AirPods Max
Jun 8, 2021 at 2:57 AM Post #4,216 of 5,629
Finally have access to Atmos. Can confirm that on iOS 14.6, there is no head tracking with the APM. So nothing really special with the APM at the moment as all headphones will technically work with it.

The Atmos tracks are definitely recorded quieter with a bit more dynamic range than the original, which may create major volume spikes if you go from a track with Atmos to one that doesn’t. I’m kind of forced to turn on sound check to deal with that (I listen with my iPhone on shuffle). That said, if you downloaded music for offline use, you need to redownload it since your device will automatically play the downloaded version. It would be very nice to have an auto-redownload functionality built in.

Lossless is also out right now. I haven’t tested that though.

Last note for those with Apple Music, the rollout is coming out slowly and gradually, you may not have access to it yet, so just wait patiently and it’ll eventually get to you.
There is head tracking. Lossless is quite limited to the lower end files. Highest I’ve heard is 24bit 96khz thus far

Jun 8, 2021 at 4:42 AM Post #4,217 of 5,629
There is head tracking. Lossless is quite limited to the lower end files. Highest I’ve heard is 24bit 96khz thus far
I didn’t get any head tracking with Apple Music. It’s an iOS 15 feature anyways.

Jun 8, 2021 at 4:51 AM Post #4,218 of 5,629
Can we benefit from Dolby Atmos already via the Apple TV or do we have to wait for TvOS15? Or is 15 just needed for true spatial audio?
it’ll be interesting how they manage to localise the headphones in relation to the screen, I wonder if we will need to use an airtag placed under the screen??

Jun 8, 2021 at 5:10 AM Post #4,219 of 5,629
I didn’t get any head tracking with Apple Music. It’s an iOS 15 feature anyways.
Hmm I see. I’m on iOS15 Beta.. works well but some static at times so the connection may not be that good all the time

Jun 8, 2021 at 5:12 AM Post #4,220 of 5,629
Can we benefit from Dolby Atmos already via the Apple TV or do we have to wait for TvOS15? Or is 15 just needed for true spatial audio?
it’ll be interesting how they manage to localise the headphones in relation to the screen, I wonder if we will need to use an airtag placed under the screen??
I’m installing TvOS 15 now. I think they’re smart enough to guess where the Tv is. Same as how it guesses where I’m facing even with the phone in my pocket playing music with spatial audio.

Jun 8, 2021 at 6:16 AM Post #4,221 of 5,629
Kanye's Black Skinhead sounds amazing in Atmos on my airpods max. Quite excited to see where this thing goes, now that Apple is in it more Dolby Atmos music will come.

I was listening to the latest from Wolf Alice and it sounds really good, but I think it’s just the power of placebo at work. ☺️

That one has no lossless / remaster / atmos badge so i believe it's the same as it was before. Nice album though yeah

Jun 8, 2021 at 6:48 AM Post #4,224 of 5,629
I’m torn on the spatial audio.

Some tracks are better than others, but in general, there’s a lack of immediacy to the sound.

It sounds very three dimensional and far better than most of the audio effect gimmicks we’ve all seen over the years, but in general, it’s still a distant sound. It sounds like I’m at the recording studio with the artist, but way at the back of the room, or perhaps listening from behind a thin wall.

In other words, there’s a realism to the sound but I’m not sure if I like it. Music isn’t necessarily mastered for realism. It’s mastered to sound good to your ears, not necessarily to sound like you’re in the presence of a live band. Those are two different exercises.

Jun 8, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #4,226 of 5,629
I’m torn on the spatial audio.

Some tracks are better than others, but in general, there’s a lack of immediacy to the sound.

It sounds very three dimensional and far better than most of the audio effect gimmicks we’ve all seen over the years, but in general, it’s still a distant sound. It sounds like I’m at the recording studio with the artist, but way at the back of the room, or perhaps listening from behind a thin wall.

In other words, there’s a realism to the sound but I’m not sure if I like it. Music isn’t necessarily mastered for realism. It’s mastered to sound good to your ears, not necessarily to sound like you’re in the presence of a live band. Those are two different exercises.
Yup. Doesn’t work for every song since they weren’t recorded for such playback. In the future though? Hmm..

Still, miles ahead of whatever my Creative sXFI tried to do.

Jun 8, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #4,228 of 5,629
I’m installing TvOS 15 now. I think they’re smart enough to guess where the Tv is. Same as how it guesses where I’m facing even with the phone in my pocket playing music with spatial audio.
Is this limited to only 4K Apple TV’s? Or even just the latest 4K Apple TV? I’m currently on an older device.

Jun 8, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #4,229 of 5,629
So I like it... but it’s not blowing me away. I wonder if the sweet spot for a WOW Atmos effect is NOT the APM? I listened to The Weeknd demo and really couldn’t tell the difference. Much more noticeable on the Gaye demo.

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #4,230 of 5,629
So I like it... but it’s not blowing me away. I wonder if the sweet spot for a WOW Atmos effect is NOT the APM? I listened to The Weeknd demo and really couldn’t tell the difference. Much more noticeable on the Gaye demo.
Quieter recordings tend to do better with better, more linear headphones. Though some of the Atmos recordings can get a quite shrill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back