AirPods Max
Jan 15, 2022 at 3:13 AM Post #5,116 of 5,629
My AirPod Max seems to have developed a fault - keeps losing its Bluetooth connection and making a clicking noise in the left ear cup. I have tried resetting etc but does not solve the problem. Anyone else have this issue?
Hi, I have a similar problem. If I touch the left ear cup there’s a click and the sound/Bluetooth cuts/ drops. It then cuts out on the right side. Despite rebooting several times I still have the problem. I’ve now taken them to Apple and they sent them off for repair. I was hoping they would swop them out but they said they hadn’t come across this before! I will update when I get them back.

Jan 15, 2022 at 4:49 AM Post #5,117 of 5,629
Article on What Hi Fi with Apple Audio Executive indicates a higher bandwidth audio communication may be coming compared to Bluetooth.

I am guessing it will require new chipsets. Maybe in Airpod Max next generation
I don’t know what the H1 ship actually supports, but I’ve always wondered why apple does not simply support airplay 2 on the APM. Not that I miss anything (CD quality would give me a warm fuzzy feeling but I ignore anything beyond anyway), but that would seem like a logical next step, integrating the APM with the other Apple audio options. Actually I was rather surprised when the APM did not support it…

But as with spatial audio, I don’t miss anything. It sounds really good, especially given it’s possible use cases, and is a fixed part in my now very reduced rotation (next to the M-100, which I still love). I seldom use my Austrian Audio Hi-X60, my D9200 and my DT700… although I don’t want to give them away.

Jan 15, 2022 at 6:31 AM Post #5,118 of 5,629
Hi, I have a similar problem. If I touch the left ear cup there’s a click and the sound/Bluetooth cuts/ drops. It then cuts out on the right side. Despite rebooting several times I still have the problem. I’ve now taken them to Apple and they sent them off for repair. I was hoping they would swop them out but they said they hadn’t come across this before! I will update when I get them back.
Amazon have replaced mine free of charge - the replacements sound different in a good way as well - which I did not expect. it sounds like yours have the same fault that I experienced (also seen some other reports of the fault on the internet so surprised Apple not aware of it ). I would expect Apple to replace - good luck with this.

Jan 16, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #5,119 of 5,629
With the APM having now been on the market for more than a year, how is battery life for those who bought them when they were first released?

Jan 16, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #5,120 of 5,629
Spatial audio is available... just not in Apple Music for whatever reason?? Surprisingly Youtube supports Spatial Audio..

Screenshot 2022-01-14 at 10.32.34 AM.png
I had the same problem. Spatialise audio never worked with Apple Music.

But it is VERY strange. I just read the last couple of pages in this thread this morning where people were mentioning the strange decision from Apple not to allow Apple Music to use Spatial Audio. It worked from other sources, like YouTube.

Now, just a minute ago, I was listening to Apple Music while doing some random work on my MacBook Pro M1 with my APM and suddenly the music stopped - and started playing again. In the middle of a track... and now Spatialise Audio os ON for Apple Music. Don't ask me what just happened...I didn't change anything in settings.

Jan 16, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #5,121 of 5,629
I run an old 2017 12" MacBook on old software 10.13.6, both of which predate spatial audio. Yet listening to The Mandalorian with Earpods 3 on DisneyPlus, it is clearly playing in spatial. There is no toggle that I can find. On my iPhone 12 running iOS 14.4, there is a toggle for Spatial on Earpods 3, which is how I confirmed the MacBook is indeed playing Spatial. No head tracking though for either.

Interestingly, there is a timing error using the Earpods 3 which I don't remember from using APMs a year ago with these same devices (although I only tried movies briefly). Lips move after I hear the dialog. Worse on the MacBook than the iPhone. Speech sync is fine from the device speakers. Seems somehow the Airpods 3 seem synched for real speakers in a movie theater where moviegoers are sitting some distance from the screen and you have to allow for the difference between the speed of sound and basically instant light transmission from the screen. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Jan 16, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #5,122 of 5,629
I had the same problem. Spatialise audio never worked with Apple Music.

But it is VERY strange. I just read the last couple of pages in this thread this morning where people were mentioning the strange decision from Apple not to allow Apple Music to use Spatial Audio. It worked from other sources, like YouTube.

Now, just a minute ago, I was listening to Apple Music while doing some random work on my MacBook Pro M1 with my APM and suddenly the music stopped - and started playing again. In the middle of a track... and now Spatialise Audio os ON for Apple Music. Don't ask me what just happened...I didn't change anything in settings.
On my MacBook Air M1, with Apple Music, it shows "spatialise audio not available", it is greyed out, but on the left there is a permanent tick, somehow showing that the feature is on but cannot get changed. I don't know if it is actually on or not, but it's true that I cannot hear any difference on stereo tracks between my iPhone with fixed spatialise stereo on and the sound of Apple Music on the MBA. On the other hand, on Safari-YouTube, it shows spatialise stereo as available and able to get toggled on/off.

Jan 16, 2022 at 11:41 PM Post #5,123 of 5,629
With the APM having now been on the market for more than a year, how is battery life for those who bought them when they were first released?
I've had mine for about 8 months and I'd say the battery life seems pretty close to what it was new but it is kind of hard to judge. Let's just say I haven't noticed any major decrease in capacity. I rarely take them down to 0% charge but I don't constantly charge them either so the batteries get a good workout.

Jan 17, 2022 at 12:20 AM Post #5,124 of 5,629
I've had mine for about 8 months and I'd say the battery life seems pretty close to what it was new but it is kind of hard to judge. Let's just say I haven't noticed any major decrease in capacity. I rarely take them down to 0% charge but I don't constantly charge them either so the batteries get a good workout.
I was amongst the first few to order them. Same experience here. I charge them maybe once every few days, usually just a quick top up and not to full capacity since I haven't been travelling at all this past year. Really just for commute.

Jan 18, 2022 at 4:51 AM Post #5,125 of 5,629
I don’t know what the H1 ship actually supports, but I’ve always wondered why apple does not simply support airplay 2 on the APM. Not that I miss anything (CD quality would give me a warm fuzzy feeling but I ignore anything beyond anyway), but that would seem like a logical next step, integrating the APM with the other Apple audio options. Actually I was rather surprised when the APM did not support it…

But as with spatial audio, I don’t miss anything. It sounds really good, especially given it’s possible use cases, and is a fixed part in my now very reduced rotation (next to the M-100, which I still love). I seldom use my Austrian Audio Hi-X60, my D9200 and my DT700… although I don’t want to give them away.
The article interviews the head of Audio for Apple. He admitted the need for more bandwidth required which is limited from Bluetooth. Also he alluded that something might be in the works. Thats why many think a technology better then Bluetooth will be launched by Apple. My guess is it will be new chip based.

Jan 18, 2022 at 6:57 AM Post #5,126 of 5,629
The article interviews the head of Audio for Apple. He admitted the need for more bandwidth required which is limited from Bluetooth. Also he alluded that something might be in the works. Thats why many think a technology better then Bluetooth will be launched by Apple. My guess is it will be new chip based.
Yes, I’ve read that article. But since the frequency channels did not change (ok, Wi-Fi is getting new protocols but new frequencies is not that common). So maybe the H1 is already able to do the hardware part and a firmware update could be enough. This is pure speculation of course… and I’d not expect a new APM release too soon.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #5,127 of 5,629
Yes, I’ve read that article. But since the frequency channels did not change (ok, Wi-Fi is getting new protocols but new frequencies is not that common). So maybe the H1 is already ablehnte do the hardware part and a firmware update could be enough. This is pure speculation of course… and I’d not expect a new APM release too soon.
I hope that is possible. Would be fantastic to offer higher bandwidth via firmware update on current product s

Jan 25, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #5,128 of 5,629
It’s funny how this issue is all over the internet yet Apple haven’t heard of it before 🙄

I have similar problems and will contact Apple about it this week. Sometimes when I adjust the headpones there is an electric click sound and they turn off and come back again after a second or so. Sometimes only on one side.

After this happens they seem to sound a bit different like it’s affecting the noise cancelling or adaptive EQ. Mostly affecting the bass I think. On a few occations only on one side which makes the balance sound a bit off.

A reboot fixes this until it happens again which can be ten minutes later or a few hours later.

If I don’t touch them or adjust them they’re usually fine but it has happened on it’s own or by me just moving my head a few times.

Edit: I've had them for about two weeks so they're pretty much brand new.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022 at 7:57 AM Post #5,129 of 5,629
It’s funny how this issue is all over the internet yet Apple haven’t heard of it before 🙄

I have similar problems and will contact Apple about it this week. Sometimes when I adjust the headpones there is an electric click sound and they turn off and come back again after a second or so. Sometimes only on one side.

After this happens they seem to sound a bit different like it’s affecting the noise cancelling or adaptive EQ. Mostly affecting the bass I think. On a few occations only on one side which makes the balance sound a bit off.

A reboot fixes this until it happens again which can be ten minutes later or a few hours later.

If I don’t touch them or adjust them they’re usually fine but it has happened on it’s own or by me just moving my head a few times.

Edit: I've had them for about two weeks so they're pretty much brand new.
This is a fault with APM - had the same which got worse over time to the point they were unusable - eventually replaced & new ones working fine at the moment.

Jan 25, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #5,130 of 5,629
This is a fault with APM - had the same which got worse over time to the point they were unusable - eventually replaced & new ones working fine at the moment.
I think it's been there since I got them but it happened like one or two times a day so I didn't think much about it but over the last two days it's been more frequent which leads me to think it's the hardware and not just a software issue. I've read about some people going through several headphones with various issues. Hopefully I'm not that unlucky and will get the repaired or replaced because I really like them when they work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back