world, right now, if there is one company that can produce the Good Enough sound, for all ears and all uses, it’s only Apple. Not any kiosk like Sennheiser or Bose...So, I have the scientific graphs to back up my point of view, but you only have your opinion...

Dec 6, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #351 of 709
But most probably you prefer a foggy and unsubstantiated opinion, in order to not accept that in this world, right now, if there is one company that can produce the Good Enough sound, for all ears and all uses, it’s only Apple. Not any kiosk like Sennheiser or Bose...So, I have the scientific graphs to back up my point of view, but you only have your opinion...

I have been using Apple products since the 90s and am a very loyal customer of theirs to a point I could be labeled fanboy by some people. But this ... is taking it to a whole new level :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #352 of 709
And one more thing, the better clarity and separation that you claim for the Bose in ears, as I also wrote previously, is an illusion caused by the trapped air inside the ear canal. Since there are silicon tips on the nozzle, even without 100% seal, there is always the effect of some blocked air inside your ear. This fact creates the effect of a “dark”, isolated audio chamber. In this chamber, the first and famously fake effect is the one of mids’ thickness. This thickness makes everyone believe that they hear more, clearer, more detailed etc. Just that it’s not real. Because in reality, with open ears, in a live concert or in a studio, mids just do not sound the way that all in ears present them! AirPods sound is the real thing, because it leaves your ears open, combining your music with your surroundings, as happen in all listening experiences of human, from the beginning of the world!... Music is not an isolated experience, but a result of the artist’s work in combination with the listener’s life in that particular moment...

Dec 6, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #354 of 709
Hello all - I use etymotic ER4 XRs day to day and I have a confession to make - I bought air pods to make conference calls for work. More and more I find myself reaching for them for casual music listening.

They are highly competent. Yes the bass is muddy, the details are not perfectly imaged etc. but geez you know for a quick bus ride the convenience and design is right up there. And the carrying case is genius because it’s small enough to carry in my suit jacket without noticing.

Dec 6, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #355 of 709
Hello all - I use etymotic ER4 XRs day to day and I have a confession to make - I bought air pods to make conference calls for work. More and more I find myself reaching for them for casual music listening.

They are highly competent. Yes the bass is muddy, the details are not perfectly imaged etc. but geez you know for a quick bus ride the convenience and design is right up there. And the carrying case is genius because it’s small enough to carry in my suit jacket without noticing.
I completely agree 100% about the muddy base It is so bad I recently picked up a pair of se215 Bluetooth And They sounds so much better Then the Apple airpods Plus the damn airpods Keep falling out of my ears.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2017 at 1:16 AM Post #356 of 709
I completely agree 100% about the muddy base It is so bad I recently picked up a pair of se215 Bluetooth And They sounds so much better Then the Apple airpods Plus the damn airpods Keep falling out of my ears.

I’ve been using the SE215 for 4 years and their bass is muddy and uncontrolled, covering the mids which are falsely thick and on your face. SE215 also has no treble extension at all as well as lacking air in its presentation. AirPods are clean, clear and crispy with a very balanced bass presentation. AirPods are one million times clearer and more airy than Shure. Unfortunately everybody here as usual writes whatever comes to their mind, most probably without having listened critically on any one of the aforementioned headphones...

If AirPods fall out your ears, it’s a problem of your ears, not the AirPods, since they fit well on the 70-80% of human ears. This is your real problem, not that the Shures are better, because they are not by any chance!...

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #357 of 709
This is your real problem, not that the Shures are better, because they are not by any chance!...

Not that I like the SE215 either... but just because you don't like the SE215, doesn't mean someone else will also. Vice versa, just because you like the AirPod doesn't mean other will too. Audio is mostly subjective so people will have varying opinions on different headphones/IEM/earbud.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #358 of 709
Not that I like the SE215 either... but just because you don't like the SE215, doesn't mean someone else will also. Vice versa, just because you like the AirPod doesn't mean other will too. Audio is mostly subjective so people will have varying opinions on different headphones/IEM/earbud.

I agree with you. But many here are not providing an honest and critically thought point of view. They just want to diminish AirPods audio quality, or express their inner problem that AirPods do not fit their out of ordinary ears. If you go all around internet you will read most audio people saying how Shure’s presentation is problematic, lacking every single detail and air in their headphones. And Shure’s only excuse is that due to their iem’s main live concert environment usage, they need to make them blocking noise completely, as well as cut highs completely so that they will not pierce singer’s ears after 3 hours of stage use! So I cannot of course accept that muddy and skewing Shures are better than the crispy AirPods! Because they just are not!

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #360 of 709
I personally find the sound quality on the Airpods is excellent. I do use foamies on mine and they still fit in the case without any problems.

Agree! The more I use them the more they are playing a role where I’m more active and
Mobile and cables would either get in the way or I have no way of storing them safely.

They actually have very accurate and airy imaging - remind me of audio technica 700/900 without the sense of artificiality.

The bass is actually not muddy, it is just not resolved super well but is separated and just Loren prominent (which I assume is part of the customer testing and what consumers like, and who can blame them)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back