AirPods Max
Sep 13, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #4,831 of 5,629
Does anyone know if spatial audio is sopported on Macbook Pro 2018 running Big Sur 12.5.2 in apps like AppleTV and how to display if multi channel audio is active on Mac
Spatial Audio for Apple Music is supported on that device, however, there is no 3D head tracking capabilities or video support. That will be a feature on Monterey, but I'm not on the beta for that, nor do I know what devices will support 3D head tracking unfortunately.

Sep 13, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #4,832 of 5,629
Have subscribed to Apple One now and watched "The Servant" on Apple TV 4k with beta TVOS.
It's showing Atmos now in the Airpod Max info screen on Apple TV 4k.
And sound is really great - crystal clear and also effects and music seem to be even more refined and directed than the "usual" multichannel input from Amazon Prime and also better than the same content coming from Macbook Pro yesterday (biased?).
Can of course also vary with the recording but for now quite happy with what I get from that solution.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #4,834 of 5,629
This one might temper the joy a bit: https://www.reddit.com/r/appletv/comments/ny6yt5/spatial_audio_is_disabled_while_sharing
Would be really awesome to be able to watch movies while the kids are sleeping.
Sure, head tracking is not possible simultaneously with two heads but I think that Bluetooth is the real limitation.
Interesting.
Yep head tracking is somehow a nice gimmick but somehow also a bit finicky to deal with as it seems to need re calibration by pressing Pause and Play once I moved and returned to the couch.

Regarding Bluetooth limitations, do you have any insight how the spatial information is handled?
I suppose it's inside of an aac container and then decoded afterwards?
No clue if there are like Bluetooth bandwidth limitations sending the same containers to 2 parallel AirPods? Potentially the handshake handling is the actual issue...
... and after all it might be solved in the final release...

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #4,835 of 5,629
I'm far from an expert, but audio sharing (aka dual audio on Android) seems to be a Bluetooth >5.0 feature, so both headphones get the same data from the BT chip. The 3D/Surround algorithms run on the device itself and not on the headphones and even if the device had the power to compute that for two headphones simultaneously, it is limited by the BT chip.
But: Virtual Surround and mirroring on two headphones at the same time should work in my opinion (w/o head tracking but with fixed center position..).

We will know soon with the official release :)

Sep 13, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #4,836 of 5,629
Unfortunately only in German but who is interested can use Google Chrome with translate function - some report about Atmos to become the new standard after Stereo - might be a bit biased but Apple being one of the forerunners wouldn't be the first time.
Though the AirPods might not fully substitute real loudspeakers, they bring some idea and experience to a larger audience.
Additionally pushing the spreading of this standard in their music service.

https://www.faz.net/aktuell/technik...ert-dolby-atmos-fuer-musikalben-17529262.html

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #4,838 of 5,629
Haha that's from MacRumors, they photoshoped it.

Sep 15, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #4,840 of 5,629
How do you check what the latest firmware is?
What is the latest firmware as of today?
Does APPLETV4K Atmos only work on beta TVOS currently? I know TVOS15 is out Sep20th.
Atmos on AppleTV 4k requires TVos 15. If you're on an iPhone: settings > general > about > AirPods Max will display the current firmware. What shows on mine right now is version 3E756. Firmwares download automatically, the exact mechanism in which they do is kind of unknown.

Sep 15, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #4,841 of 5,629
Atmos on AppleTV 4k requires TVos 15. If you're on an iPhone: settings > general > about > AirPods Max will display the current firmware. What shows on mine right now is version 3E756. Firmwares download automatically, the exact mechanism in which they do is kind of unknown.
Ok. Wow just received. I am not on Beta and impressed already. Listening to Apple TV+ “SERVANT”.

THANK you

Sep 15, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #4,845 of 5,629
428850B8-ED67-4ABE-B350-885DBD6F0677.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back