Airpods pro
Nov 20, 2019 at 2:33 AM Post #256 of 527
What EQ are you using to increase the sub bass ? What are your setting if I might ask. TIA

I am using Capriccio in my iphoneXS Max. I just bump up the 32hz by 5db, 64Hz by 4db, 128Hz by 3db. I also bump up 8kHz by 5db, 16kHz by 5.5db just to give more airiness on the airpods. For spotify, I use almost the same settings.

Nov 20, 2019 at 4:51 AM Post #257 of 527
My main issue with the AirPods Pro is the flangy sound I get with ANC on when it's bumpy or when I'm walking around. I find it really odd that reviews NEVER mention this. I end up using the APP with ANC off fairly often. As far as I can tell it's due to the APP moving around slightly when it's bumpy or when walking. Do no reviewers use it on the bus or train? or an airplane during turbulence. Happens with every sized tip for me. This doesn't happen with any of the over ears I've used though all the over ears can have that loud thud at times in similar situations.

I'm getting something that sounds similar, but not quite the same.

The ANC seems to get 'confused' by sudden noises or pressure changes. If I'm on a train it works well until a fast train flashes past in the other direction. Then it is all over the place for a couple of seconds. The most annoying one is on the London Underground where the rattling of the doors causes a similar effect. As that rattling is almost constant, ANC makes no sense.

The difference is that I have experienced this in every ANC set I have tried. The APPs are my only set of ANC IEMs, but I have got over-ear headphones (Bose QC35 and B&W PX) which both exhibit a similar effect.

If these are on par with $50-100 wired IEMs I think the APP at $250 is actually great value, considering you get stable wireless tech, good microphone, class leading ANC (as per Rtings testing), a comfortable design and one of the most compact cases around.

Still need to test how they sound though. My Airpods 2 is... not great. The complete lack of sub-bass make hip-hop and EDM especially sound pretty terrible

This is how I feel about them so far. I think they will actually become my most-used headphones because the combination of benefits they offer is so good, but they are obviously not the best at anything individually.

I am a bit of a basshead, so I use Campfire Cascades or IMR R1 Zenith usually. The APPs trump them by being wireless, smaller, better iPhone integration and having ANC but I won't listen to EDM or Hip Hop through them because of the lack of bass. Fortunately, they sound pretty good with the other genres I like, so it isn't too much of a problem.

My only other wireless IEMs are B&O E8s, and I think that the APPs will lead to them being retired. I haven't done a back-to-back test yet, but I think that the APPs sound slightly better if anything, and certainly much better with ANC on. The main difference is that there have been no annoying disconnects of one or both earphones in the 8-10 hours I have used the APPs so far, and that is becoming very common with the E8s.

[merged]

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 20, 2019 at 5:28 AM Post #258 of 527
I am using Capriccio in my iphoneXS Max. I just bump up the 32hz by 5db, 64Hz by 4db, 128Hz by 3db. I also bump up 8kHz by 5db, 16kHz by 5.5db just to give more airiness on the airpods. For spotify, I use almost the same settings.
Thank you

Are you able to use a 3rd party EQ with Spotify?

Spotify EQ does seem very “precise”. How do you know the dB changes with it

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #263 of 527

@FightingRepublic
Stop being a dick. There are phones released this year that still have a headphone jack, like Pixel 3a.
While Airpods definitely deserve their place in this world for being super convenient, and are my 1st choice when it comes to YouTube videos and podcasts ...
A nice pair of wired earphones/headphones will last for much longer time than TWS that have non-replaceable battery.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #264 of 527
@FightingRepublic
Stop being a dick. There are phones released this year that still have a headphone jack, like Pixel 3a.
While Airpods definitely deserve their place in this world for being super convenient, and are my 1st choice when it comes to YouTube videos and podcasts ...
A nice pair of wired earphones/headphones will last for much longer time than TWS that have non-replaceable battery.
Just need greater batter life and better high frequency isolation. Ideally a fit like Jabra 75t would be superb in my books. AirPods can be improved in high frquency noise isolation. Jabra 75t looks better.

I'm starting to suspect that in order for ANC to be effective, it requires decent size area for ambient noise to be let in, and that's what Bose QC20 and AirPods Pro seems to be doing. That's probably the challenge with iem ANC. Can they improve the high frequency isolation and ANC performance at the same time?

Big plus, ANC in a tiny package, and simplicity of usage.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #265 of 527
Just bought them 2 days ago. What Apple has done here is really miraculous. They are the most comfortable and light iems I have ever used, and I have used a lot! The sound is really unique. Bass is exactly where it should be, it’s there, but quite tight and clear letting the rest of the range be presented with extraordinary clarity and air. AirPods pro sound has been deeply studied, as far as I can understand.
The technology which is packed here is beyond any words. Actually it is all in one, everything you may have wanted to enjoy your tunes. ANC in a so tiny package, without any wires, without any headband, without any ear cushions increasing your ears’ temperature and pushing your head!
The anatomy of the ear has also been studied deeply with great results. I have never worn before such iems that just touch the ear canal, without actually entering deep inside, but at the same time creating such a seal and being so stable! We are talking about a product which has been thoroughly thought out, in every small detail. It’s the result of an admirable craftsmanship!
I have the Jabra active 65t, which are not comfortable at all, giving you the sense of trapped air inside your ear, with nozzles that go quite deep and thus disturbing. So really, there is no comparison. Jabra is huge, heavy and quite uncomfortable, offering no ANC as well.
AirPods pro feel like nothing in your ear. You forget you have them on!! This is the biggest win of this product. ANC is not perfect for sure. And yes battery will die in 2 years max. But if you really see what you get here and compare with all the rest, you can understand that they are the best music listening companion!
Of course only on iPhone and only with Apple Music, for the highest possible sound quality.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #266 of 527
Just bought them 2 days ago. What Apple has done here is really miraculous. They are the most comfortable and light iems I have ever used, and I have used a lot! The sound is really unique. Bass is exactly where it should be, it’s there, but quite tight and clear letting the rest of the range be presented with extraordinary clarity and air. AirPods pro sound has been deeply studied, as far as I can understand.
The technology which is packed here is beyond any words. Actually it is all in one, everything you may have wanted to enjoy your tunes. ANC in a so tiny package, without any wires, without any headband, without any ear cushions increasing your ears’ temperature and pushing your head!
The anatomy of the ear has also been studied deeply with great results. I have never worn before such iems that just touch the ear canal, without actually entering deep inside, but at the same time creating such a seal and being so stable! We are talking about a product which has been thoroughly thought out, in every small detail. It’s the result of an admirable craftsmanship!
I have the Jabra active 65t, which are not comfortable at all, giving you the sense of trapped air inside your ear, with nozzles that go quite deep and thus disturbing. So really, there is no comparison. Jabra is huge, heavy and quite uncomfortable, offering no ANC as well.
AirPods pro feel like nothing in your ear. You forget you have them on!! This is the biggest win of this product. ANC is not perfect for sure. And yes battery will die in 2 years max. But if you really see what you get here and compare with all the rest, you can understand that they are the best music listening companion!
Of course only on iPhone and only with Apple Music, for the highest possible sound quality.
It's a nice TW with a step forward in tech, but there are certain things that are not great. In terms of sound quality, to me it's not that clear sounding or sound highly separated like some of the better performing wired iems. Has some warmth to the tonality, not highly clear. Sound stage is avg, but besides some rarities, I find iem sound stage more or less about the same. Imaging is fairly flat with dependency on recordjng characteristic to some degree. Still pretty balanced sounding with not execessive peaks or any bloom.

The ANC cause pressure buildup.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #267 of 527
It's a nice TW with a step forward in tech, but there are certain things that are not great. In terms of sound quality, to me it's not that clear sounding or sound highly separated like some of the better performing wired iems. Has some warmth to the tonality, not highly clear. Sound stage is avg, but besides some rarities, I find iem sound stage more or less about the same. Imaging is fairly flat with dependency on recordjng characteristic to some degree. Still pretty balanced sounding with not execessive peaks or any bloom.

The ANC cause pressure buildup.

Yes you’re right, there is a warmth in the tonality, which was actually a pleasant surprise to me when started listening on them. I have always been liking kind of warm sound, but not to the point of muddying the mids and so on. This is the win of AirPods Pro. They are everything without letting something stand out and spoil the whole balance. There is some warmth but at the same time quite airy and clear, with decent amount of detail. I dare to say, who needs anymore hi end wired, when you got these? I mean if you consider the good ANC in a so tiny package, that you can just put in your jean’s pocket! The lightness, the TW freedom of a so light and literally invisible earphone, to walk around with your music on without being tethered to your device, the comfort for all day usage, the sound, the stability, the hassle free seal, the high quality-all new-cushion like silicon tips (try some Shure or Jabra silicon and you will understand what I mean)...It’s the perfect combination I think, the golden balance of all factors. As I wrote before; it’s quite remarkable how much thought out a product like this can be!

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #268 of 527
After flying today I’m less impressed with the ANC than I was with home noise tests against the Sony WF. However this time the comparison was with B&O H9i, which aren’t normally known for great ANC. The H9i quite obviously blocked much more noise, but given the size and being a 1st gen product, I’m still quite impressed with the ANC of the APP. It certainly didn’t make me regret selling the Sonys as soon as I got the APP.

Nov 22, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #269 of 527
Highly recommend listening to this track on the old Telarc Time Warp CD with Airpods Pro using iPhone X or later.
maybe on Apple Music or Spotify
at 70%, both my ears felt the <40hz energy without audible distortion. A feeling I never got using even larger overhead noise cancellers.

IMG_5592.PNG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back