AirPods Max
Sep 8, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #4,816 of 5,629
Sep 8, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #4,817 of 5,629
Does Apple TV support any additional codecs or is it limited to AAC@256kbps like iOS?
24/48 is the maximum as far as I know.
On my TVOS beta there seem to be some incompatibilities with streaming apps - I can start Tidal but no sound is coming out when playing songs.
Amazon Music seems to be limited to the standard non HD version - at least no HD is displayed on start screen and the usual codec informations are not displayed when playing songs.
Apple Music though is working fine with lossless content up to 24/48 and Atmos (where no additional bit rate is displayed)

Attachments

• CFAB9FEE-80E8-45BD-BD82-0B984AC1941A.jpeg
    CFAB9FEE-80E8-45BD-BD82-0B984AC1941A.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 8296171C-FCDB-4E8C-88EC-3230BB23449F.jpeg
    8296171C-FCDB-4E8C-88EC-3230BB23449F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • CDF789D9-D08A-49DE-9138-E25C79FCEB93.jpeg
    CDF789D9-D08A-49DE-9138-E25C79FCEB93.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Sep 8, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #4,818 of 5,629
I again have to say that I am surprised about how much I am actually enjoying the Airpod Max for watching movies and casual music listening mobile in and around the house.
While of course it won't survive A-B contest against serious gear it somehow feels like a much better price value considering how versatile these are and how they sound.
Movies really create some cinema atmosphere for me and the U shape signature brings nice rumble and thump.
Pop, EDM, Rock sound considerably good for non critical listening.
The ANC is really great and the pass through mode too.
That can is honestly a surprise for me

Sep 9, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #4,819 of 5,629
I again have to say that I am surprised about how much I am actually enjoying the Airpod Max for watching movies and casual music listening mobile in and around the house.
While of course it won't survive A-B contest against serious gear it somehow feels like a much better price value considering how versatile these are and how they sound.
Movies really create some cinema atmosphere for me and the U shape signature brings nice rumble and thump.
Pop, EDM, Rock sound considerably good for non critical listening.
The ANC is really great and the pass through mode too.
That can is honestly a surprise for me
I felt similarly and posted about it a few pages back. I haven't sold off my TOTL gear or anything but I do still find myself pretty well satisfied with the overall AirPods Max experience.

Sep 9, 2021 at 2:11 AM Post #4,820 of 5,629
24/48 is the maximum as far as I know.
On my TVOS beta there seem to be some incompatibilities with streaming apps - I can start Tidal but no sound is coming out when playing songs.
Amazon Music seems to be limited to the standard non HD version - at least no HD is displayed on start screen and the usual codec informations are not displayed when playing songs.
Apple Music though is working fine with lossless content up to 24/48 and Atmos (where no additional bit rate is displayed)
I'm pretty sure ALAC is getting converted to AAC@256kbps.
Found this: https://www.macrumors.com/2021/05/17/airpods-max-no-direct-lossless-lightning-support/

Sep 9, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #4,822 of 5,629
How is "spatialize stereo"?
Just a gimmick or something useful?

spatialize-stereo.jpg

PS. That's different from "spatial-audio"

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #4,823 of 5,629
Just a gimmick or something useful?

spatialize-stereo.jpg
PS. That's different from "spatial-audio"
I talked about this a little bit when it comes to sound signature. There is a slight change in sound signature with it as bass doesn't sound as textured and there is the slightest pinna gain added on. That said, the actual effect itself is kind of a straight line of audio that rotates about as you turn your head. It works, but definitely doesn't sound entirely 3D.

Sep 9, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #4,824 of 5,629
How does it sound with Prime?
I have to say it's similar to what @tinyman392 is describing.
I find the film music to be more Immersive than the actual movie effects tbh.
There is some room feeling and very nice rumble and thump but what I am missing a bit is effects going from front to rear etc.
Can of course also depend on the film mix
I will play some Apple Atmos film sequence again e.g from TENET but from my memory it wasn't more Immersive than e.g Doom Patrol on Amazon Prime.

Edit: just watched some mins of TENET on Apple TV bought in ITunes and it seems more Immersive with effects like shots and noises coming from behind you left and right rear positions...
Will check Amazon Prime later once again...

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #4,825 of 5,629
I have to say it's similar to what @tinyman392 is describing.
I find the film music to be more Immersive than the actual movie effects tbh.
There is some room feeling and very nice rumble and thump but what I am missing a bit is effects going from front to rear etc.
Can of course also depend on the film mix
I will play some Apple Atmos film sequence again e.g from TENET but from my memory it wasn't more Immersive than e.g Doom Patrol on Amazon Prime.

Edit: just watched some mins of TENET on Apple TV bought in ITunes and it seems more Immersive with effects like shots and noises coming from behind you left and right rear positions...
Will check Amazon Prime later once again...
Many thanks. I am interested in this experience.
please let us know. I have not purchased AppleTV4k yet. Just saving up.

Sep 9, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #4,826 of 5,629
Many thanks. I am interested in this experience.
please let us know. I have not purchased AppleTV4k yet. Just saving up.
U can find cheap used ones - got a 2nd one for roof floor for 90 Eur.
Old generation 4k model 32 GB is sufficient

Sep 12, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #4,827 of 5,629
Does anyone know if spatial audio is sopported on Macbook Pro 2018 running Big Sur 12.5.2 in apps like AppleTV and how to display if multi channel audio is active on Mac

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2021 at 1:50 AM Post #4,828 of 5,629
Does anyone know if spatial audio is sopported on Macbook Pro 2018 running Big Sur 12.5.2 in apps like AppleTV and how to display if multi channel audio is active on Mac
I do not think it works on any current MacBook Pro / Air models. But hopefully it will be implemented in the next M1X MacBooks.

Sep 13, 2021 at 2:08 AM Post #4,829 of 5,629
I do not think it works on any current MacBook Pro / Air models. But hopefully it will be implemented in the next M1X MacBooks.
Watching AppleTV+ "The Servant" sounded quite decent yesterday but I am not sure if it's implemented yet due to missing controls saying spatial audio is active or not (a dedicated menu for the Airpod Max is on the other hand available in BigSur).

And isn't Apple themselves saying it should work?

Though they re talking only about "built-in speakers" - would be a strange caveat 🙄

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212182

Attachments

• AD10BBA2-B84E-420B-820D-8CB7619AF68A.jpeg
    AD10BBA2-B84E-420B-820D-8CB7619AF68A.jpeg
    732.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 13, 2021 at 6:50 AM Post #4,830 of 5,629

Spatialise stereo is amazing to me. I can hear so much further into the music, and it is 'out of my head.' if I switch between that and off/stereo, stereo sounds flat and cardboard comparatively. There's no music I prefer with it off and most of the time it seems better than tracks mixed in atmos, but if atmos catches on that'll change I hope. Listening with APM/APP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back