Airpods pro
Nov 18, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #241 of 527
If these are on par with $50-100 wired IEMs I think the APP at $250 is actually great value, considering you get stable wireless tech, good microphone, class leading ANC (as per Rtings testing), a comfortable design and one of the most compact cases around.

Still need to test how they sound though. My Airpods 2 is... not great. The complete lack of sub-bass make hip-hop and EDM especially sound pretty terrible

It almost makes up for that with a punchy mid-bass, but fitment varies.

Nov 18, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #242 of 527
I understand $250 is a lot for TW, but devices with class leading ANC is pricy. Bose QC20 iem with ANC came out years ago and still price at $250. What has set is apart from other iems was it's ANC performance in an iem.

We can get wired iems cheaper, but good ANC in such a small formfactor isn't really out there. Maybe in the future there will be more TW with same or better level of ANC that brings the prices down.

Nov 18, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #243 of 527
I understand $250 is a lot for TW, but devices with class leading ANC is pricy. Bose QC20 iem with ANC came out years ago and still price at $250. What has set is apart from other iems was it's ANC performance in an iem.

We can get wired iems cheaper, but good ANC in such a small formfactor isn't really out there. Maybe in the future there will be more TW with same or better level of ANC that brings the prices down.

It also helps that AirPods Pro has excellent ANC. If it’s like the implementation in Beats’ products it’s the best on the market at preserving overall sound quality.

Nov 18, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #244 of 527
It also helps that AirPods Pro has excellent ANC. If it’s like the implementation in Beats’ products it’s the best on the market at preserving overall sound quality.
People may think full-sized ANC cans should be worth more due to more being involved in terms of parts. I don't see it that way. I see good ANC performance in an iem a step forward in tech. Compact and lightweight is much more convenient. Fitting all the features in such small housing is a greater challenge.

I would rather carry around such a pocketable device than carry a headphone. And now I can use it in noisy flights.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #245 of 527
People may think full-sized ANC cans should be worth more due to more being involved in terms of parts. I don't see it that way. I see good ANC performance in an iem a step forward in tech. Compact and lightweight is much more convenient. Fitting all the features in such small housing is a greater challenge.

The engineering behind AirPods Pro is amazing. I’m still surprised they were able to shrink the form factor while adding more features and keeping the battery life with ANC enabled at 4.5 hours.

Nov 18, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #247 of 527
Not mention the complete elimination of microphonics.
Microphics is really an issue if the cable hangs down, etc.. it would be nightmare for runners. For walking, some iems do come with shirt clip that keep the cable from swinging, which causes heavy microphonics.

As for bone conduction from stomping the foot on the ground during running, there is no way around that. A better seal will not eliminate that. The vibration trickles down to the tiny hairs that converts vibrations to sound I bet. Some reviewers think seal will elimate bone conduction, which is false.

Nov 18, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #248 of 527
Microphics is really an issue if the cable hangs down, etc.. it would be nightmare for runners. For walking, some iems do come with shirt clip that keep the cable from swinging, which causes heavy microphonics.

As for bone conduction from stomping the foot on the ground during running, there is no way around that. A better seal will not eliminate that. The vibration trickles down to the tiny hairs that converts vibrations to sound I bet. Some reviewers think seal will elimate bone conduction, which is false.

Yes, I understand what microphonics is and what causes it, hence my comment that the APP doesn't have a microphonics issue. They also have almost no bone conduction problem. I can't decide if that's because they don't seal completely, if it's mostly eliminated by the ANC, or a little of both, but these are VERY quiet.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #249 of 527
Yes, I understand what microphonics is and what causes it, hence my comment that the APP doesn't have a microphonics issue. They also have almost no bone conduction problem. I can't decide if that's because they don't seal completely, if it's mostly eliminated by the ANC, or a little of both, but these are VERY quiet.
Agreed, and this is the reason I sold off my Sony WF-1000XM3 ear buds, along with the much better ANC on the APP. Wind and body noise are greatly reduced compared to the Sony, making them much better for running. They're also more stable and feel very unlikely to come out. The Sony had to be really shoved in to seal well and make the ANC ideal while the APP feel like they're barely in, but the optimizer confirms they have a good seal.

With the ANC, next to a vacuum, dryer, and oven exhaust fan, I had to confirm each time that the Sony were actually on and had ANC on because sometimes they let in so much sound.

Nov 18, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #250 of 527
hejj everyone, really short question. is it possible to use only one airpod pro eg the left one while keepint the other one in the case? i am asking because i often only use one iem to listen to music on the job, because i am sitting at a desk where on the left the window is and on the right are my colleagues, this way i am not blocking myself from them.

how do phone, noise cancelling etc. work with only one bud in?

Thanks
Phil

Nov 18, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #251 of 527
hejj everyone, really short question. is it possible to use only one airpod pro eg the left one while keepint the other one in the case? i am asking because i often only use one iem to listen to music on the job, because i am sitting at a desk where on the left the window is and on the right are my colleagues, this way i am not blocking myself from them.

how do phone, noise cancelling etc. work with only one bud in?

Thanks
Phil
Each earpiece will work independently. So, no need to use a specific master earpiece for calls like those with master and slave system. I always thought you had to have the newest Qualcomm Soc with such feature in Android for each earpiece to work independently, but Airpods proves it's not required.

With only one side on the ear, ANC is deactivated, which makes sense. Why would you need ANC active with one ear exposed to ambient noise?

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #252 of 527
Each earpiece will work independently. So, no need to use a specific master earpiece for calls like those with master and slave system. I always thought you had to have the newest Qualcomm Soc with such feature in Android for each earpiece to work independently, but Airpods proves it's not required.

With only one side on the ear, ANC is deactivated, which makes sense. Why would you need ANC active with one ear exposed to ambient noise?
it is possible to enable ANC for one side if you use Apple products. Accessibility settings.

Nov 19, 2019 at 12:59 AM Post #253 of 527
Can we talk about the Rtings meassurements? Achieving -19.5db in the bass range with ANC on is absolutely insane, and indicates these are more than good enough for airplanes -- in fact, it's about on par with Bose over-ears!

I suspect Youtube reviewers stating the XF-1000xm3 is better than Airpods Pro only compared in coffee shops. That kind of noise obviously matter too, but let's be honest, when commuters like me wants good ANC, we are mostly concerned with the abillity to block the bass range. At least I am.

Rtings concludes: «The Apple AirPods Pro offer similar performance to the Sony WF-1000XM3 Truly Wireless but have much better ANC.»

Yeah, that about does it for me. My only concern at this point is the slight dip in mid/upper bass, paired with a slight mid boost. I usually prefer a moderate V-shape (love the sound of my wired B&W P7, although upper bass is definitely too much for my liking -- treble is excellent though). How does everyone like the sound signature of the APP?

I own both the Airpods Pro and WF-1000XM3. I also own a bose qc 35 for ANC comparison. And I have tested both the APP and Sony's just recently in a 3hr flight. From my experience, Airpods Pro ANC is better in blocking low freq noise like airplane engine noise, aircon compressor noise, etc. WF-1000XM3 is better in blocking high feq sound like human voice, cry of a baby, and the like. Hence, in a coffee shop, the sony's would be better because most of the noise will come from human voices. But not by much. It is also weird that I feel more ANC pressure in the Airpods than with the Sony's and this gives me more impression that ANC in airpods is better because I can feel it more even with the open back design. Compared to the Bose QC 35, the airpods block out aircon noise better. Unfortunately, this is the only noise I have tested them side by side because ever since I purchased my airpods pro, I have never used my bose anymore. Also, the ANC tests I have done above where ANC only. No music. Once you put music into it at least about 70% volume, you can't hear a thing in airpods pro. Even high freq noises. You can't hear people talking, even people talking in front of you.

For the sound quality, I agree that the airpods pro lack a bit of sub bass. I like a V-shaped sound so maybe that's why. So I compensate this with an EQ and then I am already happy. So happy that I have not used my Sony's and Bose's anymore.

Yes, ANC is deactivated with only one side on the ear. But did you know you can enable ANC with only one side on the ear? Go to accessibility - airpods pro - turn on ANC on one airpods only

You get a bit of microphonics when the ANC is turned off. But not with ANC and Transparency on. Try singing with the music or talking with ANC and Transparency On. It is a lot different than with ANC off. With ANC off, it feels like a regular IEM where when you talk, you can hear yourself inside your head. Not the case with ANC and Transparency On. I think the mic inside it compensates for that. What a technology.

[merged]

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 19, 2019 at 3:43 AM Post #254 of 527

Thanks for the fast answer! They seem to be a good choice for my working-environement if i can use only one side indipendent.

Nov 19, 2019 at 7:08 AM Post #255 of 527
I own both the Airpods Pro and WF-1000XM3. I also own a bose qc 35 for ANC comparison. And I have tested both the APP and Sony's just recently in a 3hr flight. From my experience, Airpods Pro ANC is better in blocking low freq noise like airplane engine noise, aircon compressor noise, etc. WF-1000XM3 is better in blocking high feq sound like human voice, cry of a baby, and the like. Hence, in a coffee shop, the sony's would be better because most of the noise will come from human voices. But not by much. It is also weird that I feel more ANC pressure in the Airpods than with the Sony's and this gives me more impression that ANC in airpods is better because I can feel it more even with the open back design. Compared to the Bose QC 35, the airpods block out aircon noise better. Unfortunately, this is the only noise I have tested them side by side because ever since I purchased my airpods pro, I have never used my bose anymore. Also, the ANC tests I have done above where ANC only. No music. Once you put music into it at least about 70% volume, you can't hear a thing in airpods pro. Even high freq noises. You can't hear people talking, even people talking in front of you.

For the sound quality, I agree that the airpods pro lack a bit of sub bass. I like a V-shaped sound so maybe that's why. So I compensate this with an EQ and then I am already happy. So happy that I have not used my Sony's and Bose's anymore.
What EQ are you using to increase the sub bass ? What are your setting if I might ask. TIA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back