Airpods pro
Nov 15, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #226 of 527
I wrote this earlier. I had issues with volume not getting high enough. Sometimes I noticed low volume upon intial connection to the phone, and I had to diconnect and reconnect to get to normal volume level. If even after this the volume still isn't loud enough, get your hearing checked for hearing loss.

There has been a firmware update, and it seems only though Apple products firmware gets automatically updated. There is no manual way to update firmware. I was unfortunately on an Android device.

I still cannot understand why people with Android devices buy AirPods. If you have both Android and iPhone, better just use AirPods with your iPhone. But if you just have Android device, what’s the meaning of buying AirPods? Nowadays there are many equally high quality TW earbuds that work perfectly on Android devices. AirPods are made for the iPhone and even sounding best only with Apple Music. I mean it’s logical since it is an Apple product, with a proprietary chip, it is made to operate at its best within the Apple ecosystem. The absence of delay, the distance from the source device, the sound quality, the actual flawless connection, it’s all happening at its highest only on Apple’s own products. Even just AAC, it cannot get the same audio quality on Android, as it is well known! I guess it would be pretty obvious for an Android user that they can never get the best quality out of the AirPods. They can get much better results with some Samsung buds, or Google, Sennheiser etc!

Nov 16, 2019 at 1:03 AM Post #227 of 527
Nowadays there are many equally high quality TW earbuds that work perfectly on Android devices

I don't think you'll find something with the same tiny size and feather like weight, similar or better battery life, efficient ANC, equivalent or better mic, and equivalent or better sound quality. You'll probably have to compromise on at least one of these things (for example with the Sonys you will gain on sound quality and battery life, but have something more bulky and less comfortable with a poorer mic for calls).

Now, I wouldn't get them if it was to use exclusively with non-Apple devices, but strictly speaking if someone likes their balance between the above criteria they don't necessarily have a life for like alternative.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2019 at 3:05 AM Post #228 of 527
I don't think you'll find something with the same tiny size and feather like weight, similar or better battery life, efficient ANC, equivalent or better mic, and equivalent or better sound quality. You'll probably have to compromise on at least one of these things (for example with the Sonys you will gain on sound quality and battery life, but have something more bulky and less comfortable with a poorer mic for calls).

Now, I wouldn't get them if it was to use exclusively with non-Apple devices, but strictly speaking if someone likes their balance between the above criteria they don't necessarily have a life for like alternative.

Are you saying the mics on your AirPods pro are good?

The ones on mine are trash. For calls, I always reach for the AirPods (non-pro) or the Bose NC700.

Nov 16, 2019 at 5:38 AM Post #229 of 527
Are you saying the mics on your AirPods pro are good?

The ones on mine are trash. For calls, I always reach for the AirPods (non-pro) or the Bose NC700.

I don’t have the pros (still considering whether to get them), but I wasn’t under the impression people were particularly complaining about the mics. Is it that much of a downgrade compared to the original AirPods (which I have and are pretty good from that perspective)?

Nov 16, 2019 at 5:51 AM Post #230 of 527
I don’t have the pros (still considering whether to get them), but I wasn’t under the impression people were particularly complaining about the mics. Is it that much of a downgrade compared to the original AirPods (which I have and are pretty good from that perspective)?
Well, there are comparison tests online demonstrating.

I've personally had issues with the Pro mics during calls. Also, mics on the Pro are not at the end of the stem like the earlier versions. I don't believe this makes a whole lot of difference since the mic is still quite a distance away from the mouth.

People on the other end in general don't hear my voice well if I use anything other than wired iems with inline mic. Wired iem mics are placed much closer to the mouth.

I also have Jabra 65t and I get more complaints on the Pro. Jabra mic work better for me.

Reviews praise the AirPods Pro mic like it's the best mic out there. Jabras are known to have good performing mics as well.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #231 of 527
https://support.apple.com/guide/watch/noise-apd00a43a9cb/watchos

It’d be nice if they had something like this built into AirPods Pro (and Apple’s other headphones). Having a decibel monitor on Apple Watch is great, but doesn’t help headphone users. Still, I’m glad Apple is moving in the right direction in regards to hearing protection. I’ve been meaning to request they add something like this. I suppose it’d be possible to calibrate and make a standard that monitors the actual decibel levels of headphones, even if it’s only Apple/Beats.

Nov 16, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #232 of 527
They have this in the health app on iOS actually. I was happy when I noticed it a while back. Realized I listen at even lower volumes than I expected even though I’m on public transportation all the time. Noise canceling really helps a lot. I definitely did listen slightly louder at times when I had nice wired IEMs. But probably not enough to be dangerous.
F1635A9A-6242-4303-B413-A1856441710A.png

Nov 16, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #233 of 527
9C2ACC54-8658-45AA-A9B7-1CE58D5D1458.png
They have this in the health app on iOS actually. I was happy when I noticed it a while back. Realized I listen at even lower volumes than I expected even though I’m on public transportation all the time. Noise canceling really helps a lot. I definitely did listen slightly louder at times when I had nice wired IEMs. But probably not enough to be dangerous.

No. Way.

This would be a game changer if it became more prominent. This is the first I’m hearing of it, and I’ve been looking for (and requesting) a feature like this for a while.

They really need to build upon this feature and advertise it more to promote responsible listening levels. Thankfully, there is also a decibel meter buried in the menus that (almost) updates in real-time.

Having the calibrations done for Apple/Beats headphones opens up a world of possibilities. The next step should be a setting that can limit decibel levels to a specific level. (It’s been proven headphones sound better if the volume is kept under a certain level since the ear tries to protect itself once levels exceed 90dB, which negatively impacts the clarity and can lead to hearing loss.)

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2019 at 6:47 AM Post #234 of 527
Can we talk about the Rtings meassurements? Achieving -19.5db in the bass range with ANC on is absolutely insane, and indicates these are more than good enough for airplanes -- in fact, it's about on par with Bose over-ears!

I suspect Youtube reviewers stating the XF-1000xm3 is better than Airpods Pro only compared in coffee shops. That kind of noise obviously matter too, but let's be honest, when commuters like me wants good ANC, we are mostly concerned with the abillity to block the bass range. At least I am.

Rtings concludes: «The Apple AirPods Pro offer similar performance to the Sony WF-1000XM3 Truly Wireless but have much better ANC.»

Yeah, that about does it for me. My only concern at this point is the slight dip in mid/upper bass, paired with a slight mid boost. I usually prefer a moderate V-shape (love the sound of my wired B&W P7, although upper bass is definitely too much for my liking -- treble is excellent though). How does everyone like the sound signature of the APP?

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #235 of 527
Can we talk about the Rtings meassurements? Achieving -19.5db in the bass range with ANC on is absolutely insane, and indicates these are more than good enough for airplanes -- in fact, it's about on par with Bose over-ears!

I suspect Youtube reviewers stating the XF-1000xm3 is better than Airpods Pro only compared in coffee shops. That kind of noise obviously matter too, but let's be honest, when commuters like me wants good ANC, we are mostly concerned with the abillity to block the bass range. At least I am.

Rtings concludes: «The Apple AirPods Pro offer similar performance to the Sony WF-1000XM3 Truly Wireless but have much better ANC.»

Yeah, that about does it for me. My only concern at this point is the slight dip in mid/upper bass, paired with a slight mid boost. I usually prefer a moderate V-shape (love the sound of my wired B&W P7, although upper bass is definitely too much for my liking -- treble is excellent though). How does everyone like the sound signature of the APP?
Exactly, reviewers are not aware of what ANC should do. ANC is most useful with low frequency motor noises. Sony is probably better at reducing high frequency noise, but not by much. I don't believe they are completely isolated like BA iems.

I never understood why people think XM3 ANC is better. I clearly noticed it didn't sound like real ANC, not really doing much.

I recently tried Bose NC 700 ANC, Bose isn't that good.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #236 of 527
Just like with modern-day Beats headphones, audiophiles blow the sound quality out of proportion and purchase less mainstream brands just to feel superior even when the products themselves aren’t superior. There really isn’t a compelling reason to purchase the WF-1000XM3 other than not wanting to be seen with AirPods.

Nov 18, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #237 of 527
One of my friends recently returned from a trip and wore the AirPods Pro exclusively on a 2.5 hour flight. They were extremely impressed by the ANC capabilities in the din of air travel. For reference, their usual headphones while flying are the Bose QuietComfort 20 for sleeping and the Sony WH-1000XM3/Bose Headphones 700 while awake. That has me excited to try my own on my next flight, which is looking to be CanJam NYC in Feb.

Nov 18, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #238 of 527
Just like with modern-day Beats headphones, audiophiles blow the sound quality out of proportion and purchase less mainstream brands just to feel superior even when the products themselves aren’t superior. There really isn’t a compelling reason to purchase the WF-1000XM3 other than not wanting to be seen with AirPods.

I’m not sure someone choosing Sony over Apple is really purchasing a less mainstream brand. I think that you can buy higher quality boutique gear that sounds better than most mainstream gear, and pay a premium for it. Whether the price is worth the rapidly vanishing law of returns is a personal choice. I have the Air Pod Pros and they are a solid headphone for their use case (small, easy to use with my Apple gear, comfortable, good but not great sound quality). They are probably my least audiophile headphone I own but the one I use the most since getting.

Nov 18, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #239 of 527
If these are on par with $50-100 wired IEMs I think the APP at $250 is actually great value, considering you get stable wireless tech, good microphone, class leading ANC (as per Rtings testing), a comfortable design and one of the most compact cases around.

Still need to test how they sound though. My Airpods 2 is... not great. The complete lack of sub-bass make hip-hop and EDM especially sound pretty terrible

Nov 18, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #240 of 527
My main issue with the AirPods Pro is the flangy sound I get with ANC on when it's bumpy or when I'm walking around. I find it really odd that reviews NEVER mention this. I end up using the APP with ANC off fairly often. As far as I can tell it's due to the APP moving around slightly when it's bumpy or when walking. Do no reviewers use it on the bus or train? or an airplane during turbulence. Happens with every sized tip for me. This doesn't happen with any of the over ears I've used though all the over ears can have that loud thud at times in similar situations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back