AirPods Max
Aug 20, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #5,417 of 5,629
I’ll say it again, but I feel in terms of SQ the APM is in the same league as the AKG K371.
I understand. What I wonder is, do more expensive closed backs such as Focal Elegia sound better than Airpods Max (when being powered by Apple dongle)
And what kind of sound quality difference there is. Because Airpods Max is much more portable and convenient to use, has noise cancelling and a lot of utilies. Picking a wired closed back for outdoor usage only makes sense if it sounds massively better than Airpods Max.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #5,419 of 5,629
I understand. What I wonder is, do more expensive closed backs such as Focal Elegia sound better than Airpods Max (when being powered by Apple dongle)
And what kind of sound quality difference there is. Because Airpods Max is much more portable and convenient to use, has noise cancelling and a lot of utilies. Picking a wired closed back for outdoor usage only makes sense if it sounds massively better than Airpods Max.
I’ve never heard any Focal other than my Elear with Clear pads. If the APM matches a frequency response that you like then maybe try them out. I like them a lot and they have become my most used headphone. I find them to sound exactly how I’d want them to sound with just a little boost between 2-8k, which is possible with the Headphone Accommodations menu in iOS. Bass is good, but not bloated and doesn’t bleed into the mids. Mids aren’t recessed after a little EQ, and I find the treble to be smooth enough and actually has good extension. No complaints after a little EQ. I don’t feel that I’m missing anything by using Bluetooth either.

Aug 25, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #5,420 of 5,629
I have a pair of APM and wanted to improve my music experience so I picked up a pair of Drop + Senn HD8XX.
I have been comparing them back and forth with the HD8XX wired using a USB-C to 3.5mm dongle/3.5mm to 1/4” Jack adapter and the APM is wireless bluetooth listening on an iPad Pro M1.
The problem is I am only hearing a very small improvement in detail and soundstage on the HD8XX.
They both sound great but I feel like I don’t need the HD8XX with the SQ so close. I must be doing something wrong. Am I?

Thanks!

Aug 25, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #5,421 of 5,629
I have a pair of APM and wanted to improve my music experience so I picked up a pair of Drop + Senn HD8XX.
I have been comparing them back and forth with the HD8XX wired using a USB-C to 3.5mm dongle/3.5mm to 1/4” Jack adapter and the APM is wireless bluetooth listening on an iPad Pro M1.
The problem is I am only hearing a very small improvement in detail and soundstage on the HD8XX.
They both sound great but I feel like I don’t need the HD8XX with the SQ so close. I must be doing something wrong. Am I?

Thanks!
Nothing wrong with liking the APM. The HD8xx probably deserves a little better than the apple dongle though.

I enjoy my Elear with Clear pads a lot, but I still also enjoy my APM.

Aug 25, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #5,423 of 5,629
I'm trying to justify the huge price tag of the HD8XX. I guess I should try it with an amp first.
I wouldn’t go too crazy, but I’m sure the apple dongle isn’t really good enough for something like the HD8xx.

Aug 28, 2022 at 6:23 AM Post #5,424 of 5,629
The canopy mesh headband on mine got completely loosen, as a result both iron bar parts touch on the head and it is rather disturbing. I will check with Apple if the issue is accepted for a replacement but it generally seems this mesh headband is not that durable after all.

Aug 28, 2022 at 7:29 AM Post #5,425 of 5,629
The canopy mesh headband on mine got completely loosen, as a result both iron bar parts touch on the head and it is rather disturbing. I will check with Apple if the issue is accepted for a replacement but it generally seems this mesh headband is not that durable after all.

Looking at some demo samples that's also what I feared, and I think that mine is arriving to that point as well.

Aug 30, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #5,427 of 5,629
Sound of the Airpods Max

- Is there a sound quality difference between iOS devices and non-iOS devices (Windows and Android) ?

- Is there a sound quality difference between various iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, Mac) ?

Aug 30, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #5,428 of 5,629
Sound of the Airpods Max

- Is there a sound quality difference between iOS devices and non-iOS devices (Windows and Android) ?

- Is there a sound quality difference between various iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, Mac) ?
I don’t hear a difference with the APM between my iPhone 13Pro or my M1 MacBook Air. I haven’t used them with any non Apple devices.

Aug 31, 2022 at 3:09 AM Post #5,429 of 5,629
Sound of the Airpods Max

As I’ve heard/read some Android devices have subpar AAC implementations, which could affect the sound of the APM with those as a source.

Aug 31, 2022 at 6:15 AM Post #5,430 of 5,629
As I’ve heard/read some Android devices have subpar AAC implementations, which could affect the sound of the APM with those as a source.
I have experienced this is the past with OnePlus brand phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back