AirPods Max
Jan 6, 2023 at 8:18 PM Post #5,521 of 5,629
I really came to appreciate the APM over the past couple of years except some of the ergonomics which is mostly due to my large noggin. The Etymotic ER4 has been my reference sound for a long time and with the "Bass Reducer" EQ on the APP sound more than decent enough, which makes sense looking at the measurement. But as we all know the ER4 sound is notoriously bass-light and hence most might disagree with me.

Also nowadays I'm digging spatial audio. I have tried various DSP solutions over the years, both software and hardware, and I think spatial audio sounds great although it's still not going to be everyone's cup of tea, just like any other virtualization DSP sound.

Jan 6, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #5,522 of 5,629
I really came to appreciate the APM over the past couple of years except some of the ergonomics which is mostly due to my large noggin. The Etymotic ER4 has been my reference sound for a long time and with the "Bass Reducer" EQ on the APP sound more than decent enough, which makes sense looking at the measurement. But as we all know the ER4 sound is notoriously bass-light and hence most might disagree with me.

Also nowadays I'm digging spatial audio. I have tried various DSP solutions over the years, both software and hardware, and I think spatial audio sounds great although it's still not going to be everyone's cup of tea, just like any other virtualization DSP sound.
I had the APM (just sold them a month ago) and have the ER4SR. I thought the APM were a bit bass heavy and needed more energy in the 2-6khz region. The bass reducer EQ helped, but they still lacked in the 2-6khz area.

The ER4SR block out more noise than the APM and I liked the sound of the ER4SR more so I started to feel that the APM was kind of pointless for me, but I held on to them for a little while. Then I decided to trade my AirPods Pro in towards the AirPods Pro 2, and I like the sound of those more than the APM, so the APM became even more pointless for me to keep. So I ended up selling the APM.

The ER4 definitely won’t be everyone’s cup of tea because of the deep insertion and the low level of bass, but I appreciate what they do. I have been using my APP2’s more lately though because of the convenience and they sound pretty damn good too.

Jan 7, 2023 at 4:41 AM Post #5,523 of 5,629
Thinking about the ER4 gives me the same strange feeling down my back as thinking about Grado does… uncomfortable, a sound signature that is the polar opposite of my preferences… yet both have a devoted following. I’m definitely not with the bass-shy crew obviously :wink:

That aside I don’t feel the APM has anything missing in the lower treble region. To the contrary, that’s a bit hard on my ears (same with the original HomePod btw). Bruno can understand that it’s level of bass may not be to everyone’s taste. The APP2 might have the better balance here, but the APM‘s heft is my reason for keeping them.

Jan 9, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #5,524 of 5,629
I don't think it really lacks in the treble region even though it's a bit more subdued than the S/SR. I think it sounds closer to the ER4P(T) which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Being full sized headphones the APM have a certain style of presentation different enough from the APP and the Etys which is also why I'm keeping all of them. Also my launch day APP is unfortunately still working far too well to justify the new one, as of now anyway.

However I have gotten rid of pretty much all my other headphones except some beaters and haven't really had a desire to buy a new pair in a while even though there are so many new wonderful headphones. I think some of is is because I'm almost always using spatial audio as well.

Jan 9, 2023 at 8:02 AM Post #5,525 of 5,629
I don't think it really lacks in the treble region even though it's a bit more subdued than the S/SR. I think it sounds closer to the ER4P(T) which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Being full sized headphones the APM have a certain style of presentation different enough from the APP and the Etys which is also why I'm keeping all of them. Also my launch day APP is unfortunately still working far too well to justify the new one, as of now anyway.

However I have gotten rid of pretty much all my other headphones except some beaters and haven't really had a desire to buy a new pair in a while even though there are so many new wonderful headphones. I think some of is is because I'm almost always using spatial audio as well.

This is almost exactly where I am too.

I bought the original APP on day one. I like everything they do, but the sound quality was only ever average for me.

I didn't bother with the APM until a few months ago when I happened to listen to them in an Apple Store and was blown away by how good they sounded. I had planned on buying the B&W Px8, but the APM just sound better for my use case.

I will get around to buying APP2 as everyone seems to agree they are a big step up from the originals, but I think APM will remain my main travel headphones, just using APP2 when I need something truly portable

Jan 9, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #5,526 of 5,629
This is almost exactly where I am too.

I bought the original APP on day one. I like everything they do, but the sound quality was only ever average for me.

I didn't bother with the APM until a few months ago when I happened to listen to them in an Apple Store and was blown away by how good they sounded. I had planned on buying the B&W Px8, but the APM just sound better for my use case.

I will get around to buying APP2 as everyone seems to agree they are a big step up from the originals, but I think APM will remain my main travel headphones, just using APP2 when I need something truly portable
Hmmm. Why you dont use your own ears? It's you who listens them, right?
They are big step up from originals, it's easy you to test; just listen APP2.

APP2 is better than APM. In my opinion.

Jan 9, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #5,527 of 5,629

Agreed. APP2 > APM

Jan 9, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #5,528 of 5,629

The reason I haven't rushed out to get them so far is that the APM do so well with the extended bass that I enjoy for listening to EDM whilst travelling. That's the one element that the APP2 doesn't seem like it will be able to equal/better the APM in.

I definitely take your point though! I missed out on two years of owning the APM because I didn't bother listening to them, and now I'm doing the same with the APP2. They are definitely next on my list.

Jan 10, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #5,530 of 5,629
It seems that Mark Gurman has discarded the option of APM2 this year…
Yes, together with most other product updates in favor of a VR headset nobody needs... but at least an update to the original HomePod seems on the way. Not that I use my two units much...
Anyway, at least the APP2 update was out before they focused everything on a thing I can't see any use for. On the other hand it might be interesting... maybe they do have a good idea what that AR/VR thing might actually be good for.

Jan 10, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #5,531 of 5,629
Interesting reading the APP2 vs APM comparisons. I own both, both are outstanding imo and have displaced all my other headphones / iems. The APM sound better to my ears, the bass ‘feel’ and therefore depth just hits different for me on the APM and I prefer the overall balance. I think the APP2 are the better buy and better all rounder and if I had to choose own I would have them, but for listening at home and especially for the Apple TV, the APM are my preferred option.

Jan 10, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #5,532 of 5,629
Interesting reading the APP2 vs APM comparisons. I own both, both are outstanding imo and have displaced all my other headphones / iems. The APM sound better to my ears, the bass ‘feel’ and therefore depth just hits different for me on the APM and I prefer the overall balance. I think the APP2 are the better buy and better all rounder and if I had to choose own I would have them, but for listening at home and especially for the Apple TV, the APM are my preferred option.
The APP2’s sound better to my ears.

Jan 11, 2023 at 2:36 AM Post #5,533 of 5,629
Pretty much my line of thought, although I still use the M-100 much more than either APM or APP2.

I think the APP2 is more correct, while still very engaging sounding, but the APM is even more fun. And that’s what I value in headphones: having fun with my kind of music. I don’t need a microscope for that anymore.

Jan 11, 2023 at 3:30 AM Post #5,534 of 5,629
APM had one downside why i sold them; they leak sound outside too much. And now APP2 offer same(or better) SQ and much more better comfort. To me.
So i don't miss APM. :)

Jan 11, 2023 at 6:40 AM Post #5,535 of 5,629
I own both and find the comparisons humorous. They are 2 different sound types in my opinion.
The Max are closer to reproducing listening in a room with 2 speakers.
If I had to chose one I would go with the APP2 for comfort and portability but would never suggest they sound better than a full sized premium headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back