AirPods Max
May 18, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #5,551 of 5,629
Cool, thanks for the info. I was mainly interested in using them wired with the headphone jacks built into modern game controllers. These APMs have really proven to be a useful, versatile headphone.
They really shine when using them wired (though they are also fantastic when used wireless). Just be sure to buy the official Apple cable. It's the only one known to work.

May 19, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #5,552 of 5,629
Has anyone had the problem where the headphones track your postion of your phone even though you having tracking turned off? I have to turn it on, then off for it to stop, which only lasts a couple of days.

May 19, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #5,553 of 5,629
Has anyone had the problem where the headphones track your postion of your phone even though you having tracking turned off? I have to turn it on, then off for it to stop, which only lasts a couple of days.
Fortunately not… since head tracking is not what I want during listening to music.
Maybe try to remove the APM and re-pair it

May 19, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #5,555 of 5,629
Will be interested in measurements
Measurements for APM aren't too useful cos of their DSP that adjusts based on fit and surroundings. Plenty of places to have a listen though. They are good for what they do, and with Spatial Audio make for a decently fun listen on the go.

Jun 10, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #5,556 of 5,629
Measurements for APM aren't too useful cos of their DSP that adjusts based on fit and surroundings. Plenty of places to have a listen though. They are good for what they do, and with Spatial Audio make for a decently fun listen on the go.
+1

Jude posted the measurements from his fancy rig that emulates human anatomy and made a note that the measurements were not reflecting what he and others were hearing.

Particularly the visual dip in the lower treble which shows up in most measurements as not being audible to him. (ASR says otherwise).

Still, the takeaway from Jude is that these are designed for humans and apparently may have special sauce when interacting with actual humans vs measure rigs.

Jul 20, 2023 at 6:17 AM Post #5,558 of 5,629
Trying to find this discussion topic here on this thread or elsewhere.

I find Apple losses to sound much better then dolby atmos specifically with Airpod Max and Airpod Pro.
Is this also the general consensus or is there some that actually think Dolby Atmos is better with both Airpod Max and Airpod Pro compared to Lossless?

I understand from listening to a technical podcast that Airpod Max and Airpod Pro do not do Binaural audio for Atmos hence it sounds so compressed.

Now for AV Cinema systems i think Dolby Atmos is clearly better and sounds great depending on recording on Apple Music.

I download all the Music from Apple Music. Initially I downloaded in Atmos but after A/B ing several Albums I found Losses to sound much much better with Airpod Max and Airpod Pro. So i re downloaded everything in Lossless Stereo.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2023 at 6:45 AM Post #5,559 of 5,629
Trying to find this discussion topic here on this thread or elsewhere.

I find Apple losses to sound much better then dolby atmos specifically with Airpod Max and Airpod Pro.
Is this also the general consensus or is there some that actually think Dolby Atmos is better with both Airpod Max and Airpod Pro compared to Lossless?

I understand from listening to a technical podcast that Airpod Max and Airpod Pro do not do Binaural audio for Atmos hence it sounds so compressed.

Now for AV Cinema systems i think Dolby Atmos is clearly better and sounds great depending on recording on Apple Music.

I download all the Music from Apple Music. Initially I downloaded in Atmos but after A/B ing several Albums I found Losses to sound much much better with Airpod Max and Airpod Pro. So i re downloaded everything in Lossless Stereo.
I own both the Max and the Pro 2, and generally leave the Atmos/Spatial Audio setting turned off. I've found that some tracks do sound wonderful with Spatial Audio on. However, many others (including some that are mastered for Atmos) sound terrible to me.

Others will probably say just the opposite. Which is why it's great that we have the option to turn it on or off :)

Jul 20, 2023 at 7:27 AM Post #5,560 of 5,629
It'll be over Ultra Wideband radios if they do. UWB has vast untapped revelatory product use potential far beyond how it’s used in AirTags. I’m not just saying this as a geek, the head of apple audio products has been hinting that “they want more bandwidth than BT for lossless” in a very wink wink nudge nudge kind of way…
A manufacturer is already launching this technology in Canada initially along with Software operating system called Cosmos which lives on a chip in the headphone. The headphones have much better ultra wide band antennas in them which makes them now acceptable as a product to launch.

Jul 20, 2023 at 7:28 AM Post #5,561 of 5,629
Beyond a short try I was not really interested in what I consider a pure gimmick for music (nice for films though) and deactivated Spatial as well as head tracking for music immediately. Especially head tracking... what a useless experience... I don't *want* music to sound like it comes from (the direction of) my iPhone.

Jul 20, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #5,562 of 5,629
I own both the Max and the Pro 2, and generally leave the Atmos/Spatial Audio setting turned off. I've found that some tracks do sound wonderful with Spatial Audio on. However, many others (including some that are mastered for Atmos) sound terrible to me.

Others will probably say just the opposite. Which is why it's great that we have the option to turn it on or off :)
Although it is great having option to turn on and off it is extremely inconvenient if you listen to Downloaded Apple Music content like i do. You can only have 1 version downloaded = Lossless or Atmos.

It took me 4 hours to re-download everything in Lossless having discovered I prefer it over Atmos.

Jul 20, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #5,563 of 5,629
Beyond a short try I was not really interested in what I consider a pure gimmick for music (nice for films though) and deactivated Spatial as well as head tracking for music immediately. Especially head tracking... what a useless experience... I don't *want* music to sound like it comes from (the direction of) my iPhone.
That head tracking feature I turned off straight away. Glad it is possible to turn it off atleast

Jul 20, 2023 at 7:40 AM Post #5,564 of 5,629
That head tracking feature I turned off straight away. Glad it is possible to turn it off atleast
Yes... at least there's an option for that. I just don't understand how that could have been enabled by default... I really don't see any point beyond a tech demo

Jul 20, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #5,565 of 5,629
For AppleTV i also do not use Spatial Audio/Atmos with Airpod Max.

Tested for Atmos Content on AppleTV+, iTunes Movies and Apple Music [on AppleTV4k latest generation}.

If Spatial Audio/Atmos turned On:
1. Vocals sound very thin.
2. Vocals tonality and depth is totally lost.
3. There is hardly any left right sound separation.
4. Everything sounds more compressed and lower resolution.

Turn off Spatial Audio/Atmos, all the above issues are the opposite:
1. Vocals sound fuller.
2. Vocals have greater tonality and depth.
3. Much better left right sound separation.
4. Everything sounds higher resolution and less compressed.

The above points are for AirpodMax/Pro only.

For Atmos AV Cinema systems i much much prefer ATMOS. Sounds excellent.

Strangely I think Spatial Audio/Atmos turned On via iOS iPHONE and iOS iPAD sounds excellent. I leave it ON.

There must be some compromise or limitation on APPLETV4K either in hardware or software to deliver the same excellent ATMOS/SPATIAL AUDIO from iOS devices.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back