AirPods Max
Jun 8, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #4,231 of 5,629
Tom Sawyer from Rush sounds great for me in Dolby Atmos. I love this Song since 30 years and it is an adventure to discover it in this new version. BTW does anyone know why not the whole Moving Pictures Album is in Dolby Atmos? Only Tom Sawyer and Limelight? Will the Other Songs follow?

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #4,232 of 5,629
Tom Sawyer from Rush sounds great for me in Dolby Atmos. I love this Song since 30 years and it is an adventure to discover it in this new version. BTW does anyone know why not the whole Moving Pictures Album is in Dolby Atmos? Only Tom Sawyer and Limelight? Will the Other Songs follow?

With those older albums they would need to go back re-mix/master them for Dolby Atmos. While it makes sense to do a brand new album in that, making an older album doesn't gain as much financially unless it was an outstanding album. So with the Apple Music's Dolby Atmos there are very few full albums that got the treatment and more singles and hits that got the treatment. That said, do expect more to come, but I wouldn't expect full, older albums to get the treatment.

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #4,236 of 5,629
Can we force the update or is just when on charge?
Put the headphone on charge, connected with your iPhone (certainly out of their case) and wait for some time. Normally after you put them back in their case and then out again they should be updated. There is no way to force firmware updates on the headphones. Just use them and they will be updated automatically.

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #4,238 of 5,629
Mine updated just a few seconds after taking them out of their case! When I took them out I checked and they had the old firmware. I left them on a desk for few secs and then put them on my head, checked again and they had been updated. No differences in audio quality, same old…I miss a little placebo effect though:))

Jun 8, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #4,239 of 5,629
I am curious how the Dolby Atmos works. Are they just running masters through software that adds space and dynamics? This reminds me of the “8D audio” videos on YouTube that have become popular. On paper it sounds like a gimmick, not sure how it sounds on AirPods or Beats yet :wink:.

I am excited about the prospect of lossless though. I’ll definitely be listening to lossless on my EL-8 Titanium and Hi-Fi car stereo. Even if it’s mostly placebo I think this is the gear that would benefit most where there is a noticeable difference. I remember Amazon Music HD sounding amazing in my car, and of course I was using Tidal as far back as the V-MODA M-100 days. It just opens up the bass range for impact and definition with added clarity at the top end, and improved imaging/separation.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #4,240 of 5,629
Can someone please check for me the following:

When hearing a Song in Dolby Atmos, for example Tom Sawyer from Rush on iPhone, And then changing between the spatial audio and regular version by swiping from the top right of the screen to get your volume slider, long pressing on it, and hitting the Spatial Audio button. Then you have a Short interruption, and you hear a big difference in the Version of the Song, when the Spatial Audio is off.

Then please do the same with the Live-Videoalbum of The Cure‘s Anniversary Concert in Hyde Park 2018. It has also the Dolby Atmos Sign, but there is absolutely no difference when turning Sptaial Audio on of off.

Jun 8, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #4,241 of 5,629
I am curious how the Dolby Atmos works. Are they just running masters through software that adds space and dynamics? This reminds me of the “8D audio” videos on YouTube that have become popular. On paper it sounds like a gimmick, not sure how it sounds on AirPods or Beats yet :wink:.

I am excited about the prospect of lossless though. I’ll definitely be listening to lossless on my EL-8 Titanium and Hi-Fi car stereo. Even if it’s mostly placebo I think this is the gear that would benefit most where there is a noticeable difference. I remember Amazon Music HD sounding amazing in my car, and of course I was using Tidal as far back as the V-MODA M-100 days. It just opens up the bass range for impact and definition with added clarity at the top end, and improved imaging/separation.
That's a good question. I believe they are adding space and dynamics to the recording, similar to the 8D audio videos you see on YouTube. In iOS 15 you'll add in head tracking as well to get a much better sense of space. But with the way they are now, I get no sense of forward and backward, just left and right. So most of the Atmos tracks I've heard do improve imaging and separation by reducing the bass body which also in turn improves bass texturing and detail. Though how some things are mixed cause some instrumentals to drop out and some vocals to get kind of shrill (on my Euclid anyways).
Can someone please check for me the following:

When hearing a Song in Dolby Atmos, for example Tom Sawyer from Rush on iPhone, And then changing between the spatial audio and regular version by swiping from the top right of the screen to get your volume slider, long pressing on it, and hitting the Spatial Audio button. Then you have a Short interruption, and you hear a big difference in the Version of the Song, when the Spatial Audio is off.

Then please do the same with the Live-Videoalbum of The Cure‘s Anniversary Concert in Hyde Park 2018. It has also the Dolby Atmos Sign, but there is absolutely no difference when turning Sptaial Audio on of off.
So in the first example you definitely are switching between the Dolby Atmos and normal versions of the song. In the second example, you may have downloaded and offline version of the song already, in which case you have to delete the downloaded song to do the comparison. You can tell this as the now playing screen will also tell you wether or not Atmos is activated as it'll say it right above the play/pause button (and below the scrubber).

Jun 8, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #4,242 of 5,629
I turned on “Higher Power” by Coldplay in Dolby Atmos on my Beats Solo3 fully expecting to be blown away.

I’m a little disappointed to say the least. It seems like a gimmicky software effect on first impression. Maybe it would work better on an over-ear headphone but the sense of space just feels artificial. I do feel like I can hear more detail/separation, but at the same time lead vocals and other objects seem to have less clarity. I’ll have to run it through Powerbeats Pro and AirPods as well to get a better sense of its capability. I figured using Apple-designed headphones would give the best impression of how it’s meant to be heard, although I could also test on Audeze Mobius (maybe even with 3D enabled for added effect :sweat_smile:).

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #4,243 of 5,629
I turned on “Higher Power” by Coldplay in Dolby Atmos on my Beats Solo3 fully expecting to be blown away.

I’m a little disappointed to say the least. It seems like a gimmicky software effect on first impression. Maybe it would work better on an over-ear headphone but the sense of space just feels artificial. I do feel like I can hear more detail/separation, but at the same time lead vocals and other objects seem to have less clarity. I’ll have to run it through Powerbeats Pro and AirPods as well to get a better sense of its capability. I figured using Apple-designed headphones would give the best impression of how it’s meant to be heard, although I could also test on Audeze Mobius (maybe even with 3D enabled for added effect :sweat_smile:.
...maybe it's Coldplay...😱

Jun 8, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #4,244 of 5,629
I’m a little disappointed to say the least. It seems like a gimmicky software effect on first impression.
Yeah, testing this now as well. Hit and miss actually. I feel like this is another tool offered to musicians, which if they use properly, can lead to good results. But artifically enabling it on all music categorically, may not yield wanted results.

Jun 8, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #4,245 of 5,629
...maybe it's Coldplay...😱
I’m listening to “Your Power” by Billie Eilish, which would be a track that I’d expect to be meticulously crafted for Dolby Atmos, and I get a similar impression. It sounds fine when there aren’t vocals, but it’s still a night-and-day difference from listening to the same track on my EL-8 Titanium. I just feel the artificial sense of space detracts from clarity in some ways. I also wouldn’t expect this to work all that well on on-ear or even in-ear headphones, so AirPods Max is probably the best example of what Dolby Atmos is supposed to sound like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back